How Much Do You Know About DJI Drones? - How Do Drones Work?

Reaction score
Today, drones are getting easier and more fun to fly. When it’s becoming a trend for drone companies to make consumer drones for more common users, drones have transformed from a geeky enthusiasts affair to a full-on cultural phenomenon.
If you are completely new to UAV, or you just got yourself a new DJI drone, there are quite a number of things you need to know about them, but you certainly won’t be wrong to start with the features below. Let's check them out!

1. How do drones work?

· Basic components

To understand how drones work, the first thing you should know is the basic components of drones and how these parts work together.

TX – The Transmitter
It means your remote controller. RC enables you to control the aircraft from a distance.
ECS – Electronic Speed Controller
The electronic speed controller controls the rotational speed of the motor.
RX – The Receiver
It is an electronic device that receives radio waves from the transmitters and converts the information carried by them to a usable form.

· Principle of Control

The movement of drones relies on the pulling force generated by the rotors. When the rotor is rotated by the engine through the rotating shaft, the rotor applies the acting torque to the air, and the air inevitably acts on the rotor (or anti-torque) at the same time. And with the equal and opposite reaction torque, the rotor transmits this reaction torque to the aircraft. If no measures are taken to balance it, the reaction torque will make the aircraft rotate counter to the rotation of the rotor. In other words, spin occurs. So that's why on a quadcopter, the propellers are usually used in pairs.

Reactions: PhantomPilotUK
But, But, wait ! You don't mention how the motors have to be three phase AC motors so that speed and torque can be controlled independently, nor how thrust vectoring is used for lateral motion. And how does it turn to point in a different direction when it is in a level hover?

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Just starting to wonder why 'Jhonson' is posting all these... Do You know ... posts ??

I know there are many dimwits out there flying all sorts of multi-rotors .. doing all sorts with all sorts of gear .... but most people who make it to these forums have a rough idea what's going on.

But, But, wait ! You don't mention how the motors have to be three phase AC motors so that speed and torque can be controlled independently, nor how thrust vectoring is used for lateral motion. And how does it turn to point in a different direction when it is in a level hover?
There is a great deal that was left out of that summary of "How Drones Work". It shows the basic parts but really next to nothing about how they actually work.

Reactions: Kirby Johnson
Just starting to wonder why 'Jhonson' is posting all these... Do You know ... posts ??

I know there are many dimwits out there flying all sorts of multi-rotors .. doing all sorts with all sorts of gear .... but most people who make it to these forums have a rough idea what's going on.
I'm not sure that's accurate. I've met even experienced and licensed pilots who really don't have a clue about aerodynamics or how a quadcopter does what it does.

I'm not sure that's accurate. I've met even experienced and licensed pilots who really don't have a clue about aerodynamics or how a quadcopter does what it does.

What I read from our new guy is not aerodynamics or Multi-Rotor interaction to achieve flight - but an attempt to quote simply.
TBH - who really needs to know deep theory anyway on these ... they work.

I know fantastic 3D flyers with fixed wing ... ask them why something does what it does when they throw sticks and they mumble out something ... fact is - it does it.

Attachments

• DJI battery summary.pdf
    61.6 KB · Views: 288
Thanks SL, I already took advantage of your very useful summary recently, just thought the recent poster had perhaps discovered something outstandingly new!

Let you in on a secret- on a quadcopter propellers are always in pairs. That’s the only way they can be.

Where are you copying this I from and why?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl