I'm trying to become a certified drone pilot

Reaction score
I read this

Becoming a Pilot

and I read this

Drone Certification Guide: Inside the FAA's Part 107 Regulations

It seems I have to take 2 different test or classes?

1. Being I have to "Pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test at one of 690 FAA-approved knowledge testing centers across the United States"

2. I have to "Obtain a Remote Pilot Certificate with a small UAS rating"

Can anybody tell me if this is correct and how much to take the test.

Where do I begin to study

One website offers training for $200
FAA Drone Certification Test Prep | Drone Pilot Ground School

I don't understand why there isn't more information on all this. Where to start studying for the Aeronautical knowledge test. Where I can study for obtaining a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS

Any help or directions will be appreciated.

Last edited:
I read this

Becoming a Pilot

and I read this

1. Being I have to "Pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test at one of 690 FAA-approved knowledge testing centers across the United States"

Where do I being to study

I don't understand why there isn't more information on all this. Where to start studying for the Aeronautical knowledge test. Where I can study for obtaining a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS

This video of an FAA presentation might help:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I read this

Becoming a Pilot

and I read this

I have another thread on this very topic right now and I am going through the process as I took my first online class today and passed the test with flying colors. Check out my thread to see what we are talking about.

You don't have to take any classes and only one test that you schedule through the CATS site if you are not a licensed pilot already. The test costs $150. All of those sites offering practice tests are just that, 'practice'! Knowing the UAS rules and regulations, how to read and interpret sectional charts and weather reports is the knowledge you need to pass the actual test. Check some to the comments that have been been posted on this forum over the last couple of months and you will find directions to a wealth of study material that will help you prepare for the real test

First post. New to drone world. Been reading a long time. Great info here.

I am a pilot. If I work to get this 107 certification, will it be added to my current license (like when we add a new endorsement), or is this a separate card?

I am a pilot. If I work to get this 107 certification, will it be added to my current license (like when we add a new endorsement), or is this a separate card?
Is a second card, I have both. Also if you have a current medical, you do not have to go the CATS testing route. There is an online tutorial and test that you can take then take the paperwork to an examiner to sign then submit. No testing fee this way although the examiner may change something. Even if you go the test route, having the license and background check already can speed up the process.

Is a second card, I have both. Also if you have a current medical, you do not have to go the CATS testing route. There is an online tutorial and test that you can take then take the paperwork to an examiner to sign then submit. No testing fee this way although the examiner may change something. Even if you go the test route, having the license and background check already can speed up the process.

Thank you! I assume the 'have a current medical' you also mean the part of the requirements that say current flight review in last 24 months?

Thank you! I assume the 'have a current medical' you also mean the part of the requirements that say current flight review in last 24 months?

I don't think you need a current medical but if you fly actively (manned aircraft) you do need one. Yes, you need to have done a BFR in the last 2 years. See the link below:

Becoming a Pilot

To the OP, after you pass the airman's knowledge test, then you just have to apply for the remote pilot certificate. One test, file the results on the IACRA website and you got it. Find a local ground school, $200 bucks is reasonable, try going through a local hobby store. Don't take the test for granted. If you are not already familiar with airspace and the sectional charts, I would highly recommend getting in a ground school course.

I don't think you need a current medical but if you fly actively (manned aircraft) you do need one. Yes, you need to have done a BFR in the last 2 years. See the link below:

Becoming a Pilot
Sorry, too many thing rumbling around in my brain. Yes, I meant a current BFR.

Interesting timing! Here is the question of the week from AOPA. :) Forgot to think about on-going currency. The formal test looks like the permanent solution.

Question
If you hold a Part 107 remote pilot certificate that you obtained by combining the FAA's online training course with your current flight review, are you required to complete a flight review when your current flight review expires to maintain Part 107 currency? Can you take the Part 107 aeronautical knowledge test instead?

Answer
Either option is acceptable. This information is included in the initial training course on the FAA Safety Team website (ALC-451), but can also be found in 14 CFR 107.65. The regulation gives you two options to maintain your recency, which must have been completed within the previous 24 calendar months to exercise your certificate privileges. The first option is primarily for unmanned-only pilots, but can be used by manned pilots without a current flight review. It requires applicants to pass an initial or recurrent aeronautical knowledge test covering the required topics in 14 CFR 107.73(a) and (b). The second option is exclusively for certificated pilots under 14 CFR Part 61, other than student pilots, and requires a current flight review and completion of an initial or recurrent training course as explained in 14 CFR 107.74(a) and (b). It is important to remember for the purposes of this regulation that you can take the training course on the FAA website, while you must pay for the aeronautical knowledge test and take it at a testing center. If you choose to take the aeronautical knowledge test, remember that your AOPA membership gets you a discount at CATS testing centers.

If you are an active current pilot, renewing the 107 would just consist of you hitting up the FAAST site test, which is free, then using that thru IACRA to renew the certification (your CFI or DPE may charge you to do that, up to them).

Redoing the whole KB test thru CATS would be more expensive, if you already had done a BFR in your aircraft.

Now, if you don't hold another FAA licence other than you 107 cert, then you don't really have a choice here.

I just completed the FAAST training, am Commercial certified, so I placed my IACRA app, and another fellow CFI in my area will be logging on to recommend me (He already knows my identity/address/BFR date, etc.)

So for me it costs $0.

Agreed. But if you are not current, it looks like you could do the full test, and not have to ever worry about it again. I guess I am trying to read if there are any currency requirements if done the full test way? Looks like not. Do you have to renew the 107 in this case?

Agreed. But if you are not current, it looks like you could do the full test, and not have to ever worry about it again. I guess I am trying to read if there are any currency requirements if done the full test way? Looks like not. Do you have to renew the 107 in this case?

Part 107 is for 24 months, you then retest to retain it. Knowledge test if you are not a pilot in other A/C, and if you are and have done another FR under part 61, you could bypass the full knowledge test and resubmit using the FAAST course certificate for renewal.

The difference here is if you take the full knowledge test you can submit it and get the licence or recert.

If you do the "Training course" you submit thru IACRA just like the full knowledge test, but the added step of having a CFI or other official "recommend" your application before it goes off to OK.

In no way will it be a one time shot :)

Last edited:

With the PhantomPilots promo code (look below), Gold Seal is $199 for 4 years. I don't think the site you linked allows a free preview of lessons, but I know that Gold Seal does. Not a bad idea to see what you're purchasing before pulling out your credit card.

Here's a free sample quiz and you don't even have to sign up. Give it a try, see how you do:
FAA Part 107 Ground School

I highly recommend remotepilot101.com as well. $99 now and that covers you for as long as you want it to cover you. Laws and procedures may change but remotepilot101 is right there with you. Good Luck!

...and only one test that you schedule through the CATS site if you are not a licensed pilot already.
CATS is not the only place to take your exam. PSI / LaserGrade Computer Testing centers are another source to check.

So, for all you future remote pilots out there, here are the two FAA recommended authorized testing centers:
  • PSI / LaserGrade Computer Testing 1-800-211-2753
  • Computer Assisted Testing Service (CATS) 1-800-947-4228
Good luck!

I uploaded my last check ride form (similar to BFR) to IACRA, scheduled an appointment with the local FSDO. Showed up with my Medical and walked out 30 minutes later with a temporary. Not added to current certificate, comes as a separate certificate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers