How many have had no major issues of flyaways?

If flyaways were common place then no on would purchase a Phantom. In addition companies would advertize their new non-flyaway features on the drone.

Sadly the flyaway issue is almost a non-issue and is the easist and less embarrassing thing to say after one has crashed or lost their drone.

I can't speak for the Phantom 1, but as far as the Phantom 2 and 3 are concerned it is next to impossible to have a flyaway. You can have honest stupidity situations where you fly out of transmission range, have no GPS home point recorded, have your return to home settings set incorrectly, etc, which all lead to possibly never seeing your Phantom again. But these are not flyaways.

I have owned mine for a little over a year and have never had a fly away. It has flown great everytime and the battery still puts out about 20 minutes of flight time. I lost signal one time with it about 3/4 of a mile out and RTH kicked in and it flew right back to it's home point. If you take care of it and do what you need to do before each flight there should never be an issue.

How do you get 20 minutes flight time? What is your battery percent when you land it after a flight like that? I fly with a group here who all fly the P2V+, and none ever get a time like that, several different brands of batteries being used. Most bring the quad in at about 20 percent batt remaining after a 12 -13 minute flight.
Have you actually timed the flight time, of estimated it.

New pilot error lost my first P2V+. I knew the GPS was intermittent- going from 8 sats to 3 instantly, 5 to 0, etc. Should have known that was a no-fly day until GPS was fixed. But, up it went, after all looked good, and once it got above a nearby metal buildings roofline, connection lost, and the wind took over. Never found. Winds were 12-15 mph, with higher gusts. Woods, houses, streets downrange, but never was returned despite my name/phone on it. :(

Many flights with my PV2+, 2 x hard crashes , 1 x pilot error in high winds, damaged gimbal, 1 x flying to close to overhead HV electrical wires and pylons that caused the Phantom to lose total control and disappear into the remote distance!!! A damaged ECS only luckily.
Easy to fly and control, pre flights as above and 6 to 7 sats before I take off.
Also catch on landing.
2 x batteries, 1 x only lasting 10 to 12 minutes, 1 x lasting 18 to 20 minutes.
Thinking about buying a P3 A or P as well, not convinced the P4 has enough advantages yet.
Drain you batteries completely after 10 flights, put in the freezer overnight , recharge and add several minutes flight time to each battery.

RAI NZ- What is the reasoning/reference to freezing the battery?
I always thought that was a bad idea, but would like to hear the reasoning for doing that.

Hi jwax, an engineer friend runs a P2 (non 2V+) had a battery that wouldnt accept a charge, had learnt from past experience that if he froze it, it would accept a charge, tried it and it worked.
As for the principal behind it, not sure , I have used this method for AA & AAA rechargeables, it certainly works for them, also extends their use by date after so many cycles.
See my link below

How do you get 20 minutes flight time? What is your battery percent when you land it after a flight like that? I fly with a group here who all fly the P2V+, and none ever get a time like that, several different brands of batteries being used. Most bring the quad in at about 20 percent batt remaining after a 12 -13 minute flight.
Have you actually timed the flight time, of estimated it.
Original battery that came with it, I had it flying last week at a 5k event. Had it in the air for 18 min. battery was at 3% when I brought it down and caught by hand. I have an extra battery that I purchased a couple months ago that I can't even get 13 minutes on so I guess I hit the quadcopter battery lottery with the other.

Hey , PV2+ never even looked like havin a flyaway, using Litchi app and love it.......heaps of flights, 3 batteries and all going well. purchased Nov 2014, still on first set of blades.
i think its all down to prep as many others have said.....patience's is a virtue.

PV2+ v3
107 flights, no flyaways. Always full battery's. (106 compass calibrations, forgot once and worried so I aborted that flight)

Got to agree with the pre flight advice that most are saying. Just bought a 2nd hand dji 2 + and look at weather apps,wind , solar goings on etc it all helps !

My PV2+V3 has been bullet proof for over a year now, about 130 flights (spread across 2 batteries). Never crashed, nearly always hand-catch.

This afternoon was my first fly-away, and it was scary. Things happen fast, but I flicked the Atti mode and quickly gained some height, got my orientation and then landed it (still in Atti mode). It shows that you need to keep LoS with these things - don't rely on GPS to look after your toy :)

The phantom was in hovering in GPS mode just above my house, about 50M up. I was taking a series of photos to make a pano. I looked down at the screen to check alignment on my next photo and heard the motors revving up, looked up to see the phantom heading off like a scolded cat, but not in a smooth line, it was bucking between flat orientation and leaning hard over. As soon as I flicked into Atti it settled.

Even if your phantom is well behaved and always has been, expect the unexpected !

Adam

Reactions: myvrodrocks
expect the best but plan for the worst
saves your @ss every time
in life too, not just quads
haha

I have been flying DJI since 2013. PV2, Vision + and now 3 pro. I live and fly in Germany. Never a problem. Took it to Utah and first flight it just went haywire. Flew so steep I could see the props, flew out of control about 1/4 mile then back to normal again. I have over 100 flights undrr my belt. My guess is the amount of wi-fibaround. In Germany I rarely get wi-fi popping up on my phone but in the states in rural areas you can't go 10 feet without 5-6 wi-fis popping up...but that's just my story. Snd yes I calibrate at every new location.

Wondering: I had always guessed the flyaways reported were due to compass issues, not wifi. Comments?

Over two years and two Phantom v+ with several hundred flights both before and after FCC doing just fine and no major issues. A few bumps and bruises due to trying fancy flying but for the most part when I behave they do great!
Fantastic litte machines.

Owed a P2V, P2V+ well over 100+ flights on each and had an issue with my (brand new) P2V+ the very first flight, but sent it back & received a new one. Aside from that never a flyaway issue...

Playing with one since Nov2014 no issues same props got me and Inspire 4 moths ago but the P2 is my Fav toy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4