How To Get Smoother / Consistent Speeds in Flight Modes (P3A)

While litchi is good you should look at autopilot from hangar also. The learning curve is claimed by many to be steep but it isn’t once you learn a few basic concepts and it offers significantly more control than litchi. I only use litchi now for flying beyond controller range as it is quick to wack in a rough and dirty waypoint mission. Autopilot will so LCMC waypoint flights now also.

It looks like Autopilot only works on Apple devices, and I have Android phones / tablets.

Reactions: Just Mark
That is a fair point, although with Litchi it does give you the option of set altitude vs AGL altitude which references GE. That other plus is that Litchi still uses Google maps by default.

Sorry, I am a bit confused by this.

When you say that "Litchi it does give you the option of set altitude vs AGL altitude which references GE" do you mean that Litchi allows you to set altitude as MSL instead of AGL? And what do you mean by GE? Does it stand for ground elevation???

And finally, is there a real-world benefit to Litchi using google maps instead whatever DJI Go uses? (I think they use mapbox or something).

Thanks in advance. Your advice has been helpful so far.

When you say that "Litchi it does give you the option of set altitude vs AGL altitude which references GE" do you mean that Litchi allows you to set altitude as MSL instead of AGL? And what do you mean by GE? Does it stand for ground elevation???
GE ( Google Earth ). Using the "AGL" reference, Litchi compensates for the ground elevation vs actual aircraft altitude. Such that for example if you set an altitude of say 100ft in your mission plan and the ground level is actually higher or lower, it will adjust to the elevation profile to maintain the set altitude.

Reactions: Just Mark
GE ( Google Earth ). Using the "AGL" reference, Litchi compensates for the ground elevation vs actual aircraft altitude. Such that for example if you set an altitude of say 100ft in your mission plan and the ground level is actually higher or lower, it will adjust to the elevation profile to maintain the set altitude.

A ha! Thanks for the clarification.

I might have to look into getting an apple device now.

I might have to look into getting an apple device now.
Not me. I already have enough shall I say "discussions" with my better half about those. She is an apple person and I use Android...LOL..;)

I prefer android devices but use Apple because I don’t have time to fiddle around with things not working properly or reliably.
If you have to fiddle around, the device isn't an ideal one to use.
The biggest problem with Android devices for flying isn't that there are so many different ones.
Some aren't up to running DJI Go properly (like older Apple devices) and the good ones run the app perfectly without any fiddling around.

Some aren't up to running DJI Go properly (like older Apple devices) and the good ones run the app perfectly without any fiddling around.
And the same applies to Android, as long as the device has enough RAM to begin with, which is one thing that Apple applied back in the early 80's was RAM Space. And we are talking way back here.

And the same applies to Android, as long as the device has enough RAM to begin with, which is one thing that Apple applied back in the early 80's was RAM Space. And we are talking way back here.
Of course it applies to Android devices - that's what I was talking about.

If you have to fiddle around, the device isn't an ideal one to use.
The biggest problem with Android devices for flying isn't that there are so many different ones.
I know really like Android- I prefer it also as I have often said here. The fact remains. People have a lot more issues with compatibility and glitches on Android than with iOS. I am happy to pay the premium for hassle free use because I'm not interested in wasting my time.

I know really like Android- I prefer it also as I have often said here. The fact remains. People have a lot more issues with compatibility and glitches on Android than with iOS. I am happy to pay the premium for hassle free use because I'm not interested in wasting my time.
Next time you are up for a new tablet, grab a Huawei M3 or M5.
They are really superb flying tablets and completely hassle-free.

The DJI Go 4 app can easily achieve your objectives. You need to adjust the settings for MAX speed, yaw, altitude change and for the rate of change for each of these variables. Having done this your drone will be set up for excellent cinematic video capture. Be aware that when this is done, it takes longer to avoid obstacles ... slower turning and stopping.

You can also use "Virtual Litchi Mission" which lets you set up a mission in advance, and preview what the footage would look like in Google Earth. It's pretty amazing. It's available for free here.

To further clarify altitude in litchi...

When you create waypoints and set an altitude for each one, it defaults to height above home point (takeoff point). You can select them all and change them to height above ground. That causes litchi to calculate a new altitude at each point using its knowledge of ground elevation under that point which is based on google earth terrain mapping.

These calculated altitudes are still above the home point bur they have the terrain difference added or subtracted to the AGL you specify (again, where AGL you specify is referenced to home point (as zero)).

MSL is not visibly referenced so don't confuse yourself with it.

An implicit but very important point is that it only samples and calculates at each waypoint with altitude changing linearly in between. If you are flying over uneven terrain you need to place enough waypoints to get enough sample points lest a hill crops up between points.

For most basic information on what litchi can do and how, the manual is pretty complete so I'd suggest reading through that and en follow up here to fill in gaps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair