How to update firmware

Reaction score
Due health issues have not been able to fly my P4 for about 6 months.
Need to update the firmware and read a lot of the threads and at times they seem to conflict on how to do the update.
How is the best way to update the controller, P4 etc with the right firmware?

Thanks
RC

Need to update the firmware and read a lot of the threads and at times they seem to conflict on how to do the update.

While it's often a personal choice to update or not, there seems to be something of a "consensus" here that, unless the update is absolutely required (as in, your Phantom will not fly without doing the update) you may want to hold off performing any updates. I don't know what the correlation is but there seems to be, based on the number of reported issues here, that performing updates may create more issues than they solve. I'm sure there are some here who would take issue with me on that point but, I don't believe that I'm alone in my beliefs. Its not that I'm superstitious. My P3S performs flawlessly without any recent updates and I prefer to keep it that way. Again, just my 2 cents.

The suggestion to use Litchi may be something to consider as it's a more user-friendly environment without the intrusive nature of the GO apps.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I’ve never had issues with updating FW or SW and have had more problems with Litchi if the truth be known. Here is a link to @msinger and his process for updating:
HOW TO: Install Phantom 4 firmware

I'm am genuinely happy to hear that the updates have gone well for you. I truly wish that everyone's experience was just as good. As for me, I'm good, thank you.

I stopped updating at 1.1.90 (P3P/A), only use litchi for flights, only use a firewalled DJI go for settings not in Litchi. Life is good.

Reactions: quaddamage
While it's often a personal choice to update or not, there seems to be something of a "consensus" here that, unless the update is absolutely required (as in, your Phantom will not fly without doing the update) you may want to hold off performing any updates. I don't know what the correlation is but there seems to be, based on the number of reported issues here, that performing updates may create more issues than they solve.
I'm not sure why this advice is repeated over and over. It's often dished out by people who've never attempted to install updates.

As for seeing issues related to firmware updates, you're always going to see those here. The majority of people come here when they are in need of help.

And some people have experience with updates and hope to help others avoid the unneeded bovine recycle of the pushing of said updates. If you've not experienced headaches from unnecessary updates, then you've not had enough experiences...

And some people have experience with updates and hope to help others avoid the unneeded bovine recycle of the pushing of said updates.
Most firmware updates are optional. And assuming you're not flying under FAA Part 107, you could skip them if you don't want to install them. However, there's no need to continuously attempt to scare people away if they are interested in installing them. They are normally easy to install when done properly.

Most firmware updates are optional. And assuming you're not flying under FAA Part 107, you could skip them if you don't want to install them. However, there's no need to continuously attempt to scare people away if they are interested in installing them. They are normally easy to install when done properly.
ALL updates are optional.. Most flyers aren't 107 imprisoned .. If the updates are essential, reading the release notes (if FULLY revealed) will let the user know if ANY parts of the update will benefit their needs. As you know, "East coast", updates as of late are only to lock down the Phantom. If the user is willing to be further downgraded, then have at it. As far as "Continually attempting to scare away" potential updaters, do you really adhere to the idea that "Any" update is a great update? Anyone is free to update and either enjoy or return here to ask "What can I do to fix it?".. Updates are easy to do.. it's the fixing it that (In some cases) can prove to be a headache. I only share what I feel is the best to my case (I've been there and not a sheep) scenario. I don't think that just prodding people into doing what not may be best in their case is what experienced people like me do.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
(Although, I do agree lots of drone flyers DO need to be locked down).. (See you tube)..

That's likely a true statement for anyone who's been involved with this site or DJI products for any length of time. Sadly, that bit of crucial wisdom is NOT widely known/general knowledge outside of this site, or to the first-time Phantom user. You open the box, get it connected, power it up, and you get a message stating that an update is needed. Nothing tells that individual that the update is optional, or that there could be unintended consequences as a result of the update. The fact that numerous people find their way here with unexpected issues after updating/ attempting to update affirms that. I would agree that we're here to help individuals in this sport, but I firmly believe that not informing someone of a potential risk BEFORE they engage in an activity is doing them a disservice. If you'd actually read my post through you'd find nothing in there that scared anybody away from doing an update. All of my statements simply cautioned the op as to potential risk of updates as reported by others on this site. I like to be informed as to my options and potential risk before engaging in something unfamiliar to me. I believe that's more prudent than walking blindly into something and having to deal with unintended consequences that I could have avoided with just a little bit of knowledge beforehand. Again, as I originally stated, updates are a personal choice, but people need to know that upfront. Oh, and by the way, I'm one of those ops whose first update was a nightmare. I lived through it, but it took three attempts before things were right.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I too am one of those that updated firmware whenever it was offered. Then came that day that the update failed.....numerous times.......and when it did finally complete I had essentially a very expensive paperweight.....or doorstop. The uninstall/reinstall failed also.

Arghhhh !! [emoji30]

Thanks to the wise people on this forum and their vast knowledge, I downgraded the firmware to the previous version, and all is well again.

Just a ‘glitch’ you say? Maybe. But I DONT want to go through all that again. So I will stay with the firmware I’ve got. To those of you that update with no issues.......great job! I hope it always updates successfully for you.

Me?.........well, I’m happy with what I’ve got. [emoji16]

If you'd actually read my post through you'd find nothing in there that scared anybody away from doing an update.
Sorry -- I didn't mean to aim that comment at you (or anyone else personally in this thread). I just meant there are a lot of people on this forum who are terrified of installing updates and seemingly do everything in their power to strike that same fear into others.

Reactions: Meta4
Sorry -- I didn't mean to aim that comment at you (or anyone else personally in this thread). I just meant there are a lot of people on this forum who are terrified of installing updates and seemingly do everything in their power to strike that same fear into others.

I get that and I respect your position. I don't see myself as a fear-monger on any level. Like many others on this site, I strive to be a voice of reason. Personally and professionally, I need to know what my options are, and what the potential risks are, BEFORE I make a decision that carries any weight. As stated before, my only purpose in cautioning those who ask the question, "Do I need to update my firmware/software?" is to give them some information that A) they likely may not have, and B) could shape their decision going forward, and the outcome. If someone makes a decision to update understanding that it may or may not go as expected then, at the very least, they made an informed decision and accepted the risk. Not to provide that information beforehand, I believe, does them a disservice. As always, just my two cents.

ALL updates are optional.. Most flyers aren't 107 imprisoned .. If the updates are essential, reading the release notes (if FULLY revealed) will let the user know if ANY parts of the update will benefit their needs. As you know, "East coast", updates as of late are only to lock down the Phantom. If the user is willing to be further downgraded, then have at it. As far as "Continually attempting to scare away" potential updaters, do you really adhere to the idea that "Any" update is a great update? Anyone is free to update and either enjoy or return here to ask "What can I do to fix it?".. Updates are easy to do.. it's the fixing it that (In some cases) can prove to be a headache. I only share what I feel is the best to my case (I've been there and not a sheep) scenario. I don't think that just prodding people into doing what not may be best in their case is what experienced people like me do.
Well said!
Jim
WA5TEF

Most of you know my position on updates. My problem started and ended in November 2016 when I was a newbie and got an update message. I finally succeeded in getting the update only to THEN find out my current iPad or iPhone would not connect and when the first screen opened the DJI GO app was looking for the Inspire! Since my experience with DJI GO and it’s frequent crashing most every flight, I bought Litchi. Problems solved!!! No more uograde messages, no more failure to connect and no more crashes of the app! That’s been 17 months of perfect performance out of a $25.00 purchase. I only keep GO if needed got calibration or adjustments which have not been needed. So if you wish to be free if DJI’s restrictions as noted on this forum and others, give Litchi a try. And no, I don’t get payments from Litchi!
Happy trouble free flying
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: ferrete37
Since my experience with DJI GO and it’s frequent crashing most every flight, I bought Litchi. Problems solved!!! No more uograde messages, no more failure to connect and no more crashes of the app! That’s been 17 months of perfect performance out of a $25.00 purchase. I only keep GO if needed got calibration or adjustments which have not been needed. So if you wish to be free if DJI’s restrictions as noted on this forum and others, give Litchi a try.
That's all very well but ignores the fact that the majority of flyers fly with current firmware and have no problems at all.
It sounds like there was a problem with your setup and/or your tablet.
I've seen you and others complain about DJI's restrictions but still can't find any.
What restrictions are you talking about?
The supposed issues related to firmware updates are hugely overstated in the forum.
Read the anti-updating posts and it's clear that most are secondhand fearmongering.
They are not related to actually experiencing a problem and are perpetuating a myth.

Nope! You must be reading different posts than what I read. I realize that those who never had update issues don’t post their positive experience and those who have had problems not only note them here but keep coming back looking for help. That does create more postings and replies. If DJI’s updates were fully proofed before released then traffic here would decrease.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic