How To Fly at Consistent / Smooth Slower Speeds?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone;

With my P3A I am finding it difficult to fly consistently at slower speeds (for instance, 2mph horizontal speed), or ascending / descending at consistent vertical speeds.

What are the best ways to have consistent slow speeds? When I am filming, I am usually trying for somewhere around 1.5 Mph horizontal speed).

Is it better to try and fly at double the speed and up the camera frame rate to 60p and then just slow it down to 30p in post to match my timeline?

Also, any tips on consistent panning (yawing???) would be great, too.

I haven't really explored the advanced modes so I usually just fly manually with the sticks in P (satellite) mode.

Using things pretty much stock out of the box with DJI Go app.

Thanks in advance.

If you have a preset route in mind, give Litchi a try. You can fly the route autonomously at the set speed and altitude you so choose. Doing it that way will allow you much tighter control over your airspeed.

Reactions: Just Mark
If you have a preset route in mind, give Litchi a try. You can fly the route autonomously at the set speed and altitude you so choose. Doing it that way will allow you much tighter control over your airspeed.

Thanks for the tip. How long does it take to set up the missions when "in the field"?

I typically want to shoot several (10 or 15 or so) very short clips, and I am usually in a smaller total area of coverage (imagine maybe a 50 yard radius).

So I would want to maybe fly 50 feet north at 2 miles per hour, stop, and then fly 50 feet south at 2 miles per hour, with the camera orientation the same (i.e., camera facing north when flying north, camera STILL facing north when flying south).

Is that something easy to do quickly?

I say quick because I am a cautious pilot so I tend to use up more battery per flight than many other pilots (because even when not filming, I just fly slower for safety reasons), so where one pilot might only use 25% of their battery, I might use 50% of my battery.

Missions are not that difficult to set up. That particular scenario would be quite quick to set up actually. If you are interested in looking in to that go out to the Mission Hub. You can plan missions there, as well as on the device itself. You can use the hub just to play around with what it looks like and how the missions are set up. Here is the link: Mission Hub - Litchi

I didn't have a chance to film today, but I did fly around for about 20 minutes shooting stills, and after extending the length of the sticks and changing the expo on all three controls down to 3.3 I can say that it does seem to help flying more smoothly. I might even reduce expo a little bit further and see if that will help out a bit.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31