Quad drop out of the sky from motor failure? How many have had this happen?

Reaction score
I fly more days than not. I am always concerned about equipment failure: batteries, motors, etc. I have trouble finding the answer to the life expectancy of the motors. I would want to change the motors before the average lifespan of the motor is reached. It is a safety issue with me.

Who has had their quad fall from the sky from the motors stop working? How many hours or flights did they have? What were you flying?

The only wearing parts are the bearings. Post flight temp monitoring as compared to each other could alert you to one bearing set failing.

You'll crash for some other reason before bearing failure as they are not subject to immediately lock-up.

To ease your mind a bit on this, check motor temps immediately post flight, if they are all at roughly the same temp you should be good, as developing bearing problems on all the motors at the same time is pretty unlikely. A preflight check should have all motors turning freely, with no noticeable side to side movement. If a bearing problem is developing, thats going to also stress that motors ESC more as well and might be looked at if that motor is replaced.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart