Phantom Rain - Why you should hand catch every single time you land your drone .

PhantomWetSuits

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
We started Catching the drone with one hand , because we were constantly flying in severe weather and it was essential for a safe landing. Let alone being on a boat.

Here is what we learned:

It takes practice to get good at hand catching . So doing it every now and than in an emergency is a bad idea, better to do it all the time every time.

One of the added benefits is , there is much less wear and tear on the drone in several ways.
All it takes is just one bad landing for the Leg Clips to become loose or cracked open or for a lens to get scratched or tip over.

Also the skid pads take a beating and when you go to sell it, all that wear and tear is going to show on the skid pads, the color green is not good nor is brown and black. Goo gone only goes so far.

We also found that bringing the drone down to a hover above your head gives you plenty of time to Inspect the drone much more easily than when you land it and than pick it up , your just not as apt to hold it over your head and inspect it well so this really is great training.

So the inspection would be : , check for debris, check the lights , that its keeping a stable hover.

We have also found that it show Confidence to others in your ability to handle the drone.

We have a tendency to gather a small crowd when flying , and what normally happens is if I let it land on its own, the crowd will stand way back as if its a JET or something and so that fear spreads but when you hover it for just a few seconds and everyone watches it , and you reach up and grab it, everyone feels safer and not so fearful.

You can create the Fear , and you can take it away.

Bringing the drone to hover is actually easier than letting it land ever so softly , hoping that it lands on very flat ground and that the camera does not flip on the grass and that its not a hard landing , you skip all that nonsense by learning how to Hand Catch.

If you have ever seen a drone tip on a bad landing the Props crack and fly everywhere not safe for bystanders.

So when an emergency does happen you can run out with confidence and capture your drone , no one will know you were in panic mode.

Seriously taking the Fear out of the Drone is really powerful especially for your clients.
Were not saying that there are not some beautiful landing , but the more of those you have the less prepared you will be for the emergency one hand catch..when it has so much to offer.

This is one of the Reasons why we built the Phantom Wet Suits with all 4 Legs covered with Neoprene was to provide a really nice handle for one hand catches that feel secure ..
Keep in mind that you really only have two chances to show the client that you are Professional , Take off an Landing, that is what they will be watching very carefully as do crowds.

Landing a drone and watching it tip over is a nightmare for you, the client and bystanders.
We recommend you master the skills needed to protect yourself , the drone and the bystanders and take the fear away.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Coal

Last edited:
I usually hand catch both of my drones (Phantom 3 Standard and Spark) and it is my preferred method, however I feel that hand catching in cold weather is more risky than bringing in the AC to land on a landing pad since hands will become cold quickly in cold weather and using gloves does not give as much of a secure grip.

Today, I flew 5 flights (3 with my Spark and 2 with my P3S). It was cold (-4ºC), there was some wind gusts and the ground was covered with about 10cm of snow. Even though I had thin touch friendly gloves on, I removed my gloves to land my Spark in my hand after the first flight. I landed the Spark on my landing pad on my 2 subsequent flights because my hands were getting cold. When this happens, I think it is more dangerous to hand catch because when your hands get cold you are less able to safely catch the drone. With my P3S, I removed my gloves on both hands and hand caught the drone. After the second flight my hands were too cold and I called it a day. I even removed my glove off my left hand that I was using to give less throttle to bring the drone down for the hand catch because I needed to be able to have complete control in case a wind gust moved the AC. With gloves, I don't feel I have the fine control needed for both catching and operating the controller. During takeoff and throughout the flight I kept my gloves on.

It doesn't take long for hands to get uncomfortably cold in cold weather, especially with a wind chill in effect. Although the temp was only -4ºC today, with the wind chill the temp was around -9ºC. So for me, I will be landing my drones on a landing pad most of the time in cold weather. That way, I will be able to fly longer.

Chris

We started Catching the drone with one hand , because we were constantly flying in severe weather and it was essential for a safe landing. Let alone being on a boat.

Here is what we learned:

It takes practice to get good at hand catching . So doing it every now and than in an emergency is a bad idea, better to do it all the time every time.

One of the added benefits is , there is much less wear and tear on the drone in several ways.
All it takes is just one bad landing for the Leg Clips to become loose or cracked open or for a lens to get scratched or tip over.

Also the skid pads take a beating and when you go to sell it, all that wear and tear is going to show on the skid pads, the color green is not good nor is brown and black. Goo gone only goes so far.

We also found that bringing the drone down to a hover above your head gives you plenty of time to Inspect the drone much more easily than when you land it and than pick it up , your just not as apt to hold it over your head and inspect it well so this really is great training.

So the inspection would be : , check for debris, check the lights , that its keeping a stable hover.

We have also found that it show Confidence to others in your ability to handle the drone.

We have a tendency to gather a small crowd when flying , and what normally happens is if I let it land on its own, the crowd will stand way back as if its a JET or something and so that fear spreads but when you hover it for just a few seconds and everyone watches it , and you reach up and grab it, everyone feels safer and not so fearful.

You can create the Fear , and you can take it away.

Bringing the drone to hover is actually easier than letting it land ever so softly , hoping that it lands on very flat ground and that the camera does not flip on the grass and that its not a hard landing , you skip all that nonsense by learning how to Hand Catch.

If you have ever seen a drone tip on a bad landing the Props crack and fly everywhere not safe for bystanders.

So when an emergency does happen you can run out with confidence and capture your drone , no one will know you were in panic mode.

Seriously taking the Fear out of the Drone is really powerful especially for your clients.
Were not saying that there are not some beautiful landing , but the more of those you have the less prepared you will be for the emergency one hand catch..when it has so much to offer.

This is one of the Reasons why we built the Phantom Wet Suits with all 4 Legs covered with Neoprene was to provide a really nice handle for one hand catches that feel secure ..
Keep in mind that you really only have two chances to show the client that you are Professional , Take off an Landing, that is what they will be watching very carefully as do crowds.

Landing a drone and watching it tip over is a nightmare for you, the client and bystanders.
We recommend you master the skills needed to protect yourself , the drone and the bystanders and take the fear away.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Coal

The only problem is if you belong to the AMA they prohibit hand catching! I can either land on my take off point or hand catch my P4Pv2, my MP, or my I1v2. I've found it just as easy to hand catch or land!

Suggestions for a landing pad?
This is the one I have - mini landing pad. However, I will probably make a light but more solid one that will be more stable on soft snow and won't blow away under a strong gust of wind.

Chris

I hand catch my P4A every time. That said the reasons you gave about pleasing onlookers and looking studly are plain silly.
The only problem is if you belong to the AMA they prohibit hand catching! I can either land on my take off point or hand catch my P4Pv2, my MP, or my I1v2. I've found it just as easy to hand catch or land!

With 1 exception : To divert the drone from hitting someone and so I would be using that on every flight if your under the microscope.

Landing pads may have there uses but not in the cold, ice, snow with Gusts of crazy wind, as that is a recipe for disaster.
The problem is not only is it a hassle to negotiate the ring but now you have put your focus on landing the drone in the middle of the RING and not on securing your drone.

This is where it is so much easier to hover your drone where ever the weather is taking it and walk to it and secure it.

There a ton of videos on how rings have caused crashes, as people try desperately to land in the center.
So be really careful with that attempt. The good thing about this is the learning curve is quick, it only takes 1 time for your drone to tip or crash to throw away the ring of death. lol

Even with fingers that are frozen, it only takes about 4 seconds to secure and shut off your drone.

Where the Landing Pad comes in handy is on a Remote Landing and than because you have no other choice , its a viable cause and your looking for that orange and blue dot from the sky to land, and that requires a nice big reflective Spot to see. That is where we have found use for the landing pad.

Reactions: 3rdof5
That was probably the best post on hand catching vs landing pads I've ever read. Both have their places and when they can and should be done to maintain control of safety. Very well said!!!!!

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Landing pads may have there uses but not in the cold, ice, snow with Gusts of crazy wind, as that is a recipe for disaster.
The problem is not only is it a hassle to negotiate the ring but now you have put your focus on landing the drone in the middle of the RING and not on securing your drone.

This is where it is so much easier to hover your drone where ever the weather is taking it and walk to it and secure it.

There a ton of videos on how rings have caused crashes, as people try desperately to land in the center.
So be really careful with that attempt. The good thing about this is the learning curve is quick, it only takes 1 time for your drone to tip or crash to throw away the ring of death. lol

Even with fingers that are frozen, it only takes about 4 seconds to secure and shut off your drone.

Where the Landing Pad comes in handy is on a Remote Landing and than because you have no other choice , its a viable cause and your looking for that orange and blue dot from the sky to land, and that requires a nice big reflective Spot to see. That is where we have found use for the landing pad.

I tend to agree about the use of landing pads in cold temps and that is why I am looking at a more solid one. The landing pad I linked to above has been very handy for unsuitable areas to launch from or land such as sand, rocky places, or tall grass. It comes with 3 small tent pegs that can be used to secure it to most surfaces. I have never had a problem launching from or landing on it. The problem in the winter is that the ground is frozen and so using those pegs is not an option and often snow will not hold the pegs secure. I often fly from the ice on a frozen lake and the circular landing pad is not suitable in this case as it is usually windy and there is no place to secure the pad.

My Spark is easy to hand launch but my P3S is not, so I need to be able to launch from a solid surface.

In the cold temps of the winter, I still prefer to launch and land on a landing pad of some sort. The more I have my gloves off the faster the hands get cold and it is more difficult to warm them up. I do use hand warmers on really cold days. Today, my truck was close by so I kept everything in it and just went back and forth to get the things I needed. Out on a bush trail or lake, there will be no opportunity to warm up so I need to keep my hands as warm as possible and the best way to do this is by landing so my hands aren't out in the cold as long.

Chris

Last edited:
Suggestions as to the proper way to hand catch?
I bring it in and hover in front of me slightly above head height. Watch it hover a second looking for flight issues. Inspect the undercarriage. Then walk up and grab an arm from underneath with one hand but don't try to move it, just be ready for the full weight. Then throttle down until the drone turns off.

Here in AZ I've found that a clean and level landing spot is never a guarantee. When I can land ok, but when out in the open desert I hand catch exactly as described Nightwolf.

I also use the folding pad for takeoff if there's too much debris.

Reactions: Chrislaf
Got it. I'll have to practice the technique. Waiting to receive an IPAD MINI 4 so that I can finally maiden.

When I was very new (less than 10 flights) I used the auto land function. The issue was with wind, the drone takes on a angled stance as it lands and cannot touch down reliably when being buffeted (we're not talking gale winds here; 20-30 km/h gusts).

One landing my P3P was gently buffeted and moved sideways whilst landing and flipped over whilst still running. I was less than happy I must say.

I hand catch nearly every flight since then including my Spark. It's simple and allows you to fly when it would be too windy/gusty to land reliably or be able to land in rough terrain or sand etc (that would get into the motors).

Take off is much easier than landing IMPO.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Sorry ... but total bunkum ...

The DJI AC are designed with landing out properly ... hand catching is a method when terrain is unsuitable / on a boat etc.

There is nothing 'clever' or 'fancy' about hand catching. Once you see the results of a bad catch or any other prop strike - i am sure you will then understand ....

Learn to fly your AC properly. Tipping over is a product of poor landing technique ... stop using auto land all the way down to ground ... stop using TWO stick CSC to stop motors ... - learn to manually land out and LEFT stick only motor stop and tip overs are a thing of the past for others to learn how to avoid.

Hand catching lies in the same 'game' as the guys who taxi models back to pit area after landing ... 99.9% of the time - no problem - all goes well ... but having had it happen to me and seen others do it as well ... trip over on way back and model then out of control ... imagine the carnage that can happen.

Get real folks ... even some Club and general rules actually 'outlaw' hand catching unless really unavoidable.

Nigel

Heavy hessian backed carpet ..... its heavy enough that it does not lift with the prop wash ... its heavy enough to stay as is when the AC lands on it ...

It rolls up or you can as I have - cut to fit your case ... but then it asks for precision landing ! THAT is good to practice and know ... instead of resorting to Hand Catch !

Folding picnic table is another ...

Personally I do not like the Landing Pad's you see for sale - too light ... need pegging down .... material distorts with AC settling on ... no good on snow etc.

Nigel

That was probably the best post on hand catching vs landing pads I've ever read. Both have their places and when they can and should be done to maintain control of safety. Very well said!!!!!

Like everything in life ... we can all present our views in various forms ... I am an advocate of land when possible, avoid hand catching unless necessary. I have been in and seen too many events where props have caused injury. From small 4" up to huge 22" props ... NONE are safe when they 'bite'.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl