How many people went straight to DJI instead of smaller drones first?

Reaction score
I'm curious after reading posts here how many people went from no quad experience to a DJI?

I see threads where if the pilot had a clue how to fly it never would have happened (no offense intended!)
I've had probably 10 different small quads that actually require you to know how to fly it before doing anything, where the DJI you can be 1500 ft up and 9000ft away within 2 minutes of unboxing with little to no experience or even knowledge of how a quad flies.

I guess what I'm getting at is I think it's hugely important to know how to fly before flying a 1000 dollar drone that almost flies itself, because when something goes wrong you need to know how to handle it.
So many people can't even take off or land without the app, it's crazy to me!

My first quad was a P2V+. It was all new to me back then, but I took the time to read the manual and research forums, YouTube, etc. to learn as much as I could about it. I had absolutely no trouble learning how to fly it. I think a lot of people have trouble because they don't want to invest the time it takes to learn how to do everything properly. They prefer to figure everything out mid-flight :D

Just as another point, You certaintly can learn to fly on a DJI and there's nothing wrong with that! I just think it's wiser to buy a 50 dollar toy and crash that instead!

Reactions: toddena
My P3P is my first drone. I too spent months researching this thing before pulling the trigger. I'm not one who enjoys wasting money; I figured, regardless of which drone I initially bought, I would eventually end up with the P3P. Everyone has to start on something. So if one is prepared to learn, and also prepared to take a $1000 loss, then reach for the sky. This has been the funnest "toy" I've ever owned, and I have no regrets beginning on the P3P.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well b4 I got my p3a I had 2 mjx X600 and I still have them 2 b honest I use them as my stunt drones I've had them in trees and roofs they got alot of war scars but with them I learned 2 fly and if anything happened 2 them they only cost me 50 pounds each hell I've even got my daughter who is only 9 into flying quads and she be putting alot of grown people 2 shame with her skills in my opinion buy a cheap quad first learn all your mistakes with that then jump 2 the phantom nothing worse than getting an expensive drone then lose control of it and watch it fly away lol bye bye

Well b4 I got my p3a I had 2 mjx X600 and I still have them 2 b honest I use them as my stunt drones I've had them in trees and roofs they got alot of war scars but with them I learned 2 fly and if anything happened 2 them they only cost me 50 pounds each hell I've even got my daughter who is only 9 into flying quads and she be putting alot of grown people 2 shame with her skills in my opinion buy a cheap quad first learn all your mistakes with that then jump 2 the phantom nothing worse than getting an expensive drone then lose control of it and watch it fly away lol bye bye

Exactly how I feel.

Reactions: Doink
The P3P was my first RC anything. Bought it on DJI Black Friday sale, then my wife had me wait for Christmas to open as it was my big gift. Spent that time reading up (primarily here) and bought a Syma X5 in the meantime. Can't say I acquired any flying skills other than crashing, but it sure made me appreciate the stability of the Phantom on Christmas day!

The Parrot AR Drone 2.0 was my drone Genesis.
Actually, my Phantom 3 Pro' was my second last drone purchase.
See my SIG, for the fleet.

RedHotPoker

My first quad was a P2V+. It was all new to me back then, but I took the time to read the manual and research forums, YouTube, etc. to learn as much as I could about it. I had absolutely no trouble learning how to fly it. I think a lot of people have trouble because they don't want to invest the time it takes to learn how to do everything properly. They prefer to figure everything out mid-flight :D
Or post crash. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: msinger
I started with the Hubsan H501S thinking that I wouldn't care that much about video quality and just wanted something with GPS and a camera to fly. Got one of the first batches back in January. Now I wish I'd have gotten the P3S to begin with, although the P3S was a bit more expensive at that time than they are today. Granted, I learned how to fly (and not to fly) quads (along with modifying, repairing....alot) using the Hubsan and it made me more comfortable moving to the P3S, but I probably would have been OK had the P3S been my first. The price today makes the P3S very attractive, and I am pleased as can be with the one I have. Anyone want a used H501S? It's been rebuilt a few times, but it flies! ;-) LOL!!!!

They need to make bomb proof beginner drones!
Whoops, crash proof, would be a better, kinder way to describe this. ;-)
If you are giving it away, donate it to a rehab or children's hospital ward. I don't know... I won't need or want it, but please do give it a good home, to a worthy soul.

RedHotPoker

I gathered some experience with $20 helicopters, and then a little more with a $50 toy quad. Then right to the Phantom 3 Pro. I have lost GPS with the P3P a couple of times in flight and the previous experience was priceless!

Reactions: toddena
I have some nearly indestructible drones; one of which I managed to crash on to pavement from ~30m high while inverted and at full throttle. You cant crash much harder than that, yet it still flies today. But they are anything but suitable for an absolute beginner (250-280 class FPV racers). Most dont even have attitude mode, let alone altitude hold. Let go of the sticks and it will crash in seconds.

Anyway, Ive flown plenty of multirotors before getting a P3A. FPV race quads, self built 450 class quads, nano quads, and most recently a parrot bebop 2. Ive also been flying RC planes for many years. I decided to get the phantom purely for aerial video. Even then I wasnt going to, I was actually waiting for the Xiaomi drone to be released, but I came across a slightly crashed P3A so cheap, I couldnt say no.

I flew RC airplanes in the 90's. I also attempted to fly a gas powered RC helicopter about 10 years ago (I could barely hover). Next was a P2V which I sold for my P3A. Flying these are way easy! GPS takes all the everyday hazards out of the equation. Once above the tree line if you lose your perspective, just let go of the controls. Try that with a regular heli! I compare it to a pilot flying at altitude in a 757 versus an F15 pilot doing combat maneuvers.

I agree that you should probably get a cheap quad for practice to learn how to control it when it is facing you or going sideways - or if you lose GPS. They are also more prone to VRS which will make you more aware of that possibility.

If you are still interested in RC heli flight, be it collective pitch, coaxial, fly bar, fixed pitch, electric or nitro/gasser what have you. Look into www.realflight.com SIM. It can get you very well prepared to fly the real deal. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Bought the P3A a week ago and that was my first quad or RC flying machine, the stability even in high winds is amazing and I'm loving it, I took the plunge straight for the phantom as I knew it was were I would end up so I just thought I may aswell start there and not waste time or money. I'm soon to do a CAA license and hopefully get started on some commercial stuff for estate agents.

Went from 6 channel flybarless 600 T-Rex straight to a Dji, it was simple compared to helicopters but different. Was still trying to play with the collective for a while

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20