HOW TO: Optimize Apple device for the best DJI GO app performance

Having just the video is not going to be enough to get a replacement from DJI. They are going to want the flight data. If you're worried about a fly away, then you'll definitely want to pick up a tracker -- like the Trackimo GPS tracker.
I can personally attest to the contrary, as DJI replaced my P3P free of charge with the video showing it went down in the lake after a motor failure the first flight after receiving it back from DJI repairs. Only thing I had was the video on my phone, which saved my ****.

If anyone here is interested in a brand new Marco Polo Tracker, I have an extra brand New one that I would sell for a discount. My son bought me one not realizing I already had one. Make me an offer.

I can personally attest to the contrary, as DJI replaced my P3P free of charge with the video showing it went down in the lake after a motor failure the first flight after receiving it back from DJI repairs. Only thing I had was the video on my phone, which saved my ****.
I'm guessing they replaced it since the issue occurred right after they repaired it. This is definitely not the norm.

Reactions: Jeff watson
Caching video on the iPad has aways been a problem. Keeping it off avoids a myriad of performance problems, and optimizes the FPV feed stability.

I'm going to turn it off. I have been experiencing some problems recently with my mini 2

Reactions: Omokjoe
I'm going to turn it off. I have been experiencing some problems recently with my mini 2
No need for it, it's only 720p, and in order for it to work, you have to be recording on the microSD card in the aircraft anyway. Only time it is ever of any real use is if the bird is never recovered. I'll take that small chance, and optimize my tablet performance! :cool:

What is the basis for the 1 GB storage recommendation? Is it really necessary to have that much?

No need for it, it's only 720p, and in order for it to work, you have to be recording on the microSD card in the aircraft anyway. Only time it is ever of any real use is if the bird is never recovered. I'll take that small chance, and optimize my tablet performance! :cool:

I'm canning my mini 2. With the temperature in the 80's I fly about 9 minutes and then ... CPU overload ... followed thereafter by video feed issues. Swap to the shield no video feed issues.

I use both an iPhone 7 and the iPad mini 2. Both are updated to current OS and the P3P AC and RC have the latest updates. Results are identical. Random video dropouts ( from zero feet laterally to over 1.6 miles). I have tested with and without the "copper Windsurfer " unit with no cure. BTW I have tested with Litchi and experience identical issues.
I have used every preflight combination of starting the Apps, changing the power up order of the RC/AC and devices, Airplane mode, rebooting the device, and manually clearing all background apps.

I suspect intermittent HW failures but haven't torn down the RC to check RX TX connectors but highly doubt that's the problem.

Reactions: Numone
I do - probably like the 000's of other users who also, like me, do not have an issue....

Well there are number of factors at work. I fly in the southwest. It is 95 degrees at the moment. I can guarantee that a flight with my mini 2 will result in a video downlink slideshow about 5 minutes after I launch. I have done some testing and I'm certain it's the combination of the resource intensive update on DJI Go 4 and the processing power of the mini 2. In normal operating conditions I have almost no video downlink issues. The flight is without lag and pretty great. Normal operating conditions for me: Mini 2 out of the case and temperature in the 70s to low 80s.

I tried a number of scenarios
Mini in normal conditions (specified above)
Mini 2 in the case
Mini 2 out of the case - ambient temp > 95
Mini 2 in the case - ambient temp > 95
Mini 2 in air conditioned car - ambient temp outside 95

FYI - I have an Nvidia shield .. no slideshow with the shield in the same environment.

Without equivocation the warmer the environment resulted in the CPU error on the Mini 2 followed by the video turning into 1907 Charlie Chaplin picture show.

So for me, I have decided to dump the Mini 2 and go for something that can handle the environment where I operate my Mavic. I have a Mini 2 Cellular for sale... if you live in a cool environment it will work perfectly for you.

Again I'm not downing the iOS systems.. I have a strong preference for the DJI Go4 application on iOS. I just think it's better in just about every appreciable way. I just don't want someone that is looking to purchase a display device to overlook the possibility that they could spend money on a device and experience the issues I am currently experiencing. I don't see the app being downgraded so it is time to move on from the mini 2. For flying Go 4 it has reached its EOL.

My mini 4 has struggled a little after the update. I now have to fly on channel 20 to avoid green screen. Before, I could always fly on auto. So, time to try optimizing....

These posts are not encouraging. I just picked up the Ipad 2017 to use with my standard and the performance has gone from great to awful in 6 flights. Clear and smooth fpv to blurry glitchy fpv.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl