I don't understand why anyone would let someone run them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, okay - let's calm down before this thread is closed!

I get that you live in a culture that facilitates citizens carrying weapons. I don't. I have kids (we don't live with Grandma and Grandad), as do most of my friends. We don't feel the need to carry weapons and we generally don't feel threatened. We live in the UK's fifth largest city.

It's illegal to carry weapons.

Sure, there are plenty of loons out there - I see them all the time, and the area I live in is a bit rough. But whilst there are daily news reports of violence in this country, it is nothing like what we see reported in many other countries.

If I did feel the need to carry a weapon and was caught by the police, I could be looking at jail time. So I guess this is one reason most people don't carry, and that means more hand-to-hand combat on the streets! I say that tongue-in-cheek - I don't see fighting other than the drunks out at the weekend.

When people from, say, the US come over to the UK, they can't take their weapons with them. There are a lot of US visitors.

I'm a Chuck fan and trained in kickboxing and karate. Fair point - I'm sure he's not scared at all!

It sure is unfortunate for those caught up in violence and unable to defend themselves, but I wouldn't want to live in the UK if those loons I referred to previously were allowed to carry guns.

UK

Reactions: movius
I think the difference is between the two countries and the laws as well as the culture. If you don't live here in the United States then you cannot comment on the reality we live with, just as I would not attempt to comment on how it is to live in the UK. In America, if, for example a boy growing up were a boy scout, he would be taught to be prepared. I choose that method. It's just like being prepared going into a job interview. And using pepper spray would be a last resort after talking, showing others that the pictures I take are not spying etc. Good flying to all.

I think the difference is between the two countries and the laws as well as the culture. If you don't live here in the United States then you cannot comment on the reality we live with, just as I would not attempt to comment on how it is to live in the UK. In America, if, for example a boy growing up were a boy scout, he would be taught to be prepared. I choose that method. It's just like being prepared going into a job interview. And using pepper spray would be a last resort after talking, showing others that the pictures I take are not spying etc. Good flying to all.

Fair enough. Safe flying all.

UK

If that's you want to call anyone who is prepared to defend themselves have at it.
I think you're naive and living a very protected life.
Is Chuck Norris "scared" since he is a walking self defense weapon?
You would probably say anyone who has martial arts training is "scared" wouldn't you?
Are Police "scared" since they carry guns? You confuse scared with prepared.
Are women who carry Pepper Spray "scared or just prepared?
What about people who own guns? All "scared"?

Do you still live with mommy and daddy?
If you feel you need to carry pepper spray just to fly your drone, you are either scared or flying in the wrong neighborhood.

Comparing an armed drone pilot to Chuck Norris or the police is just silly in my opinion.

If I can't have a relaxed flight, I have no enjoyment. Having to watch over my shoulder with one eye, and have one hand ready to go for my weapon (pepper spray...) while flying would end my drone flying hobby. Simple as that.

A young woman walking across a dark college campus at night, or through a parking garage after hours, is not comparable to someone flying an RC aircraft in broad daylight.

LOL, was an Eagle Scout here. Yes, it taught me to be prepared.
It DIDN'T teach me to be paranoid.

If you feel the need to arm yourself just to fly your drone, you are either scared, or flying in the wrong neighborhood, IMO.

LOL, was an Eagle Scout here. Yes, it taught me to be prepared.
It DIDN'T teach me to be paranoid.

If you feel the need to arm yourself just to fly your drone, you are either scared, or flying in the wrong neighborhood, IMO.

I have never had a problem. But, I also have not been flying that long. Also, this thread has alerted me to the issues that may come up, hence being prepared. We are also talking about the loons in America which are many and are everywhere when you least expect it. To prove my point about loons, I will tell you of an incident that happened to me.
I was driving home from the gym one night. I passed this truck, looked like a Ford F250, passing is legal and happens a lot if a person is driving too slowly. A bit later I was slowing down for another vehicle in front of me. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw this same truck with the passenger hanging out his window ready to throw something at me. He did throw what looked like a can of soda or beer at me. What could possibly prompt this behavior? Because I passed him? Go figure. There are loons out there and you never know what they will do. I didn't have any pepper spray with me and being that there were two of them, I got out of there fast. These guys were looking for a fight. I didn't give them one as I may have lost, two against one. I'm not paranoid but will be prepared. Even with pepper spray, I would have chosen to get out of there. You can't win against crazy people. The loons teach you to be prepared, not paranoid. I am a happy non-paranoid flyer ready to stand up for my rights!

Okay, okay - let's calm down before this thread is closed!

I get that you live in a culture that facilitates citizens carrying weapons. I don't. I have kids (we don't live with Grandma and Grandad), as do most of my friends. We don't feel the need to carry weapons and we generally don't feel threatened. We live in the UK's fifth largest city.

It's illegal to carry weapons.

Sure, there are plenty of loons out there - I see them all the time, and the area I live in is a bit rough. But whilst there are daily news reports of violence in this country, it is nothing like what we see reported in many other countries.

If I did feel the need to carry a weapon and was caught by the police, I could be looking at jail time. So I guess this is one reason most people don't carry, and that means more hand-to-hand combat on the streets! I say that tongue-in-cheek - I don't see fighting other than the drunks out at the weekend.

When people from, say, the US come over to the UK, they can't take their weapons with them. There are a lot of US visitors.

I'm a Chuck fan and trained in kickboxing and karate. Fair point - I'm sure he's not scared at all!

It sure is unfortunate for those caught up in violence and unable to defend themselves, but I wouldn't want to live in the UK if those loons I referred to previously were allowed to carry guns.

UK
I've been in the UK and other countries, and I always carried a weapon. It's not just the bad guys. If you don't like it, fine, put your head back in the sand, and get over it.

Reactions: NRJ and JKDSensei
I've been in the UK and other countries, and I always carried a weapon. It's not just the bad guys. If you don't like it, fine, put your head back in the sand, and get over it.

I'm very proud of you. But apparently you need to work on your reading comprehension. Specifically, this:
A not so gentle reminder:
  • Don't be offensive.
  • Stay on topic or don't post.
  • Out of context opinions on guns or political sentiment are not welcome.

This thread has run its course. CLOSED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj