HOW TO: Make Phantom 3 Standard gimbal lock easy to slide on/off

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
The Phantom 3 Standard gimbal lock works very well once you get it into place, but it's quite the hassle to slide on and off of the camera. This problem can be easily fixed by removing the four raised areas that slide against the top and bottom of the camera (see the image below). To remove them, cut the plastic away with a utility knife and use a fine grit sandpaper (e.g. 400 grit) to smooth the surface to prevent any uneven areas from scratching the surface of the camera.

P3S-Gimbal-Lock-Sand-Mod.jpg

I see these raised areas were removed in subsequent lock designs. At least on my P3P.

IMG_0013.JPG

Last edited:
Yep. I have all Phantom 3 models and this is only an issue with the Phantom 3 Standard gimbal lock.

Reactions: stones
The Phantom 3 Standard gimbal lock works very well once you get it into place, but it's quite the hassle to slide on and off of the camera. This problem can be easily fixed by removing the four raised areas that slide against the top and bottom of the camera (see the image below). To remove them, cut the plastic away with a utility knife and use a fine grit sandpaper (e.g. 400 grit) to smooth the surface to prevent any uneven areas from scratching the surface of the camera.

View attachment 75447
Will that make the cover too loose?

No. That's my modified gimbal lock in the photos above.

That is a great tip. 60 seconds with a Dremel and the lock is now much easier to put on. I had bought a cheap one that was easier to put on, but it wouldn't have worked with ND filters on.

I bought one on eBay that is similar to that, DJI Phantom 3 Translucent RED Gimbal Lock & Lens Cap 3d printed
The nice thing was that it comes with a separate lens cap, which I can still use with the stock gimbal lock

I tried some of the 3D printed locks too, but they never fit as well as DJI's gimbal lock.

It fits pretty well, but I had a ND filter on and wanted to use the gimbal lock while hiking around, I would have to pick on or the other. With the freshly trimmed stock lock, that's no longer a problem.

I have the $1.50 Neewer one and it slips on easy, but sometimes has fallen off inside my flight case when I arrive on location, which I’m not crazy about.

View attachment 75447
Thanks for the tip. I always cringe when putting that thing on and taking it off in terms of where to put pressure and what am i pushing on ect..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic