How do YOU fly?

I've noticed the same on mine BarryM. But of course the video does "kinda" pause, "sorta"? Main thing I notice when taking a snapshot while video is recording is that though I have both set to RAW format, the stills taken when video is happening are in JPG format......(Which I consider way less than desireable)
Actually you can take both with the P4Pro.....
Those are just still frames taken from the video, not actual still photos taken at full resolution. Big difference, and, besides, you can extract the best still frames from the video afterwards. No need to try and do it while filming!

Reactions: ob1kanokie
Those are just still frames taken from the video, not actual still photos taken at full resolution. Big difference, and, besides, you can extract the best still frames from the video afterwards. No need to try and do it while filming!
I suspected that Guy. Just wasn't positive. I know that they sure weren't the quality of those I take in RAW and that explains a lot. Thanks.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Ok..I agree with you on that...I was just pointing out that video can be recording at the same time a still pic was taken..Cheers!

Note to self-------------->>>>> Unwatch Thread.

Ok..I agree with you on that...I was just pointing out that video can be recording at the same time a still pic was taken..Cheers!
Yes, but it is more of a gimmick than a reality. Most will be disappointed with the still image taken this way. Better to stop the video, and take a full blown DNG image, and then resume the video.

I have never actually even considered using my index fingers. I need my left one for gimbal control. If I need precision I use tripod mode - most applications this works amazingly well, but if you are too far away from your subject it is a little too slow.

Yes, but it is more of a gimmick than a reality. Most will be disappointed with the still image taken this way. Better to stop the video, and take a full blown DNG image, and then resume the video.
I guess it comes down to personal preference and your particular application. I would rather take the pic and be done rather than import vid to editing software and painstakingly go through frames to find a pic. For my needs (construction monitoring) I take pics while taking VID all the time. I believe you are mistaken about the still frame from the vid. I record an orbit and take pics along the way for higher res pics which are better to zoom in on if needed.

I guess it comes down to personal preference and your particular application. I would rather take the pic and be done rather than import vid to editing software and painstakingly go through frames to find a pic. For my needs (construction monitoring) I take pics while taking VID all the time. I believe you are mistaken about the still frame from the vid. I record an orbit and take pics along the way for higher res pics which are better to zoom in on if needed.
No camera can shoot DNG stills and 4K 60fps video at the same time using the same sensor. Those are mutually exclusive activities. Any stills taken while shooting video must necessarily be still frames taken from the live video using the same sensor. Any "zooming" you are doing into the still frames shot during video is a digital zoom that you can also do with the video, unless you are outputting 1080p from 4K, which is merely a crop of the 4K frame. Basically, what you are saying is that a still frame extract from your 4K video is good enough. For most purposes, I agree. If you are not going to edit your video, then the still frame extraction in flight is also good enough. However, when the drone is in motion, I usually find that a different frame with better composition will be often found among the other 59 frames in the half second around the "on the fly" still frame YMMV. :cool:

No camera can shoot DNG stills and 4K 60fps video at the same time using the same sensor. Those are mutually exclusive activities. Any stills taken while shooting video must necessarily be still frames taken from the live video using the same sensor. Any "zooming" you are doing into the still frames shot during video is a digital zoom that you can also do with the video, unless you are outputting 1080p from 4K, which is merely a crop of the 4K frame. Basically, what you are saying is that a still frame extract from your 4K video is good enough. For most purposes, I agree. If you are not going to edit your video, then the still frame extraction in flight is also good enough. However, when the drone is in motion, I usually find that a different frame with better composition will be often found among the other 59 frames in the half second around the "on the fly" still frame YMMV. :cool:
Are you POSITIVE about this? Because I typically shoot in 1080 (pretty much never 4k) and still the "photos" look really good. I thought I read somewhere that the mechanical shutter allows this which is why the Mavic does not have this feature... I am no digital photographer pro, just trying to get to the bottom of this. Also, what is YMMV?
Thanks

Are you POSITIVE about this? Because I typically shoot in 1080 (pretty much never 4k) and still the "photos" look really good. I thought I read somewhere that the mechanical shutter allows this which is why the Mavic does not have this feature... I am no digital photographer pro, just trying to get to the bottom of this. Also, what is YMMV?
Thanks
Your standards for the photos "look really good" are subjective, and will depend upon what you do with them. If you are only viewing them on a 1080p monitor, they will look pretty good. However, if you intend to print them larger than a 4x6 print, there isn't enough detail, and the printed image will fall apart.

Phantom 4 Pro uses a Mechanical shutter when taking stills, if you enable it in Go app, and using the mechanical shutter can reduce a rolling shutter effect in a still image, resulting from camera movement (flying drone) during the exposure. The electronic shutter is always used for video. You can't use both at the same time.

Here you can read more about the differences Electronic VS mechanical shutter | JuzaPhoto

Here's a thread about it: Mechanical/Rolling Shutter Tests

Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV). :cool:

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy
With the P4P you certainly CAN take photos while also shooting video. That was a major advantage for me when I upgraded from the P3S.

Wasn't there just a long discussion on this?

In either case, I pointed out that this was not what I meant. I meant flying and taking video or photos can be done at the same time if you use your thumbs to fly and not two fingers.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Agreed. When it comes to complex, compound moves, committing two digits per joystick is a bad idea. Thumbs only.
Must be the same guys who insist upon drawing with a pressure sensitive pen on a Wacum tablet, rather than using a plain old mouse in Photoshop! Drawing with a bar of soap works just fine! :p Thumbs only for me, too! :cool:

Thumbs for me too. Pinching never felt natural to me and I'm always on the gimbal at the same time anyway. And my middle finger is only smart enough for C1 button duties and not the gimbal. :p:)

I don't think you can say one way is better than the other way though. It is operator dependent in each case.

Pinching also assumes you have some other means of supporting the RC, because there isn't enough wraparound underneath on the RC with the remaining fingers to properly support it. DJI has also conributed to the use of thumbs only, by requiring frequent touch screen only interaction to acknowledge and remove warnings, requiring a much better grip with the other hand. It's also far more natural to control the gimbal and exposure with the index fingers, while using the middle fingers for primary support underneath, with easy access to the C1 and C2 buttons. Pinching comes from the days before gimbal and exposure control existed on the RC.

I found that decreasing stick sensitivity in settings greatly helps at low speeds which is normal for capturing good video.
It's easier to maintain constant movement while also adjusting 2-3 other motions simultainiously to get that cinematic effect.
And taking full advantage of autonomous modes greatly increases quality.
But to answer your original question, I personally use thumbs for sticks, which leaves the index fingers for other functions, and middle fingers for C1 and C2 buttons underneath.
But, in the end, it's all up to the individual user.

I found that decreasing stick sensitivity in settings greatly helps at low speeds which is normal for capturing good video.
It's easier to maintain constant movement while also adjusting 2-3 other motions simultainiously to get that cinematic effect.
And taking full advantage of autonomous modes greatly increases quality.
But to answer your original question, I personally use thumbs for sticks, which leaves the index fingers for other functions, and middle fingers for C1 and C2 buttons underneath.
But, in the end, it's all up to the individual user.
It really is no longer up to the user. DJI has made it quite impossible to safely pilot their current aircraft with pinching of the sticks. Too many onscreen warnings and messages that must be acknowledged, requiring touching the screen, and each new version of GO 4 requires yet more screen interaction.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl