How many gimbals do I need?

Reaction score
I am saving for a P3. I want it ready to roll, have optimum performance, and I've budgeted about $1800. Which camera and which gimbel assembly/manufacturer am I looking for? To be used in breezy southern Utah. Short narratives appreciated. I understand gimbals from years on the sea, just want to get the right one first time.

I have been accused of being confused, but nothing was ever proven in court. Yes, I can see that the P3 comes with a gimbal, and a camera. But I also see that the cameras and gimbels appear to be of different types. I was looking for clarification. Perhaps the "stock" camera isn't as good as the upgrade. Perhaps the "upgrade" camera isn't worth the price over the "stock" one. As for what I want to use it for, I want it for personal use, but do have some realtors and others who might like an aerial photo service.

I have been accused of being confused, but nothing was ever proven in court. Yes, I can see that the P3 comes with a gimbal, and a camera. But I also see that the cameras and gimbels appear to be of different types. I was looking for clarification. Perhaps the "stock" camera isn't as good as the upgrade. Perhaps the "upgrade" camera isn't worth the price over the "stock" one. As for what I want to use it for, I want it for personal use, but do have some realtors and others who might like an aerial photo service.
There is no "stock" vs "upgrade". What is on the P3 is what is on the P3. If you are talking about the P3 Advanced vs the P3 Pro, then the only difference is the Pro can shoot 4k video while the Advanced can shoot 1080p video. Neither of the cameras are interchangeable, and the gimbals are identical. So perhaps I am just confused about what you're actually asking.

Reactions: Built Drones
I'm sure you would be able to modify or attach a different gimbal and camera system once it arrives. It might be better to try out what's stock and work from that. More often than not, the majority of people can't differentiate between 8 megapixel and 14 megapixel images at small print sizes. It really becomes more important to capturing the "data" for enhancements to the image or enlargement of the photo. The video frames per second are a much more noticeable difference and I believe DJI is trying to overcome that a bit, but the GoPro's seem to do a better job. This may also be due to the optics (lenses) they use in production as well as the frame rate.

As to the 1080P vs 4K argument I find this article fairly good. http://www.rtings.com/info/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs-and-upscaling-compared

This again deals with image enlargement and refresh rates, color saturation, and the amount of "data" captured.

I know I didn't provide and answer, but hopefully this helps. Since very few have access to the P3 currently only after a bit of exposure can your question be answered with any authority.

Thanks, bbfpv and all. You have stated a clear understandable answer. It is daunting sometimes making sense of multiple descriptions of the same thing. What I am trying to do is research what I want, how I want it, and not be changing things soon after getting one. I do understand it better now.

Steve the cameras and gimbals on both P3 models are identical except the Pro can also shoot video at the higher 4K resolution. There aren't any others that you would be able to fit to the P3.
Either would be fine for real estate and other aerial photo applications.
Unless you have a need for 4K video (and the computer hardware necessary to deal with it) the Advanced is going to do everything you need.

Reactions: Built Drones
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers