I don't understand why anyone would let someone run them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunset

Attachments

• 1454706469237.jpg
    1454706469237.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 330
Reactions: wolvesfc
Wouldn't mind taking some sunset pics myself but it's been a long time since the sun has made an appearance here in Middle England..,

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Pommo
I've met people that were concerned at first, but turned them on to the joys of owning a drone.
It's all in how you handle the situation. A positive attitude wins friends.

Reactions: Grae
I am seeing more and more posts about people saying someone said I couldn't fly here, or someone threatened me, or someone is going to smash my drone.. etc. My question when I read these posts is why don't you stand up for yourself. If someone threatens you I would think you would have every right to defend yourself. If someone threatens to damage your property you should have every right to defend your property. So when someone says something to you why pack up and leave or move. Keep flying until you're told you cannot by someone in a position of authority. IMO all you are doing is feeding these idiots egos and allowing them to think they have the right to tell someone else what to do.
I just tell them I have a very specialize drone that can photograph what they are thinking about doing to morrow and I already have them on disk.

In our rural area we sometimes have difficulty with people up in the forest. I have thousands of acres around. The first thing I do is ignore their comments and grab some pictures of them and their car plates and email them out. Then I conduct the discussion. Just tryo threatening someone's life on disk.

Flying over vast wooded areas your number one concern is probably hunters shooting it down for giggles.

When someone tells me they don't want me filming them I usually respond with, "don't worry, you're not that interesting." That typically shuts them up.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

You are right. Our hobby has gotten enough bad press, for all the wrong reasons, so we need to be careful. People have wrong idea of why we fly, so education when folks stop to see what we are up to is going to help. The outright lie about a Phantom being able to spy on someone is laughable, except people believe what they see on the news. Explaining to someone that sneaking up on them with a Phantom would be like them sneaking up on me with their camera phone, while holding a running leafblower, and they come around. I show them the view while hovering a 50 feet, and ask if they can even identify the make of car driving down the street, and they start to understand that I'm doing videos of the lake or the landscape. I have 2 folks looking at getting a small quad to learn how to fly.

I've had some hassles in my area too. I keep telling them there's no way I can spy on you without you knowing it. I ran across this YouTube video which proves my point. Once I distributed it via Facebook & neighborhood email group, no problems.

You are right. Our hobby has gotten enough bad press, for all the wrong reasons, so we need to be careful. People have wrong idea of why we fly, so education when folks stop to see what we are up to is going to help. The outright lie about a Phantom being able to spy on someone is laughable, except people believe what they see on the news. Explaining to someone that sneaking up on them with a Phantom would be like them sneaking up on me with their camera phone, while holding a running leafblower, and they come around. I show them the view while hovering a 50 feet, and ask if they can even identify the make of car driving down the street, and they start to understand that I'm doing videos of the lake or the landscape. I have 2 folks looking at getting a small quad to learn how to fly.
Right on and well said!

I am seeing more and more posts about people saying someone said I couldn't fly here, or someone threatened me, or someone is going to smash my drone.. etc. My question when I read these posts is why don't you stand up for yourself. If someone threatens you I would think you would have every right to defend yourself. If someone threatens to damage your property you should have every right to defend your property. So when someone says something to you why pack up and leave or move. Keep flying until you're told you cannot by someone in a position of authority. IMO all you are doing is feeding these idiots egos and allowing them to think they have the right to tell someone else what to do.
confrontation is not a solution to the problem. Drone already has image issue, we don't need to add more fuels to the situation.

I've had some hassles in my area too. I keep telling them there's no way I can spy on you without you knowing it. I ran across this YouTube video which proves my point. Once I distributed it via Facebook & neighborhood email group, no problems.

That is the perfect video to show how stupid the media is on the subject of spying witth any UAV. Of course they would never share this on what they laughably call the "news" so the hysteria will continue.

You hit the nail on the head, actually. You used the term "idiots". I'm not looking to get in a confrontation with an idiot. They tend to do idiotic things, like grossly overreact. It's not worth it to me.

Just the other day, two people were killed over $25.
Truest thing I've read on this forum. Don't find out the hard way that being right doesn't always mean you will win in the end of whatever it is.

Wouldn't mind taking some sunset pics myself but it's been a long time since the sun has made an appearance here in Middle England..,

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Or anywhere in England!!

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Sounds like your a troll baiting an argument about commercial use of your drone.

(Unless you are a commercial operator which was not mentioned)

Well I interpreted that as he said he would "give" the video to them, not "sell" it to them. I think he did good.

I carry law enforcement Fox 5.3 attitude adjustment spray / idiot control.

I don't understand all the anti-gun hysteria anymore than I understand the drone hysteria. Bad people are going to do bad things regardless.
A knife stab wound is a really serious injury as is a baseball bat or club to the head.
Good people aren't going to do bad things with either, regardless.
Why not just deal severely with bad folks and let good folks be free?

Ok, back on topic.......

You make a good point. Pepper spray would be a good idiot control method for drone pilots. I like it. Thanks, I'm off to the store.

I don't think we live in a time where a wise man's philosophy holds much weight any more. But if using that theory makes you comfortable run with it!

A wise man's philosophy may not carry much weight but that is not what matters. What matters, is if he uses his philosophy in a right manner that counts and if hopefully it works. A philosophy may not always work either.

I had one person come tell me i was not allowed to fly here ,,It was my property ,, i flew down took a pic and said thanks your trespassing please leave , They phoned the police and when they turned up i said this is my land ,, they left laughing ??? go figure ,,cant beat stupid .

Reactions: ObiDon
This is the worst thread I've read on here; it's indicative of how screwed up the human race is. If a drone pilot has pepper spray with them (the idea of adding a can of mace in your kit would label you an absolute psycho here in the UK), that tells me the pilot is prepared to use it and is probably going to attract a negative situation. It also tells me the pilot is scared. A positive attitude and the ability to talk to people is the way forward. When I take my drone out I focus on flying.

UK

Reactions: GoodnNuff
This is the worst thread I've read on here; it's indicative of how screwed up the human race is. If a drone pilot has pepper spray with them (the idea of adding a can of mace in your kit would label you an absolute psycho here in the UK), that tells me the pilot is prepared to use it and is probably going to attract a negative situation. It also tells me the pilot is scared. A positive attitude and the ability to talk to people is the way forward. When I take my drone out I focus on flying.
UK

So anyone who carries pepper spray is scared, a psycho and attracting negative situations.
Police carry it.
Women carry it.
Military sometimes carries it.
Postal employees in the US carry it
Pepper spray is actually a very popular product.

Maybe it's called being realistic and smart.
Maybe you live in Disneyland?

Now I've heard it all. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
What? Who are you calling screwed up? What makes you think everyone who approaches you just wants to talk and be friendly?
You better believe I'm prepared to use it. That makes the other guy very lucky.
This has got to be the most bizzare posting I have seen in a LONG time.
You sound like the perfect victim waiting to happen.
A little advice, maybe you live in Disneyland, but I live in a major urban area and unfortunately, bad people aren't just a fantasy.
I carry pepper spray because I don't want to kill anyone over a hobby aircraft that they might decide they are entitled to it or think I have no right to own or fly it.
Noone else knows I have it. How is having it attracting negative situations?
How is leaving yourself open and vulnerable wise?

By your logic, only a psycho would care to protect their family at home? So anyone who has a gun in their home would be an absolute psycho?
Have you not heard of the word ISIS? Do you not know they are coming to your area and want you dead? With the huge flow of Middle Eastern immigrants into Europe and all the stories we're hearing of mayhem, you say this? Really?

Maybe you should call up Tevin Geike's family and explain how there's nothing to fear on the streets of the UK?
In case you don't know, he's the guy (in the UK) who got hacked up minding his own business by two "proper gentlemen" he must have "attracted".
Maybe if he had been carrying Mace he would be alive to go home to his family today?
I guess Police are negative people trying to attract a negative situation because they carry guns after all? Soldiers are trying to "attract negative situations" as well I suppose? Sheeesh!

There are people on the streets on all kinds of hallucinogenic drugs like bath salts that will attack you for no reason.
Try your positive attitude and reasoning with one of those space cadets.

I find your comment VERY offensive to be honest.
Maybe you have the luxury of flying in very safe, exclusive areas. I don't.
There is a time to talk and reason, and there is a time to be a man and defend yourself and loved ones. A good number of good people at this forum have been harassed while flying their Phantoms. They should also be offended by your suggestion that being prepared to defend yourself is "Psycho"
Some of the nicest people get attacked for no reason. It's life. It happens. Pretending it doesn't is asking for it. Knockout game...you suggest we just explain to these fine contestants the malevolence in their ways and like magic, they'll become gentlemen?

The poster above was even told by someone he was not allowed to fly on his own property.

Now I've heard it all. :rolleyes:

You are one scared dude.

UK

You are one scared dude.
UK

If that's you want to call anyone who is prepared to defend themselves have at it.
I think you're naive and living a very protected life.
Is Chuck Norris "scared" since he is a walking self defense weapon?
You would probably say anyone who has martial arts training is "scared" wouldn't you?
Are Police "scared" since they carry guns? You confuse scared with prepared.
Are women who carry Pepper Spray "scared or just prepared?
What about people who own guns? All "scared"?

Do you still live with mommy and daddy?

Reactions: ObiDon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl