How to hand launch & catch drone (safe!!)

Reaction score
Dear Pilots,

I believe this practice has been widely known and practiced for safer launching/catching (especially when your children or pets are around).
You can also use this skill to fly your drone safely on the boat or narrow spaces. I love hand launching/catching my drone because it feels great as well.
For those who did not know about this, please check out below tutorial! thank you and happy droning :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

due to the dust that gets stirred up when taking off or landing in my area,I have started doing this, it gets peoples attention!....lol

Many videos on this. Only thing not mentioned in this one was that the operator should stay upwind of the drone. This way, if a gust of wind comes when standing next to the drone, it would be pushed away from the operator, not directly at him/her.

Personally, I also push up slightly while holding the stick down. This ensures that the drone does not "fight" the person should they lower their arm at the same time.

I've been hand-catching drones ever since I bought the Phantom 2 Vision+ in 2014. It really becomes easy after a little bit of practice, and it avoids a lot of dirt and loose grass from being thrown up into the camera lens and gimbal and motors, as well as mud getting caked on the landing gear. I consider it an essential skill when owning a drone!

If I had just a teeny tiny request for the "Phantom 5" it would be to put a motor "kill switch" button on one of the landing gear arms so that when you hand-catch and press the button it would automatically shut down the motors. This would make it a little easier than catching with one hand and using the other hand to hold down the left stick for 3 seconds to shut off the motors.

I've been hand-catching drones ever since I bought the Phantom 2 Vision+ in 2014. It really becomes easy after a little bit of practice, and it avoids a lot of dirt and loose grass from being thrown up into the camera lens and gimbal and motors, as well as mud getting caked on the landing gear. I consider it an essential skill when owning a drone!

If I had just a teeny tiny request for the "Phantom 5" it would be to put a motor "kill switch" button on one of the landing gear arms so that when you hand-catch and press the button it would automatically shut down the motors. This would make it a little easier than catching with one hand and using the other hand to hold down the left stick for 3 seconds to shut off the motors.
I like that kill switch suggestion!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.