How to: Tiny Planet, with P4P?

Reaction score
I have used the spherical panorama feature of my Phantom 4 Pro camera in an attempt to generate a tiny planet panorama look, so far with no luck. I am guessing that the 23 photos generated by activating that camera feature must be rendered by the user. I have tried Photoshop CC Photomerge, Auto and Spherical, with no luck. I have also tried PTGUI which I find very hard to use, and again with no luck. Do any of you have any suggestions on techniques that have worked for you?

Your MAC is just a PC that thinks it’s a MAC- try parallels or another VM to run windows and apps if you even need a program that isn’t on OSX platform, works very well for me. Also PTGUI is simple once you get the hang of it and very powerful- it’s worth persevering...

What is the scene you are trying to make your little planet from? If it has large expanses of areas with little detail you often need to add manual control points to get it to stitch (water or large expanses of grass for example)...

Reactions: flyboy73
So, my Mac is just having an identity crisis? I like that! But I very seldom need Windows programs, and this is a relatively small deal, so I probably won't go that route, even though I have considered it in the past. I have large areas of water and sky that are difficult to get control points for. That is the really frustrating part of PTGUI, for me. How do you know where to put manual control points in a vast, featureless area? I sincerely appreciate your input on this rather esoteric subject.

So, my Mac is just having an identity crisis? I like that! But I very seldom need Windows programs, and this is a relatively small deal, so I probably won't go that route, even though I have considered it in the past. I have large areas of water and sky that are difficult to get control points for. That is the really frustrating part of PTGUI, for me. How do you know where to put manual control points in a vast, featureless area? I sincerely appreciate your input on this rather esoteric subject.
The MAC I'm typing on now is just a box full of high end PC hardware with OSX hacked onto it- I do a lot of complex CAD rendering that needs the grunt however prefer FCPX and the OSX adobe products for photo and video editing.

Yes- PTGUI can be a monumental frustration but the results are worth it IMHO. I sometimes spend an hour zooming in looking for features in frames to get the alignment to work for the stitching. I just had a quick look through my bookmarks for a good tutorial I found for the little planets specifically. If I can find it I will flick you a PM.

Download Affinity Photo, best $50 you will ever spend. There are tons of tutorials out there in the "tube", I've seen 2 specifically dealing with tiny planet:
Affinity Photo - Professional image editing software for desktop and iPad
Here's one I did, nothing special, but easy to achieve:
Hops and Hogs Tiny Planet.jpg

I second the recommendation for PTGui. They just updated their interface so it’s easier to use. They now have a menu selection for Spherical panos and Little Planets making it much easier to choose the right projection. For panos over water it is very hard to get matching control points without any distinguishing features so I usually manually align those images.

Chris

I have used the spherical panorama feature of my Phantom 4 Pro camera in an attempt to generate a tiny planet panorama look, so far with no luck. I am guessing that the 23 photos generated by activating that camera feature must be rendered by the user. I have tried Photoshop CC Photomerge, Auto and Spherical, with no luck. I have also tried PTGUI which I find very hard to use, and again with no luck. Do any of you have any suggestions on techniques that have worked for you?
Here is what you need to start with:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/osmo/DJI_Media_Maker_1.0.2_Installer_en.dmg
I use the windows version, works great. They you use another photo editor to manipulate it from there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1