I [don't] have approval to fly above 500m, but is it possible?

Newb drone user.... 500m limit is above sea level or above starting point?

I ask because I take mountain road trips with a car club and I'd like to take some shots with the P3A and many of those roads are above 1500'.

500m above take-off point.

DJI specs. the max altitude for operation at 6000m.

How does the p3 determine height anyway?

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

Going to Colorado soon and taking my P3A. Just armchair troubleshooting here, but can you take off from one point lower on the mountain, climb until you reach the limit, then change your home point to a spot higher on the mountain, which would put you less than the max AGL, then climb some more?

Slightly off topic, but the phantom series uses a barometer that calibrates zero AGL then calculates altitude during flight, and of course it can also use VPS when closer to the ground.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

How does the p3 determine height anyway?

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app
Heights are calculated with reference to home point.

Newb drone user.... 500m limit is above sea level or above starting point?

I ask because I take mountain road trips with a car club and I'd like to take some shots with the P3A and many of those roads are above 1500'.
Above home point set before taking off.

Slightly off topic, but the phantom series uses a barometer that calibrates zero AGL then calculates altitude during flight, and of course it can also use VPS when closer to the ground.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
VPS/ GPS are primarily used to compute your differential position at a height.

And.....that would be BS. Once again, it is hardwired into the firmware on the aircraft. DJI simply doesn't "specially" give you a new aircraft that can do this because you had your "authorities" call. This is nonsense.
May be a BS or a nonsense, but it's true that all of your doors get closed if you presume nothing more can be done.

Reactions: MrTommy
No explanation needed. It's business of his own, and nobody else needs to know of this, unless of course he feels like sharing this detail.

If @ANS has "approval from authorities" to fly above 500m with a P3 as part of "sanctioned, supervised and approved event" as he claims, it shouldn't be much of an issue for him to provide some details.

If he can't provide any details, well... either he's on a top secret mission or... he has no business above 400ft let alone 500m. I'll let you be the judge.

Reactions: Lonewolf
Nothing to presume. It is true. It's like saying- why don't you walk into a Mercedes dealer and ask for a new car for $5? If you don't, your doors are closed!

May be a BS or a nonsense, but it's true that all of your doors get closed if you presume nothing more can be done.

That was a long time ago before they fixed that bug. As said by a million people a million times, no longer possible.

Just saying...

I have no intention to try this. My alt is set to 400' and to date I have never flown above that.

That was a long time ago before they fixed that bug. As said by a million people a million times, no longer possible.
As I said, have not and will not try it. I have no desire. Just know it is/was possible. Suppose it might still be possible depending on user's SW and FW versions. I am still running 1.1.9.

So what software/firmware version did they patch it?

If @ANS has "approval from authorities" to fly above 500m with a P3 as part of "sanctioned, supervised and approved event" as he claims, it shouldn't be much of an issue for him to provide some details.

If he can't provide any details, well... either he's on a top secret mission or... he has no business above 400ft let alone 500m. I'll let you be the judge.
I think the OP meant 500ft not 500m.

You may be very interested in getting these details from him, but never the less, there is no reason why he should share, and even less reason for him to feel an obligation to do so. Some people seem to think they are in their right to impose their own opinions and perceptions on others and others just don't get it.

P3P W323B GL300C, APP V.2.6.0, AIRCRAFT V.1.6.40, RC V.1.5.70, AUTOPILOT V3.1A.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You may be very interested in getting these details from him, but never the less, there is no reason why he should share, and even less reason for him to feel an obligation to do so. Some people seem to think they are in their right to impose their own opinions and perceptions on others and others just don't get it.

In the aviation industry, people share information for the benefit of others. The OP's unwillingness to offer any information underscores the likelihood that they have no such authorization.

And considering that the FAA considers it a violation of existing regulations to breach the 400ft limit, it is very much within my right to interrogate and question a request to do so. So thank you for your opinion but I will keep asking until I am satisfied with the answer.

In the aviation industry, people share information for the benefit of others. The OP's unwillingness to offer any information underscores the likelihood that they have no such authorization.

And considering that the FAA considers it a violation of existing regulations to breach the 400ft limit, it is very much within my right to interrogate and question a request to do so. So thank you for your opinion but I will keep asking until I am satisfied with the answer.

You do know there is a world outside the FAA, right?. It's not all FAA. Sharing regulatory information is not really the kind of information sharing that the "Aviation industry" is benefiting from, from a safety perspective.

Of course you can demand and do whatever you want, just don't expect to have this information "shared". I wouldn't hold my breath, but good luck with getting that information.

P3P W323B GL300C, APP V.2.6.0, AIRCRAFT V.1.6.40, RC V.1.5.70, AUTOPILOT V3.1A.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You do know there is a world outside the FAA, right?. It's not all FAA.

OP is in the US and thus under FAA regulation.

Regardless, the whole debate is moot. The current firmware prevents flight above 500m.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20