I have not been here in a while..... is the Phantom DOA or do we think that there will be a P5?

Reaction score
I have not been here in a while..... is the Phantom DOA or do we think that there will be a "5". I love my P4P and it performs like a champ. But I will need to replace in 2020 and would like the same form factor. Sorry if this is a topic that has been beaten to death. Just curious as to the prevailing thoughts. Thanks.

Judging by the way DJI have pulled the ladder up after themselves on their web site; The phantom has paved the way for future craft & we can only hope that the new craft will be at least as good as P3p. So far l am not sanguine on this hope.

Reactions: dolphin60
I think they just need to revamp it a little maybe something more stream line or something or retractable legs with a 360 view. I think after all these mavic pros, airs ,minis everyone looks at the phantom like how we phantom pilots look at a syma drone haha jk

I don’t think DJI will be continuing with the Phantom form factor going forward. It seems like they are now focusing on portable foldable drones for consumers exclusively.

That said, I do see the value of portable drones, I love my Spark because of its size as I can take it anywhere (hiking, biking, snowmobiling, Nordic skiing and kayaking and canoeing).

But, I also love my P3S. It’s easier to see in the sky, can handle more wind, and is not plagued by downward sensor problems in difficult weather like fog.

If DJI were to create a phantom form factor drone that could use interchangeable lenses at consumer prices, I’d be all in.

@PhoenixOne my first drone was a Syma X8G (see my avatar) that I modded with a 2 axis gimbal and a GoPro clone. Worked great until I crashed it and the gimbal got messed up. Still have it and enjoy ‘playing‘ with it.

Chris

I don’t think DJI will be continuing with the Phantom form factor going forward. It seems like they are now focusing on portable foldable drones for consumers exclusively.

That said, I do see the value of portable drones, I love my Spark because of its size as I can take it anywhere (hiking, biking, snowmobiling, Nordic skiing and kayaking and canoeing).

But, I also love my P3S. It’s easier to see in the sky, can handle more wind, and is not plagued by downward sensor problems in difficult weather like fog.

If DJI were to create a phantom form factor drone that could use interchangeable lenses at consumer prices, I’d be all in.

@PhoenixOne my first drone was a Syma X8G (see my avatar) that I modded with a 2 axis gimbal and a GoPro clone. Worked great until I crashed it and the gimbal got messed up. Still have it and enjoy ‘playing‘ with it.

Chris
I as well have many less expensive drones lol fron horizon hobby too..nanos to dromidas to sky vipers. I love drones in general as long as they have some cool features.. haul butt.. and/or reliable which equals fun to fly then ill.fly it any day i take care of my nanos like i do my biggins'

Attachments

• 1575133092043600220694485694993.jpg
    1575133092043600220694485694993.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
  • 15751331265791022481388049854088.jpg
    15751331265791022481388049854088.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 226
Reactions: beakeru2
Yes, plenty of speculation on the forums of a new generation Phantom 5 someday, but only speculation. No DJI Phantom support for over a year nor any official explanation. DJI is keeping their cards close to their chest if any plans. I love my P3S, still works great, and love the form factor over the mini stuff. Unfortunately, I think a future new member to the Phantom line is looking very grim at this point.

The Phantom series just checks so many boxes. My clients won't pay the extra cost of an Inspire quality aircraft. But showing up to a job with a Mavic just seems.... cheesy. My Obsidian model P4P+ always elicits oohs and aahs and the image quality is excellent for most uses. A P5P with improvements across the board would really be amazing.

I think they just need to revamp it a little maybe something more stream line or something or retractable legs with a 360 view. I think after all these mavic pros, airs ,minis everyone looks at the phantom like how we phantom pilots look at a syma drone haha jk

I think Inspire covers all of that.

I think Inspire covers all of that.
well they all cover it now.. the mavic air does the same as the mavic pro they are all alike besides size.. and i also meant a more friendly budget your still looking to spend some money getting into an inspire

Last edited:
The Mavic x air may
well they all cover it now.. the mavic air does the same as the mavic pro they are all alike besides size.. and i also meant a more friendly budget your still looking to spend some money getting into an inspire
The Mavic Air may even have better video than the Mavic pro, due to the poor lens in the Mavic pro, however the Air doesn't compare in range or flight duration. However the P4P, M2P and M2Z are way superior many ways, camera, flight range and duration. I would welcome a new Phantom, but I don't expect that for a couple years, maybe never.

Reactions: PhoenixOne
I have not been here in a while..... is the Phantom DOA or do we think that there will be a "5". I love my P4P and it performs like a champ. But I will need to replace in 2020 and would like the same form factor. Sorry if this is a topic that has been beaten to death. Just curious as to the prevailing thoughts. Thanks.
i have several dji drones and have been a dji customer since the fc-40 and have noticed dji tends to abandon models after awhile for example the ph2 vision plus wasn’t exactly old and over the hill before dji scrapped its app for it,i believe litchi sells it or did but my point is dji doesn’t get sentimental over their products and will walk away from them if they don’t feel theres any money in them.

Reactions: Capt KO
I have a strange feeling no more Phantom.

You cant find them anywhere for sale.

DJI stop support for most models including phantom 4.

I will be in China soon and will see if any for sale there.

Last time I was there they sold in airport gift shop.

If you can find a low hour bird buy it

Such a great flying camera

Wow another P5 thread. The search function would help answer this.

I'd personally like to see it, but it's not a feasible divestment for DJI with their current models/direction.

I'd personally like to see it, but it's not a feasible divestment for DJI with their current models/direction.
I think you're right, AFTER the video processor (Ambarella for instance) silicon can be reduced in geometry enough to reduce the power consumption, enough so it can be cooled adequately to produce 4K@60FPS. It seems the reason Mavic2Pro cannot do 4K@60FPS (like P4P) is due to the inability to keep the processor cool enough, something the P4P has been doing for 2yrs, because it's larger, able to dissipate the heat. If the Mavic3Pro can do 4K@60FPS, AND.... include a mechanical shutter (for photos), then the Phantom4P would have no advantages over Mavic. These are the two things P4P still does better. I like the portability of my M2, but I enjoy the camera in the P4P, not to mention the extra flight freedom I have, something M2 will never possess.

Reactions: roosta
Wow another P5 thread. The search function would help answer this.

Your still here aint ya? Lol and replied. You coulda searched and replied on those threads too.. but we are all here together.. jk my man. Dont be so harsh. This isnt directed at you in any way cause im sure the p5 has been over discussed. But everyone gets a little grumpy if you dont do a search first.. i get it but some people wanna hear the question answered after they put it in their own words. Not Johnnypants44's question verbatim. And also there could be more relevant info available at a later date so the question could have a different answer or opinion. And i can see the concept of keeping the same threads going on . But alot of people dont use the forum like a dictionary or goggle to look up the answer they have. They wanna communicate with other pilots. Idk its a 2 way st. i guess. Like I said not upset or pointing fingers or anything just curious and to also say I don't know how to use a forum lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.