I unlocked the NFZ!!

Yes. I know to keep my AC below the cruising altitude of the AC going and coming from the airport. Plus I don’t have to contact ATC unless I am doing a paid job. Around my house I just practice maneuvering and smooth cinematic filming.

If you’re flying within 5 miles of center of airport flying as a hobbyist, part 336, you need to contact ATC. You can use AirMap ‎AirMap for Drones to get number. You can use this site ArcGIS Web Application to see the altitude restrictions in your intended flight location. Be safe my friend.

Alex

What the OP is talking about is that despite the warning “you cannot take off” what you just need to do is, try to take off (I press the automatic take off button, but you can also just try to start the props) and only then, if you have internet access, does it present the dialog boxes for self authorization. This needs to be documented by DJI!

Reactions: Pharm
If you’re located within the a box with 0 (zero)
IMG_0343.jpg
the DJI app will not let you start motors. You will have to agree to if you are qualified to fly in this area to receive unlock code. If you are flying part 107 there is a chance ATC will let you fly, if part 336 you are SOL. If you are within the other boxes of 200, 300, or 400 you will be able to start your motors and fly. Just keep in mind you will need ATC authorization if you are flying on surface area of class B, C, or D airspace.

Reactions: Catnlion
What the OP is talking about is that despite the warning “you cannot take off” what you just need to do is, try to take off (I press the automatic take off button, but you can also just try to start the props) and only then, if you have internet access, does it present the dialog boxes for self authorization. This needs to be documented by DJI!

mmmmm little more detail than first post gave ...

I tried it today with my P3P and no joy ...

But I had no internet access .. which next time out - I will activate as my house has a boosted WiFi router to cover down to my boats ...

Nigel

mmmmm little more detail than first post gave ...

I tried it today with my P3P and no joy ...

But I had no internet access .. which next time out - I will activate as my house has a boosted WiFi router to cover down to my boats ...

Nigel

Yes you will need internet access. For sure.

If you’re located within the a box with 0 (zero) View attachment 107537 the DJI app will not let you start motors. You will have to agree to if you are qualified to fly in this area to receive unlock code. If you are flying part 107 there is a chance ATC will let you fly, if part 336 you are SOL. If you are within the other boxes of 200, 300, or 400 you will be able to start your motors and fly. Just keep in mind you will need ATC authorization if you are flying on surface area of class B, C, or D airspace.
Nice link. I'm looking at the Flushing Meadow Park airfield, 200. Whew. So is the Forest Park field, which is on the border of JFK's LAANC space here. Yay. I think. Terrible field anyway - the only VLOS is basically straight up.

Kissena Park is a 0 however. LOL...

[does a little web surfing]

Not really an airfield after all! :rolleyes: Glad I looked.

Lower Manhattan shows nothing, even with all the airspaces checked....

Nice link. I'm looking at the Flushing Meadow Park airfield, 200. Whew. So is the Forest Park field, which is on the border of JFK's LAANC space here. Yay. I think. Terrible field anyway - the only VLOS is basically straight up.

Kissena Park is a 0 however. LOL...

[does a little web surfing]

Not really an airfield after all! :rolleyes: Glad I looked.

Lower Manhattan shows nothing, even with all the airspaces checked....

Keep in mind this site is only showing you the surface layer airspace. You still have class E airspace starting at 1200 to 1499 then B airspace at 1500 to 7000 in lower Manhattan. But you don’t have to worry about that, unless you have a flyaway. If you fly in this area you should purchase a handheld com aviation radio or have the ATC number on your phone on speed dial.
View attachment 107593

Keep in mind this site is only showing you the surface layer airspace. You still have class E airspace starting at 1200 to 1499 then B airspace at 1500 to 7000 in lower Manhattan. But you don’t have to worry about that, unless you have a flyaway. If you fly in this area you should purchase a handheld com aviation radio or have the ATC number on your phone on speed dial.
View attachment 107593
Thanks, LOL, 1200' and up, I'm definitely not worried about that airspace! :)

Lower Manhattan is some BUSY airspace, particularly at low altitudes. Whirleybirds and seaplanes. The occasional military thing. And an occasional tourist who comes by too low.

Decades ago I used to listen to aviation frequencies on a scanner but given what I recall hearing, I'm not sure how useful that would be. Tips welcome. In fact, after some quick Googling, it looks like the seaport dock is on maritime radio, not aviation.

I have a https://www.amazon.com/Vertex-Standard-VXA-300-Pilot-Transceiver/dp/B001HVLCG2 from when I used to fly in case of radio failure. I’ve not needed to take out with me yet as I haven’t flown underneath class B yet. There is this app ‎LiveATC Air Radio that lets you tune in to ATC and listen to radio communications. There is about a 7 second lag from real time communication. They will either be handed off to ATC or they will have to contact them before entering class Bravo airspace.

Reactions: Hounddog
Any one know what error 200 is? My DJI GO4 won't let me take off and the software says ID error 200

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4