How to Turn the Remote Control Power Off

THH

Reaction score
I just got a Phantom 3 Advanced. I've powered it up and it required an upgrade. The remote upgrade just finished and it says Restart the Remote Control. How do I do that! When I push the power button, it stays on. I tried holding it down, but it stays on.

Also, I've downloaded the app to my phone. The clamp for the phone appears to be designed to have my phone positioned vertically. But the video screen on the controller app is horizontal. Is there a way to turn it so it's vertical? Or is there a way to secure my phone horizontally? In the horizontal position, the adjustable clamp does close enough to secure my phone (actually it looks like it doesn't close horizontally enough to clamp any but the biggest phones on the market). Any suggestions? Thank you.

When I push the power button, it stays on. I tried holding it down, but it stays on.
Press quickly, release, press again, and hold for a few seconds (just like you do with the battery).

Or is there a way to secure my phone horizontally?
Flip these tabs down:

DJI-Phantom-3-39.jpg

Thank you msinger. The remote control upgrade finished. Now it says the drone, the battery and the camera also need firmware upgrades, and to go to the tutorials at "Academy". I don't see any mention of Academy in the owner's manual and I just searched online, "DGI Academy" and nothing comes up. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Reactions: Numone
Thank you. Two questions: 1) When I click on the link you've provided me, at the top of the instructions is the "Download the latest firmware" zip file from dji's download page. i right click and save it to my desktop. then i right click, tell it to extract the files to my desktop. it creates a VLC media player on my desktop. but this isn't a media file is it, ie it's not a video clip? So when I click on it it says it can't open this file. 2) When I figure out how to open this, how do I apply the download from my computer desktop to the Phantom 3 Advanced? As I mentioned above, the screen on my phone (hooked up to the drone) took me through prompts to upgrade the controller using wifi to my phone, but then said go to Academy to upgrade the drone, battery and camera. Thank you very much msinger.

There should be a .BIN file inside of the .ZIP file. Perhaps your computer is associating it to your VLC media player. There's no need to attempt to open the .BIN file on your computer. Ignore that and drop the .BIN in the root of your memory card.

You cannot apply the download from your computer desktop. Please follow the instructions at my link above carefully.

Reactions: MasterBlaster
This has been extremely frustrating. My assistant and I have now spent hours trying to follow these instructions. We can't even get off the ground. You mention above, "you cannot apply the download from your computer desktop. Follow the instructions at my link above carefully." I couldn't open a zip on my droid, so i loaded an app. i opened the zip and there are innumerable folders in there. i'm looking for a .BIN file as you've instructed above and have no idea where to find it. Why are you skipping steps? How can you tell me to go to the .BIN file but not tell me how to get to it? Above you say drop the ".BIN in the root of your memory card". I have no idea how to "drop a .BIN..." and no idea what the root of my memory card is. Is it possible to get a person on the phone who can walk me through this? Or should I return this to B&H and tell them to sell me one that's ready to use out of the box? Please advise.

OK, lets start with - what kind of computer are you using to download the files from the DJI site and where is your computer putting them (what directory)?

Then we can figure out how to get them out of the .ZIP file and let you drag the resulting .BIN file to the Micro SD card that will go into the tiny little slot on the Phantom.

RTFM first. Read The Flight Manual 1st.
Clear out your old computer cache / cookies, reboot and start Over. ;-) ok, where are we now, what's your destination?
In the Go app under About which versions are you already with??
When you download the proper Advanced zip file for the correct updated firmware, you need to open the file to extract (copy & paste) and place that bin file, into the micro sd card which you will find on the side of your gimbal, (above the camera, look for a little window with the memory card) lightly push it in, to get it to come out. Now you need a card reader to USB device unless you have a card reader in your computer like mine has several of. Copy the bin file and paste it into the root of the sd card directory. In other words by itself without any folder or container, or the drone can't read it.
Put the sd card with the bin file back into the gimbal, turn on the drone, by itself, with a double press of the battery power on button and hold it in for three seconds till it powers up.
The drone will update, lots of noise, loud dddd dddd beeping, arm lights all flashing, gimbal light green red green red. Takes around twenty minutes. So aways start the drone update with a charged battery.
Work on that first. The battery should update itself...
Let us know.

By the way, Phantom fellow Mike, is one of the more knowledgable phantom folks on the forum, and was really only trying to help you. I certainly Understand your frustration, buying an expensive model and want to enjoy it. And empathize. But eh, We often "expect" folks that buy high tech toys, to have a little savy and previous computer, firmware update, RC basics, some experience.
And you sound as though you may be a complete new bee to this world. Please drop a line over here too. PHANTOM
Right column, you will also see some of these helpful videos...
DJI Support
These vids are also mostly found in the Go App
Ah, check out the atmosphere, there too, for your liking.

Good luck. Just Get er done ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Royr1957
Let's presume the OP got it figured out, and is happily flying his drone. Ah, & not returned the drone and gave up the white flag, of total surrender. ;-)

But with no reply, I would be willing to bet he never even read my instructions... ;-)
Yo, If you need further assistance, let us know.
Good luck. Perhaps he bought a lottery ticket.

RedHotPoker

RedHotPoker, thank you for your kindness. And Mike, msinger, I apologize for my rant. I mistakenly thought you were a DJI rep! I'm VERY sorry, and greatly appreciate your help. RedHotPoker, thank you too for offering to help. If I can take you up on it: The first thing you wanted me to do above is In the Go app, go to About. I have the app loaded to my droid and have my droid plugged into the controller. I don't see About. Any suggestions? Tx

I just wrote a message and hit Post Reply, and it looks like the message disappeared. I'll repeat it. Msinger, I am VERY sorry for venting. Very, very sorry. Thank you for helping. And Red Hot Poker, thanks for your kind words. Can I take you up on your offer to help? Following your instructions above, first roadbloack: on the app I can't find About. Suggestions? Thank you.

First, you have already read the manuals and PDF online manual, or one in the Go app?
To find About, turn on the RC, then your drone and now open the Go app. Camera View.
At the top right corner of the screen there is section with three small white dots, see them?
This is a pretty important part of the app, where several parameter controls are located.
At the bottom, Tap About & see which version of firmware in the controller and drone are present.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
When you find the versions, please post a screen shot.
Press the home button and power button simultaneously...

RedHotPoker

I can't find the versions
Ah, How are you getting there?

Can you find the word About at the bottom?

RedHotPoker

my rc is upgraded correctly, but the battery, drone and camera are not. those are the ones i can't figure out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers