How do we deal with Cold?

Reaction score
I know there's a battery warmer you can buy, but it takes juice from the battery, so you're not taking off with 100%

How do other deal with really cold temps?

The last few days have been clear, but too cold to take off without the 'cold battery' warning from the DJI Go app. It takes off, but if you push it while monitoring the batteries in the app, you can see cells drop into the red zone.

I thought about carrying a few inside my jacket next to my body, but bailed on the flight due to freezing fingertips (I had gloves, but they were thin). Is that the ticket?

If you pre-warm them, can they still drop into the Danger Zone* after take off?

Thanks,
Chris

CallKennyLoggins.jpg

I recently flew in 24f weather, 25mph gusts. Warmed batt's to 75/80f in car... flew just fine. I couldn't feel my fingers, but Phantom sang well. (I fly Litchi)

I recently flew in 24f weather, 25mph gusts. Warmed batt's to 75/80f in car... flew just fine. I couldn't feel my fingers, but Phantom sang well. (I fly Litchi)

That's an awesome video!!! I flew in 30 degree temps last week with no problem either. Was out over an hour (went through 3 batteries). But again that video is bad ***. Might be the best I've ever seen

Samsung S7 Edge

Laugh.. Thanks, The hardest part was getting the drum set positioned in the middle of the street and the singer girl to sing without whining about the snow chips getting in her mouth. The Phantom just kept circling above, squinting it's eyes at it all...

Correction.... Phantom blew it...... I am a innocent bystander just minding my own buisness....

2.7k, 24fps, contrast: cloudy all other default. Fingers: cold mutha'

Does the Phantom teeth it, bite it, or bark at it?

I do a run across the bushline most evenings here looking for coyotes. The coldest has been -19C (-2F). I'm only up 15 minutes at most but the battery reserves and temps seem good while flying.

Great video of the town at night -I'm intrigued and going to recon our little main street tomorrow for an evening run.

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Nicely done. I think I saw an intruder upstairs ramsacking the house while everyone was outside watching you fly.

Dji has an actual battery warmer. I don't remember the price but it came out last winter. I can tell you the temp to shoot for is 100f (38c)degrees. The warmer I mentioned above I believe is preset to that temp as well. The two images I uploaded are just about as good as it gets for what you want when flying below freezing temps.

BESURE to keep in mind what setup you fly with as far as using either a smartphone or tablet. Pay attention to the clear view if you are trying to keep your device covered. The GLOVE below looks like it would work well with a Mavic controller setup. The one I use is like the one below as well and I use mine with my tablet sticking out and not covered. I have to pull one hand out to do any selecting on the tablet screen, which btw becomes more difficult as the screen gets colder it does not respond as well.

Hopefully this will help some of you out to at least have a better time flying in the cold....

TRANSMITTER GLOVE
transglove.jpg

BATTERY HEATER
batteryheater.jpg

how do you film showing the heads up display of the dji-go app??? I'm just starting to do/post vids. thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor