I [don't] have approval to fly above 500m, but is it possible?

Doesnt Litchi allow >500meters or was that only on the older version?
Yes.
Litchi_2.3.1_BETA.apk and firmware 1.4.
Litchi_2.3.1_BETA.apk and the older firmware allowed 6K ceiling.
I don't see the point though... Just edit your photo with a slight curved horizon :)
The best shots are the ones less than 400ft.

I am sure a lot of you will have come across my videos. Certainly not trying to break records, not brave enough anyway, but a lot of my filming involves the heli climbing up to the height of my nearest hill and taking a peek over. That hill is measured at 1029 feet. To look at it though you would never, well I wouldn't anyway, guess it was that high. If I kept to the recommended 400 feet I would have a badly dented drone by now. There are no houses, roads and (hopefully) no other aircraft up there. They tend to fly around or remain high up.

Also as its human nature I am sure each of us has bitten the bullet so to speak and maxed out the height. Just the once to try it. (Flame proof jacket now on) It is a bit like the speed limit in the car. Ok in the UK it is 70 mph but haven't you been driving down the motorway at 4 am a long stretch of empty road in front of you. Bright moon lit night. Saying to yourself......... go on........... try 75mph :)
or similar.

If we always kept to the rules life would become a little tedious. But this is the way things are learned and yes sometimes its a mistake. We tend to learn through mistakes and as long as no one else or their property is damaged/hurt no real harm done. Except of course it may cost you a drone and bit of confidence or pride.

We are only human if a limit is set someone will always try to nudge it. If the limit was set to 6000 feet Id bet money on someone trying to make it 7000 feet, or 90mph down the Motorway (freeway?)

Life is far too short for too much health and safety stuff. A touch of common sense and thinking of others is my mantra on life. Go on have real butter on your toast instead of that plastic marge. Live dangerously. :)

When you hit 500m it will stop ascending. There were rumours of hitting RTH then that would allow you to manually over-ride that, but I haven't tried it. 500 is pretty high - at least it was the one time I tried it. Make sure you have enough battery to get back down!

Only takes battery to go up, not down.

When you hit 500m it will stop ascending. There were rumours of hitting RTH then that would allow you to manually over-ride that, but I haven't tried it. 500 is pretty high - at least it was the one time I tried it. Make sure you have enough battery to get back down!
Who's giving the authority and where are you flying?

Reactions: WWK888
So would trying to catch it with a big fluffy pillow... why restart the motors?
image.jpeg

That would be as effective as an open on impact parachute!

Terminal velocity of a Phantom is about 35 MPH, so it would have to be an enormous fluffy pillow.;)

What if he has that older firmware? I'm still on 1.4 and old Litchi app has permitted me to set higher. I've not tried to exceed 500 though to say whether it might not actually work out.

Again, Litchi used to, but it was referencing an old firmware version that no longer exists. Again, the limit is hardwired into the Phantom. No ways to get around it, and frankly, no reason to ever want to.

If you were wanting to fly over a 500m plus hill and you had the nerve, you could fly to 480 meters, find a place to land, land and reset your home point, take off again you would be cleared for another 500m. The problem would be the 200 m below your home point limit so you would have to set down three times to get home.

If you were wanting to fly over a 500m plus hill and you had the nerve, you could fly to 480 meters, find a place to land, land and reset your home point, take off again you would be cleared for another 500m. The problem would be the 200 m below your home point limit so you would have to set down three times to get home.

eh? Does that really work? Has anyone validated this? If so, all you need to is reset your home point in mid-air repeatedly until your in the stratosphere...

I think the bird resets the altitude every time you power cycle. Resetting your home point just tells the bird a new lateral RTH position. You need to some how remotely turn the phantom off and on and then take off.

And you don't need to set it down 3 times to get it home. The bird will NOT shut down the motors if it thinks the altitude is zero or below the "home point limit".

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic