Icarus for Phantom 3S

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this app from the playstore to increase range? Does it work ok and is worth buying? Thanks

It looks sweet but their website isn't even fleshed out yet.
Do you want to be the first to try it ??

I'm one of the 10, and it works. My 3S is on firmware v1.5.7, I'm in a CE area, and both RC and AC are now set to 27dbm instead of the paltry 17dbm that they were on. Has it made a difference - yes, especially on the 2.4Ghz video connection.

I'd presume so, as I've been reliably informed that you're on 20dbm(100mw) and 27dbm would give you 500mw

For 5 bucks, I'll give it a shot. I cannot get out more than a couple hundred feet in a wide open field with no interference before getting RC & video disconnects.

So made the changes to 27, went out got sat lock and this is how far I got. :)

F 01m 44s 55.4 ft 39 ft Data Loss Downlink data connection lost for 63.5 seconds
G 01m 44s 55.4 ft 39 ft Mode Mode changed to AutoLanding
H 01m 44s 55.4 ft 39 ft Warning Signal Lost. Aircraft Returning Home

I never got signal back on it - it ran the RTH and landed.

Last edited:
For 5 bucks, I'll give it a shot. I cannot get out more than a couple hundred feet in a wide open field with no interference before getting RC & video disconnects.

So made the changes to 27, went out got sat lock and this is how far I got. :)

F 01m 44s 55.4 ft 39 ft Data Loss Downlink data connection lost for 63.5 seconds
G 01m 44s 55.4 ft 39 ft Mode Mode changed to AutoLanding
H 01m 44s 55.4 ft 39 ft Warning Signal Lost. Aircraft Returning Home

I never got signal back on it - it ran the RTH and landed.

So has it screwed up your system?

I reset using the app, and tried to fly again, and it seemed off to me, so I reinstalled the firmware, and it is back to normal. I cannot say for sure but it did not seem right.

Mmm. I tried running it and it said it had successfully applied the patch, but after rebooting it then said the db level was 17, so I dunno if I did it wrong or what but it doesn't seem to have done anything.

Will try flying it tomorrow if the weather is OK, see if it is still working normally. Dunno why I'm messing around with this bird; supposed to be selling it at the weekend. Think I'm just frustrated that I don't have a Mavic :)

Worked for me no problem. Telnetted (is that even a word?) into the AC and ran "iw list" command - everything in the 2.4ghz band is 27dbm

I don't even know what telnet means, so have decided to leave it alone.

As far as I could tell you just select the 4 check boxes and tell it to "apply"? The sliders were both set at 27 db but when I ran the check again it said 17 db for both, so other than sliding the sliders that were already slid, what else is there to do with it?

Once you run it, check all the boxes, apply. The reboot the drone, use the menu and check rc, or check ac to see the set values.

That's exactly what I did, though it was saying 17 db. Having said that I just booted up my P3S, remote and phone again, and now the check is showing 26 db for the AC and 27 for the RC (I did actually try setting it at 26, to reduce battery drain/heat).

OK, so allegedly it worked.. :)

Will try to squeeze in a test flight tomorrow.

I really am on a knife-edge between spunking on a Mavic, and being penniless for ages, or just keeping Fanny and lugging her around in a backpack.

Update - before turning it off just now, it flashed red "Control signal weak" a couple of times - with the RC on the table beside the drone? That doesn't inspire much confidence..

I am urging people to think twice about turning things up to the full 27db.

The output transistor (it may be inside an ic) was running at 100mw (FCC).
But now you are putting 500mw through it.
If it doesn't have the proper heat sink you could fry it.
Why would the factory use any heat sink at all for 1/10 of a watt? You just don't need one.
But 1/2 watt is a different matter.

2nd:
The battery in a P3S is only 3.7 volts.
I haven't heard of radios putting out .5 watts on 3.7 volts.
I would expect to see at least 6 volts.
When you try to pull more power from an output stage than the voltage can sustain you get what's called clipping.
That is a distortion of the radio signal.
The signal may be un usable.

I don't even know what telnet means, so have decided to leave it alone.

As far as I could tell you just select the 4 check boxes and tell it to "apply"? The sliders were both set at 27 db but when I ran the check again it said 17 db for both, so other than sliding the sliders that were already slid, what else is there to do with it?
If you checked all four boxes (two are for the Telnet) then you install it, like you should. You can't check the levels afterwards if you don't install it, says so right in the readme file. And just because the sliders are at 27, doesn't mean you can't change them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31