[how to] Connect to wifi module via serial

Reaction score
So this is not intended for 90% of people... it is inteded for those of us who SSH into the wifi module and RE and make changes. Alot of changes can be make to improve video quality and range, but that is another thread later :)

So basically this mod lets you connect to the wifi module via serial. You would do this if you logged into the wifi module and screwed up the config.. if the wifi does not come back up you can not SSH back in to fix it, you would of essentially bricked the wifi unit and had to send it back to DJI or buy a new one, now with the serial connection you can fix it youtself :)

The only bit of equipment needed is a USB to TTL cable. They usually come with 3v or 5v, that part does not matter as you will not be plugged the 3/5v cable in.
I used this one (as I have a beaglebone anyways) https://www.adafruit.com/product/954

A huge thanks goes out to sea_ow for figuring out the pinouts of all the cables going into the cable/wifi.

I am going to update the thread tomorrow (time for bed) with pictures and exactly how to do it. Its pretty easy but you will need to chop up 3 of the tiny cables that go into the wifi module, if you do it careful you can put it back together easily, if not, but another cable and have the spare.

Will post up the exact cable and pins, where to plug the USB cable connectors in as well.

There is also another trick you need to do before hand, else you will get stuck once the OS loads, the phantom will work but you will have no access to login..the console will essentially but stuck (but everthing is working)

Will post up all the info tomorrow... my eyes getting a bit sore from soldering/looking at tiny wires for last few hours...

I know most people won't care about this but as someone who logs into the wifi module to try get free modifications by changing settiings this is something I have wanted to do for months, and now finally can :)

Reactions: juliam_c
reserved for the actual how-to part lol

Gotten pics just need to do write up...but left the other day to USA for 3 weeks :/

Btw if anyone has a completky friend wifi module they want to donate that would ve good. Maybe I can serial in and see if any errors and if fixable.. who knows might save us $189 for new module. Can maybe poat to me in USA to save postage costs which ill cover.

Someone sent me a partialy screwed module but it always works the few times ive tried lol...cant get it to fail.

Back from USA trip.
Anyone really care about this lol?

I no of one person it would of helped and saved $200 for wifi module..

In summary pin 5 and 6 (of the large cable going into back of wifi module)connect to the tx and rx of the ttl serial cable...connect gnd also... DO NOT connect the pwr wire on the serial.

Once yiu do that you need to ssh in first and edot /etc/ser2net.conf
Comment out the first line talking about ttys0. A "commment" meand add a # symbil to the front of line.

Reboot and choose corrrect commport on computer and she will load up and u can login as root.

You cant use the dji app after u edit the ser2net file....so fix up whatever you have broken on wifi module then take out the comment and reboot.

Then go flying.

For the 1% interested in thus let me know if you need any help.

I have lots of mods ive done to my wifi module to incresse range etc etc... but will post that up later...noone seems interested in free mods...ppl prefer to rather spend money
Each to there own :) all good...

Last edited:
Reactions: StevenQX
I'm always interested in mod but at the moment I'm working on cam mods. I'm trying to enable 1920*1080 60p on p2v+ camera. First goal was to increase bitrates and is achieved. Now the difficult one...

@justin00

Can you share the pin diagram for the wifi module and your process for getting a serial console? I made my wifi non-accessible after changing the wifi-channel to 'auto'. Can chat offline as well. Thanks

kl

om sent. lets talk on ohone ifvwevcan. im inbaus..

laptop broken and typinbon phinevshitting me

as a few people interested in this now... there is a slight problem...

So I mention doing this

"Once yiu do that you need to ssh in first and edot /etc/ser2net.conf
Comment out the first line talking about ttys0. A "commment" meand add a # symbil to the front of line."

the commenting out the ttys0 is the key.. its allowing the app to have full control of ttys0, which is the console.
You need to comment it out so it lets your laptop/connection to the serial do the typing...btw when you comment it out your laptop can type/login, but the DJI app dosnt work anymore... so you have to pikc one or the other... Unfortunately you can't leave it commented out so the laptp can serial in, as app doesn't work.

Forgot to add you can keep changing the ttysq0 setting..but problem is you dont no when the you need to change to allow keyboard in..so not really viable...maybe I can play araund and see if possible to have both app and laptop activr in ttys0....only thing is bareky anyone understands/needs this and wheb they do its to late lol...if i get bored ill play around

Last edited:
Hi Justin00. I'm interested 100% in this topic. My case is that i "installed" the WebUI lucy ( Install WebUI ) and i was happy making modifications to channel and power levels of the wifi module in my P2V+ via WIFI. At some point i used the option "disable" (i'm very stupid) the wifi from the P2V+. So the hidden wifi network disappear obvuisly and then i lost the interface to reactivate it.

At this moment i have 3 options:

1. Buy and install a new wifi module for 200 USD. -I think this could fix the problem, not completely sure.

2. Send my P2V to DJI to repair the unit. this is a little difficult because im in Colombia and im not sure how much is it to send the unit. Maybe ill wait to travel in november to take it there.

3. Meanwhile i travel, I want to test this solution. Try to connect to the kernel via the UART.

I have an USB to Serial and i thought this cable works to connect but i remembered that this hast negative levels of voltage (not the needed TTL) so tomorrow i will go to buy the correct cable and begin to analyze and understand the signals... but maybe i think i will be truncated in this step:

"Once yiu do that you need to ssh in first and edot /etc/ser2net.conf

I'll post here my discovers (if i get to have one).

For now ill share the images taken from sea_owl in rcgroups forum page.[file]P2V+ wiring stock|none[/file][file]Pin diagram Wifi Module|none[/file]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.