how far away can you actually see your uav ?

The purpose of the VLOS rule is based on the fact that while flying FPV (using a tablet screen alone), you can only see the airspace directly in front of the drone. You cannot see other aircraft that may be approaching from above, below or from a different direction. You also cannot see obstacles that may be in the vicinity if your view is only forward. So the FAA requires the use of spotters that can see then entire airspace around the drone in situations when the pilot cannot.

Last edited:
The purpose of the VLOS rule is based on the fact that while flying FPV (using a tablet screen alone), you can only see the airspace directly in front of the drone. You cannot see other aircraft that may be approaching from above, below or from a different direction. You also cannot see obstacles that may be in the vicinity if your view is only forward. So the FAA requires the use of spotters that can see then entire airspace around the drone in situations when the pilot cannot.
That is what I thought.

Funny thing is we have helicopters fly over at low altitude that come on fast and gone before I think I could react. Not sure how high they were never had a quad up at the same time.

The FAA, for both commercial and recreational pilots, requires the the PIC/VO always have a visual line of sight from the controller to the drone. They believe VLOS will enable the PIC to control the drone more effectively if they can see it or are being advised by a VO who has VLOS. In addition, if they can see it, that means they can also see avoid possible dangers that could cause an accident, e.g., flock of birds, airplanes, balloons, towers, etc and can take action to avoid a mid-air collision.

Yes I think I mentioned that I use spotters Along the route.I normally don't fly that far away unless it's for searching.We use our phones and the telescope guy is a plus, not what I rely on.I use the old triangle method to keep an idea where I should look.You can tell by video where you are but landmarks a must.Most all of my long flights were over marshes looking for dog's..I am 53 and a pyrotechnic so my eyes are not so good.Fireworks are bad for your eyes.The florescent paint really was a huge help.I normally use way points that way I can watch the drone with spotter or adjust the camera.Or take over the drone if I see something like a bird.My backyard is a marsh so I can sit on my roof and see for miles.Then is open water over the sound..

I have managed to keep my P3s in sight up to 500m, but its a tiny speck, i also have a strobon fitted to the rear and at dusk it stands out well, my AQ600 is huge, black and lit up with super bright LED`s so i can see that further out, but i do stick to line of sight, here is a pic of the AQ600 (home build)

Attachments

• AQ600 pm flight (2).jpg
    AQ600 pm flight (2).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 283
Obsessing over LOS range when you're talking about it just being a spec, I think is counter productive. You're not really accomplish anything, except possibly complying to the letter of the law, but not even its intent. And you can't prove it. You should be concentrating on the video feed and the map. They'll come home VERY reliably if the signal is lost.

All good stuff guys.I really love (air map) app...It really does have real time notice of aircraft in the space that you have notified you will be using.It even shows it fly by on the map...You can hear it sometimes, most of the time before it pops up.But it shows exactly where it is in case you don't see it..I also stay between 200 to 250 ft altitude so that helps avoid any aircraft.In searches I am much lower.Safe and happy flying to all.

More than half a mile and up 60ft. was soooo small, looked down at the controller for a minute while it hovered then back up and i couldn't see it. Freaked me out but flew back a little bit and ascended and caught my eye again.

What is the purpose of VLOS rule of the FAA? I can guess but was wondering if others actually knew.
I can only speculate. I don't remember any whys being discussed when I studied for my 107. If you loose FPV you loose control, safety is always very high on FAA priorities. Safer with VLOS.

If you're flying VLOS, how do you know which direction it's headed from your location? I haven't had the pleasure of flying a DJI yet, still saving up for my first purchase.

I can only speculate. I don't remember any whys being discussed when I studied for my 107. If you loose FPV you loose control, safety is always very high on FAA priorities. Safer with VLOS.

If you're flying VLOS, how do you know which direction it's headed from your location? I haven't had the pleasure of flying a DJI yet, still saving up for my first purchase.
You can lose FPV on your device for a variety of reasons but still have VLOS. If you have a green light on your RC, you still have control and can initiate RTH in the event you are unaware of its location. It happens.
You have a radar display on your app that gives you orientation of your drone and with practice, can easily bring your drone back in either Atti or P-GPS mode.

IMHO VLOS is another idiotic requirement made by the FAA and one made by people who never fly UAS. It is the same kind of logic as to having 5 questions regarding radio frequencies on the written examination. None of use radios ever and there is no requirement (yet) to carry one. The VLOS requirement will die a sudden death once commercial drones come on line for deliveries and the most powerful Amazon will flagrantly defy the FAA to try and regulate them. The only way to perform those kinds of flights is programed autonomous missions. I also suspect they will have a single "pilot" programming multiple UAS for delivery missions and no one will be paying any particular attention to them once launched. Money and power always win out, particularly in the USA, so this will become moot some time in the near future.

That said, I have experimented with my Phantom 4 to see just how far I can observe accurately. Meaning, where I can see and avoid obstacles particularly when flying low near trees or other obstacles. I think 100 meters would be the very maximum distance for VLOS in a see and avoid situation. I also pay very close attention to the screen and the map location and always take a hard look at minimum altitudes for clearance and RTH so if the drone loses contact and initiates a RTH event it doesn't bang into something. I also (for many reasons) program my flights using Google Earth for subsequent upload into Litchi so I can ensure ground clearance and also to get smoother videos. But, I still pay close attention to it when it is flying autonomously so I can intercede if it becomes an issue. But to say I always have it in view would be an overstatement. I always know where it is at any given point from the map plot on the screen and secondarily the FPV screen. To me that situational awareness is really what is required. Like someone said here if you take your eyes off it then you will not be able to find it again in most light conditions. To not check the screen frequently is very risky (what we do when driving a car as an example). Yesterday, I was actually flying manually to record a circular video around a hilltop castle and had the drone in sight all the time. However, I ended up flying through a flock of birds luckily without incident, but there was no way to see that coming fixating on the drones location. MY wife was acting as a second set of eyes and warned me of the birds but they were already past the drone when I reacted. So, VLOS is not a particularly useful requirement in most situations. Still, it is the law so we must comply until someone figures out a better way to do this.

At those distances once you look away, your eye has nothing to focus on.
That's why I use the strobes. Looking away and looking back, I can see them immediately. They are visible for up to 3 miles.

I dont know for sure, I've got a 107 license, in my studies, they said VLOS but not why. Knowing the FAA, I would guess it's safety related.

Don

Thanks for the strobe idea. I hadn't thought or read about those and it seems like a very good idea. I couldn't find any that just replace the ones on the P4 so went with the Flytron strobes and ordered the Flytron Cree standalones and will 3D print holders to mount them onto. I want to be seen by others as we have a fair number of low flying helicopters that might pose a problem. At 33 pounds including shipping not a horrible cost and I think money well spent. Being standalones they come with small batteries which are chargeable separately. Like Don says it is a safety thing. Extra visibility is likely not a bad idea unless you really want to be stealthy.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart