hand catch - don't want to but might have to - just this once

Reaction score
So there is a chance I am going to be on a boat, 3 miles from shore, trying to get a particular shot. Take off won't be too challenging...its a smallish boat...25'....however, with waves and the general unsteadiness of the normal rocking and swaying of a boat...who here has the best tips for hand catching...on this one-off event?

It will be calm seas, no wind...just floating out there...but should we sway...if I must, I want to be ready to hand catch. Never done it. Guess I'll start practicing in a field close by...

If someone can share their best practices, or attach a link to the most sensible approach to this...I would be happy. thanks

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

First, I wouldn't try it on a 'one off event' when you haven't practiced. Unless of course, you're pining for a new Phantom.

You need to be able to fly the Phantom into your hand. It's not like you will be able to walk a few feet and grab the bird. Practice hand catching on land. Get good at it. Practice in ATTI mode as it is often helpful to have the drone drift a bit with the wind since the boat is going to do that.

BE SURE YOU HAVE LOTS OF BATTERY. In the beginning you will wave off a bunch of times. No big deal if you have 50% battery. Much more exciting at 20%. Remember, below 20% it's gonna land whether or not you are ready for it.

DON'T hand catch in swells. That is dangerous. If the boat is going up and down more than a foot, I don't take off. And I have probably 100 hand catches on a 24 foot boat.

Know where your antennas are.

Either anchor or have somebody keep track of where you are going on the boat's GPS. Boats drift. Sometimes a lot. It is hard to keep track of the boat and the drone simultaneously.

It's lots of fun but pretty nerve wracking when you start. If the boat is trailered, it's not a bad start to work on driveway flying.

Reactions: Falcon900
Never had to hand catch before. I'm usually with another adult when flying. If I had to hand catch, how about flying it close to the other person (about 2' above him) have him walk up behind the ac, grab both legs with both hands, then I do a CSC. Better than doing it myself. Also better him getting cut than me (j/k) [emoji12]. But seriously I would hand catch if I had to. This would be the same procedure if I had to launch in less than ideal conditions. Communication with each other is key.

Last edited:
What are the advantages/disadvantages of hand catching?

Advantages: Anytime there is not a suitable spot due to terrain or other local conditions like sand, tall vegetation, etc. It may be easier for some than, or until, learning how to land in the typical or traditional way.

Disadvantage: It is dangerous though there are ways to mitigate the danger somewhat.

Reactions: SlapUrBean
We had to hand launch & land a few months ago shooting for a TV show in the Outer Banks. It's not hard but it's also not the easiest thing to do so practice, Practice, PRACTICE! You want to be proficient at it long ahead of time so that you're not stressed over it when it's LIVE. Once you get a feel for it you'll be doing it a lot more often. In fact I couldn't tell you the last time I did a Terra Firma landing other than for demonstration purposes. We always hand catch to minimize any flying debris etc.

As suggested save some battery life if you're not rock solid on the controls. It's better to get out of a bad landing than to try and FORCE one in.

Never had to hand catch before. I'm usually with another adult when flying. If I had to hand catch, how about flying it close to the other person (about 2' above him) have him walk up behind the ac, grab both legs with both hands, then I do a CSC. Better than doing it myself. Also better him getting cut than me (j/k) [emoji12]. But seriously I would hand catch if I had to. This would be the same procedure if I had to launch in less than ideal conditions. Communication with each other is key.

The two person routine seems like you're just making it harder. You have to judge when they have control of the drone. It really only takes one hand and after you practice it, becomes almost second nature.

I would avoid doing a CSC, just bring the left stick down and leave it for three seconds (assuming you are in Mode 2). Gentler that way.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of hand catching?

Advantage if you don't want to land on the ground for different reasons such as: sandy beach, unstable ground (on a boat), emergency,
The two person routine seems like you're just making it harder. You have to judge when they have control of the drone. It really only takes one hand and after you practice it, becomes almost second nature.

I would avoid doing a CSC, just bring the left stick down and leave it for three seconds (assuming you are in Mode 2). Gentler that way.

That's why I said communication is key so you don't have to judge when they have control. Yup I correct myself, I'd rather do left stick down rather than CSC. That's what I always do on normal landing.

Reactions: Tricky

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers