HOW TO: Removing/Replacing your WiFi Module

Mine had 25 flights and burned out....looked around but it seems that this product is not really supported anymore... the dji website doesn't have it,I had to go on e bay and found an updated one with the holes in it. Cost me a fortune...... here is a helpful youtube video

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So far so good. Seems the WiFi module was the issue. I'll post again if I ever lose the video feed.
I have a vision 2 plus with this problem but i do not see the wifi board I have 2 of them and neither one has the board help

I have a vision 2 plus with this problem but i do not see the wifi board I have 2 of them and neither one has the board help
Yes, if you have a Phantom2 Vision Plus, there is a WI-FI module inside the UAV. Watch the video on this thread. I replaced my WI-FI Module and the problem is fixed.

Has anybody tried repairing these units? I have experience repairing cellphones and replacing BGA chips is a piece of cake. Do the chips involved require programming first? If none are microcontrollers etc I'd imagine just replacing the faulty chips should resolve the problems.

I'm going to spend some time looking into this and if possible offer a repair service if there is the demand.

Has anybody tried repairing these units? I have experience repairing cellphones and replacing BGA chips is a piece of cake. Do the chips involved require programming first? If none are microcontrollers etc I'd imagine just replacing the faulty chips should resolve the problems.

I'm going to spend some time looking into this and if possible offer a repair service if there is the demand.
Hi mine was repaired with a nand flash. Seems the firmware goes corrupt on the video transmission board and becomes unresponsive. Alot of people just assume its overheated when its not the case. I think you need to solder a usb serial adapter to the board in order to flash it but am not sure of exact procedure as i sent mine to another forum user for repair. If you search dji lightbridge flash you will find more info as they have the same problem and the hardware is almost the same. If you offer a repair service i am sure people will use it as lots have this issue and dont want to solder/reflash themselves. Also the parts are no longer available and only come up on ebay once in a while, so repair is becoming the only option for us.

I have a customer that is needing to replace a WiFi module in his P2V+ so I thought I would do a step by step with photos for future reference.

Tools needed:
2mm allen wrench
#0 Phillips screw driver
Hair dryer
Work mat
Replacement WiFi Module Link for purchase

UPDATE As more Phantom 2 Vision+'s are reaching customers something that has happened is that the video feed will be lost. If you still have telemetry info like altitude, distance, speed, battery voltage, etc. and if you are still able to take video and pictures but are missing the video feed there is a high chance that you need to replace your WiFi module. Fortunately this is very easy.

Start by removing the top shell of your Phantom by removing the three allen screws on each arm and the one small phillips head screw. It is best to have a work mat so that screws do not go bouncing away. Note that you can have a screw sucked into the motor from the magnets so use caution!
QTbscTm.jpg

Unplug the GPS receiver wire from the main circuit board
LGtbm7L.jpg

Here is the WiFi module
rRsOHdC.jpg

Disconnect the two plugs on the side by pinching down on the clip and then a slight pull. Remove the single phillips head screw on the side of the module. Take note of the capacitor directly behind the module, this is important to watch for later
aDWXubL.jpg

Plugs and screw removed
f7lCnYl.jpg

Carefully lift the WiFi module from the back to front. It is simply 2 sided taped onto the board. This is where heating it slightly with a hair dryer will help reduce the adhesion from the tape. Be careful to NOT damage the capacitor previously noted Remove the last ribbon cable from the rear of the module
f7lCnYl.jpg

Removed and shot of the tape
aFDFAF4.jpg

There are two antennas that are press-fit coaxial type. These will need a firm tug to release:
2tVGesl.jpg

One of the antennas (just for reference)
R6MwSh4.jpg

All removed!
jA0Y84m.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this. If you have any more requests for other "How-To's" let me know and I will see what I can do.
Thanks for taking the time to make this. The only thing I would add is it's very important to remove the screws on the end of the arm first, then the allen screws. These Phillip screws can strip easily if the pressure is released from the allen screws first.

Hello All!
I've been flying blind for about the last year with my P2-V+. I performed the module swap-out today as described by the original poster of this thread, and boom!, just like new. Thanks! That module was pretty pricey at 200 bucks, but a heck of a lot cheaper than a new bird. I'll get one sooner or later, but happy to be seeing what I'm shooting again with this bird for now.
Thanks again!

Not likely. . .
There are quite a few differences between the P2V and +. The main ones being:
1.) P2V Wi-Fi circuitry is in the camera itself where the + is inside the Phantom
2.) Same with the antennas

Before mine flew back to China (P2V) I was having similar issues. I performed the camera / repeater Wi-Fi antenna mod, and the problems went away. After the antenna mod, I was able to get 2500+ feet of reliable telemetry and FPV Video. . .

Have you done any such modifications to your P2V?

What mod is that and where can I find info on it? I have a P2V not + with the video issue as well.

Hi mine was repaired with a nand flash. Seems the firmware goes corrupt on the video transmission board and becomes unresponsive. Alot of people just assume its overheated when its not the case. I think you need to solder a usb serial adapter to the board in order to flash it but am not sure of exact procedure as i sent mine to another forum user for repair. If you search dji lightbridge flash you will find more info as they have the same problem and the hardware is almost the same. If you offer a repair service i am sure people will use it as lots have this issue and dont want to solder/reflash themselves. Also the parts are no longer available and only come up on ebay once in a while, so repair is becoming the only option for us.
Hi. Paul is right. 90% of the modules I've repaired needed the NAND reflashed. To do this you have to disassemble the module and connect the bottom board to your PC via a USB TTL UART board. Check out my tutorial I made to help people solve this themselves:
DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus Blank Screen Corrupt NAND fix

Hope this fixes FPV for some techie folks out there!

Reactions: crash1sttime
Hi. Paul is right. 90% of the modules I've repaired needed the NAND reflashed. To do this you have to disassemble the module and connect the bottom board to your PC via a USB TTL UART board. Check out my tutorial I made to help people solve this themselves:
DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus Blank Screen Corrupt NAND fix

Hope this fixes FPV for some techie folks out there!
HI okstuv,

I've read your tutorial and succesfully flashed the nand, though that didn't fix my problem, I also noticed that this should work when you do have telemetry but no video, mine doesn't have telemetry and no video. It seems that there is a problem with the green board in the wifi module. The camera works (I can take photos with it using the button on the camera) and the gimbal also works. It is just that the extender can't connect with the drone. I read that the drone should produce a wifi network even without the extender but this network never shows on my phone. I also went through gaucho's thread and it seems you guys know a lot about the workings of the drone. I wonder if it might be possible that a similar nand failure could occur on the green wifi module board and if that also could be reflashed.

thanks in advance,

Chris

HI okstuv,

I've read your tutorial and succesfully flashed the nand, though that didn't fix my problem, I also noticed that this should work when you do have telemetry but no video, mine doesn't have telemetry and no video. It seems that there is a problem with the green board in the wifi module. The camera works (I can take photos with it using the button on the camera) and the gimbal also works. It is just that the extender can't connect with the drone. I read that the drone should produce a wifi network even without the extender but this network never shows on my phone. I also went through gaucho's thread and it seems you guys know a lot about the workings of the drone. I wonder if it might be possible that a similar nand failure could occur on the green wifi module board and if that also could be reflashed.

thanks in advance,

Chris
Chris, I think binding is your issue since you aren't seeing telemetry. If you still see "Phantom Connection Broken" error, then you should take care of binding first. Check out my small Binding Tutorial here:

Newer Android and iOS versions simply can't finish the binding process successfully. You need an old Android phone, Android 6.0 or earlier...

Good luck!
Turner

Reactions: Mark The Droner
My DJI vision app is gone. Where does one download the app onto a Samsung S9+ to use with a P2V+ ??

My DJI vision app is gone. Where does one download the app onto a Samsung S9+ to use with a P2V+ ??
DJI has stopped supporting the Phantom 2 and its apps/firmware. As such they haven't maintained the compatible phone whitelists in the app stores, so even if the app would work on your phone, it's possible it doesn't show up in the Play App store. You can download the APK here and sideload it: dji-vision for Android - APK Download

Reactions: Mark The Droner

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.