How do you like to learn to fly drones?

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
There are lots of resources on the Internet that help people fly DJI drones. Some of the most common resources include:
  • YouTube videos
  • Forums where you can get one-on-one help
  • News sites
  • Articles
  • Online courses
Thinking about all of the drone resources you’ve come across, which are your favorite? Which do you feel offer the most value when you’re in search of tips for learning how to fly your DJI drones?

First and foremost, this forum because of the wealth of knowledge and information available here. I must say though, I find myself a bit cautious when posting because of some of the condescending replies I have seen.

Second, YouTube where you can find just about anything.

I've also found some podcasts that I listen to when on the road, mainly Drone U.

Reactions: msinger
Forums for guidance and official websites for rules & regulations.

I've found this forum to be very valuable for learning everything about these drones. Learning to actually fly, imo, is something that just requires hands on experience and practice on an individual basis. Learning what these aircraft can actually do is another thing altogether, and I've found YouTube is best for showing just how capable and reliable these AC are and has given me confidence and trust to fly my AC to its full ability. The biggest thing I've learned in this forum is being a responsible and safe pilot, which imo, is the most important lesson in flying.

Reactions: DR.B
I've gained a lot of valuable knowledge from this forum, and you tube videos are numerous and useful, especially for beginners (like me) ;)
Also bought a house drone, which makes these no fly days more interesting and helps me learn to think from the drone's perspective.

I did a bit of self study using the FAA Study Guide, Online videos and a 3 day Pt 107 prep class. The first DJI UAS I ever flew was my instructors Inspire 1 on the second day of class.

Reactions: SF327
Bought a Tello and crashed that, so I learned what not to do when flying. That was the closest I could find to flying a DJI drone, without breaking the bank and the house. For info, tips and tricks, this forums is amazing. Although what @Maddy said about condescending answers is true, they do end up helping you, so if you can get past their tone in the answer and use the knowledge provided, you should be good.

Reactions: SF327 and 3rdof5
Here is what I would recommend:
  • Read, read, read. Do your research and learn from the mistakes of others.
  • Some things you learn when getting your pilot's license, which are about mentality and are hard to teach:
    Some people just don't have the proper temperament to operate a drone and they should just back away, for everyone's safety.
    These things are patience, attention to detail, focus, and planning. Don't ever be in a rush. Don't skip over "boring stuff". Don't talk to someone else or check your text messages while flying. Etc...
  • Buy a cheap toy drone without GPS and without FPV to start out. If you crash it or you realize that drones are not for you then you haven't made a big investment. Plus if you can learn spatial orientation and proper stick handling on that drone, you will be able to fly a Phantom in your sleep.
  • Read the entire Phantom User Manual from cover to cover. Know it inside and out.
  • Close your eyes with the controller in your hand and practice stick movements and button presses. You should know where every button and lever is on your controller without having to look down at it.
  • On your first flight, try to go out with an experienced pilot. Take a lesson if that's possible.
  • Make your first flights in perfect weather conditions and have a plan of what you want to cover. Use a big open space. Practice flying squares, circles, triangles, so you get a feel for the controls.
  • Remember that if you get in trouble, LET GO OF THE STICKS. Your drone will hover and you can compose yourself.
  • Study for your Part 107 even if you are not planning on commercial operations. It teaches you about airspace, proper planning, and how to fly safely. Don't just take practice tests. Dive into it and learn the material.
That's about it for now. Have fun but be safe!

I found this forum early on, before I even bought a drone, and read just about everything I could, particularly the lost drone and crash threads. My thought was that if I could learn from these folks who had misfortune, I could be better prepared to keep my aircraft intact.

Next biggie was the manual - several times. I wanted to know the aircraft, what it could do, but most importantly, what it could not do.

The other thing that really helped was a series of youtube vids on aircraft handling and practice exercises. I did those and it helped immensely. And yes, i even used beginner mode as well.

Reactions: SF327
I found this forum early on, before I even bought a drone, and read just about everything I could, particularly the lost drone and crash threads. My thought was that if I could learn from these folks who had misfortune, I could be better prepared to keep my aircraft intact.

Next biggie was the manual - several times. I wanted to know the aircraft, what it could do, but most importantly, what it could not do.

The other thing that really helped was a series of youtube vids on aircraft handling and practice exercises. I did those and it helped immensely. And yes, i even used beginner mode as well.

Greetings! It's all about knowledge and patience. I've heard that the drone restrictions in Canada are crazy, basically making it impossible to fly anywhere but the most remote areas. How are you flying in the Toronto area?

There are certain areas you can fly in. I have one spot west of the city which is just on the outside of the Toronto Control zone, close to Lake Ontario. I will eventually lose that spot as the area becomes redeveloped.

If you are talking about just the basics of recreational flying and basic controls then I would say “Practice”. How do you practice? You take your drone out to an open area and fly it. Nothing beats the real thing. On the DJI Go app there is a simulator mode where you can get simulated stick time to get a feel of flying a drone without the worry of damage. This can build your confidence so when you do fly for real you will be more comfortable.

I've heard that the drone restrictions in Canada are crazy, basically making it impossible to fly anywhere but the most remote areas

In Canada you can fly your Drone/UAV almost anywhere....
If you plan to fly a drone/UAV for fun you must learn and follow the laws that apply to recreational drone use.
If you are using your drone/UAV for work or research, you will need special permission from Transport Canada and will be required to file a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC). If you fly your drone/UAV for fun and it weighs 35 kg or less, you do not need special permission from Transport Canada but must adhere to all flight rules and regulations.
The SFOC certificate tells you how and where you are allowed to use your drone.
Following the safety rules helps keep people, aircraft and property safe.
It’s the law! If you fly your drone for fun and it weighs more than 250 g and up to 35 kg, follow these rules:

• within 90 m above the ground or lower
  • at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels, and the public
    (if your drone weighs more than 250 g up to 1 kg)
  • at least 76 m away from vehicles, vessels, and the public
    (if your drone weighs more than 1 kg up to 35 kg)
  • at least 5.6 km from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane
    base, or areas where aircraft take-off and land)
  • at least 1.9 km away from heliports or aerodromes used exclusively
    by helicopters
  • outside of controlled or restricted airspace
  • at least 9 km away from a natural hazard or disaster area
  • away from areas where it could interfere with police or first responders
  • during the day and not in clouds
  • within your sight at all times
  • within 500 m of yourself or closer
  • only if clearly marked with your name, address and telephone number.
  • If you fly where you are not allowed or you break the rules above, you could be fined up to $3,000.

I would imagine that other Country's are working on stricter regulations as well as it is in the best interest and safety for all of us!

Last edited:
Think what you do and dare to ask. I have already asked many 'stupid' questions on this forum and have always received a good answer.

And ... with my information I can also help someone else again.

Think what you do and dare to ask. I have already asked many 'stupid' questions on this forum and have always received a good answer.

And ... with my information I can also help someone else again.

I really go by the saying that "there is no such thing as a stupid question". We've all been there in the "stupid" phase. You learn by experience and by asking questions. It's much better to ask the stupid question rather than being afraid to do so and then doing something truly stupid.

Agree with the statement above. Buy a $30 - $50 toy drone without GPS to start out. It's the best training for when the day comes that something goes wrong, the dji loses trajectory data and you don't know how that little dot is the sky is oriented. I walked across a lot of fields in the early days to pick up my cheap Syma drone, but it was great training that prevented fly aways when I graduated to dji / GPS drones. Keeping the sun behind sure helps too!

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Bought a Tello and crashed that, so I learned what not to do when flying. That was the closest I could find to flying a DJI drone, without breaking the bank and the house. For info, tips and tricks, this forums is amazing. Although what @Maddy said about condescending answers is true, they do end up helping you, so if you can get past their tone in the answer and use the knowledge provided, you should be good.
Amen! Lots of criticism here about what you should have done or what they would do.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor