How to take the Initial aeronautical knowledge test?

Reaction score
Can anyone shed light on where we would take the initial aeronautical knowledge test that is referenced in the newly released Part 107 Summary that was released today? I do want to fly my drone for "some" commercial purposes and I have been waiting since first of Jan for 333 exemption.

So if anyone can shed some light on how/where to take this test it would be greatly appreciated. I can't find any info on it.

Reactions: TheFPVdrone
I am trying to verify if this is the standard written exam that pilots take for ground school or if this is another test specifically for commercial drone users that will operate under Part 107 guidelines.

This will be UAS specific but will have some degree of overlap with PPL and similar. Remember it's a lot about Aeronautical Knowledge which is the same regardless of the aircraft (well more or less).

Reactions: gmann21133
Thanks BigA. I called the FAA office in Memphis and they are supposed to have someone call me back. Trying to find out:
1. When will the test be available?
2. Where to get the study guide for it?
3. Where is the exam to be taken?

Reactions: Dan Peters
typical government - make a half a#$%# announcement with no details about test prep docs, study guide or an example test, cost, etc -

typical government - make a half a#$%# announcement with no details about test prep docs, study guide or an example test, cost, etc -

You do realize almost EVERY single UAS operator in the US has been hounding the FAA to come up with some official, codified rules and to do them as quickly as possible. The mere fact they released these only 1 day after their initial goal date says WONDERS for what they are trying to do. At least now we know the "direction" things are going and most of us realized there would be some growing pains and infrastructure that would have to be designed, approved, and then implemented before the whole process was complete.

I for one feel like the fact they announced this so soon is a HUGE plus for our industry.

A guy from the FAA called me today and he is also waiting on the testing center in our area to call him back with the details I am looking for. He should call me back with all the details once he finds out. I will keep ya'll posted on what I find out if it has not yet been posted.

Reactions: ObiDon
Called the local FAA office here in Tampa. They are still "digesting" all of this. The lady also told me the rule does not go into effect for 90 days, and that the test center list was very out of date.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I believe it is 60 days. I read that and the FAA guy I talked to confirmed 60. But the bottom line is I don't think we will be able to head out next week and take a test :) I would be highly surprised if testing is ready before the next 30 days. But time will tell. As someone else mentioned, they rolled the rules considering the normal time line of the govt.

Reactions: Dan Peters
You do realize almost EVERY single UAS operator in the US has been hounding the FAA to come up with some official, codified rules and to do them as quickly as possible. The mere fact they released these only 1 day after their initial goal date says WONDERS for what they are trying to do. At least now we know the "direction" things are going and most of us realized there would be some growing pains and infrastructure that would have to be designed, approved, and then implemented before the whole process was complete.

I for one feel like the fact they announced this so soon is a HUGE plus for our industry.
I agree, a huge step in the right direction - but if you were assigned a task such as this should not all the details be made ready and everything released - they should have example test questions, a study guide the works ready to be released - the requirements were floated last fall, exactly what they have released today - it is just frustrating i have been working on a 333 exemptions since last August - the good news that appears to have gone by the wayside - and the ridiculous requirement of having to have a pilots license is more or less gone

I too find it very annoying to release the requirements without releasing the ability to meet the requirements.
I'd do the online class today and be done with it! But who knows when it will even be available.

Same here. I was ready to come home and start planning. Granted this is great news and William grateful that the situation will be better in August. Just wishful thinking to get it done sooner than later. Now to study the pilots handbook. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Can anyone shed light on where we would take the initial aeronautical knowledge test that is referenced in the newly released Part 107 Summary that was released today? I do want to fly my drone for "some" commercial purposes and I have been waiting since first of Jan for 333 exemption.

So if anyone can shed some light on how/where to take this test it would be greatly appreciated. I can't find any info on it.

First-Time Pilots

To become a pilot you must:
  • Be at least 16 years old
  • Be able to read, speak, write, and understand English (exceptions may be made if the person is unable to meet one of these requirements for a medical reason, such as hearing impairment)
  • Be in a physical and mental condition to safely operate a small UAS
  • Pass the initial aeronautical knowledge exam at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center
Pilot certificate Requirements
  • Must be easily accessible by the remote pilot during all UAS operations
  • Valid for 2 years – certificate holders must pass a recurrent knowledge test every two years
Application Process
  1. Schedule an appointment with a Knowledge Testing Center (KTC), which administer initial and recurrent FAA knowledge exams
    1. View the list of Knowledge Testing Centers (PDF) to find one near you.
    2. Applicants must bring government-issued photo ID to their test
  2. Pass the initial aeronautical knowledge test – initial knowledge test areas include:
    1. Applicable regulations relating to small unmanned aircraft system rating privileges, limitations, and flight operation
    2. Airspace classification and operating requirements, and flight restrictions affecting small unmanned aircraft operation
    3. Aviation weather sources and effects of weather on small unmanned aircraft performance
    4. Small unmanned aircraft loading and performance
    5. Emergency procedures
    6. Crew resource management
    7. Radio communication procedures
    8. Determining the performance of small unmanned aircraft
    9. Physiological effects of drugs and alcohol
    10. Aeronautical decision-making and judgment
    11. Airport operations
    12. Maintenance and preflight inspection procedures
  3. Complete FAA Form 8710-13 for a remote pilot certificate (FAA Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application) using the electronic FAA Integrated Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application system (IACRA)*
    1. Register using the FAA IACRA system
    2. Login with username and password
    3. Click on "Start New Application" and 1) Application Type "Pilot", 2) Certifications "Remote Pilot", 3) Other Path Information, 4) Start Application
    4. Follow application prompts
    5. When prompted, enter the 17-digit Knowledge Test Exam ID (NOTE: it may take up to 48 hours from the test date for the knowledge test to appear in IACRA)
    6. Sign the application electronically and submit to the Registry for processing.
  4. A confirmation email will be sent when an applicant has completed the TSA security background check. This email will provide instructions for printing a copy of the temporary remote pilot certificate from IACRA.
  5. A permanent remote pilot certificate will be sent via mail once all other FAA-internal processing is complete.
    * Applicants who do not wish to complete FAA Form 8710-13 online may choose the paper process. Please note that the processing time will be longer if a paper application is used since it requires in-person approval and signature by a designated pilot examiner (DPE), an airman certification representative (ACR), or an FAA-certificated flight instructor (CFI), and must then be mailed to a Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) for final review and signature. Additionally, a temporary remote pilot certificate will not be provided to the applicant.

Instructions for completing the paper application process may be found in Chapter 6, Section 4 of the Part 107 Advisory Circular.

I agree, it's frustrating that everything isn't in place yet, but a least there is a definitive plan to move forward. I have some real estate friends that want my services. Hope I can get this done before August. Fingers crossed.

The rules for Part 107 go in effect in Aug. So I wonder if we are able to take a test, say next week, and meet all the requirements, would we have to wait until Aug until we can fly commercially?

So in the meantime do I need a license to fly a drone commercially (real estate photography)?

I would say that until you have either a 333 exemption or Part 107 License, then you (we) can NOT operate commercially. Once I am able to test and get my 107 certification, then I will run with it. I don't know if we technically have to wait until Aug 2016 until the Part 107 takes effect or not? Heck, we may not even be able to test before August. I am sho ready to get this behind me!! (as are many others).

Reactions: Mary P
I would say that until you have either a 333 exemption or Part 107 License, then you (we) can NOT operate commercially. Once I am able to test and get my 107 certification, then I will run with it. I don't know if we technically have to wait until Aug 2016 until the Part 107 takes effect or not? Heck, we may not even be able to test before August. I am sho ready to get this behind me!! (as are many others).
FYI:
I talked to the FAA yesterday the only people who need to take the knowledge test are ones who want to fly commercial. The test sites will be announced later with the
locations and cost for the test for hobby people this does not effect you, you are good to go as is......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31