Hover Stability for Long Exposures P4P

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on how to get the P4P to hover much more stable in very slight winds (2 to 5 mph) to take long exposure photographs? My P3, P3A and P4 had no issues with 3 to 6 second exposures in slight winds. I've been struggling greatly with my P4P to get any usable night photos over 2 second exposures, even when the wind is completely still. In testing, I noticed even when hovering at 8' or so off the ground, my P4P will move 1' to 2' most of the time. Any help on what to do to make the hover more steady would be greatly appreciated.

I will add that I have calibrated IMU and changed props multiple times. However, I do not own a prop balancer...

thanks,
Steen

I noticed even when hovering at 8' or so off the ground, my P4P will move 1' to 2' most of the time. Any help on what to do to make the hover more steady would be greatly appreciated.
How does it go higher up?
Eight feet above the ground is well within VPS range and if you are hovering over a surface with an indistinct pattern (like grass or concrete) the VPS will not be able to "lock on" to it and you'll observe some wandering.

How does it go higher up?
Eight feet above the ground is well within VPS range and if you are hovering over a surface with an indistinct pattern (like grass or concrete) the VPS will not be able to "lock on" to it and you'll observe some wandering.
I'm assuming that it moves similarly when up the in air. In quite a few exposures, I have the long line blurs as if I moved the camera in mid exposure. If not those, then the exposures are just blurry. I can get up to 2 seconds generally ok, just nothing beyond that.

I'm assuming that it moves similarly when up the in air. In quite a few exposures, I have the long line blurs as if I moved the camera in mid exposure. If not those, then the exposures are just blurry. I can get up to 2 seconds generally ok, just nothing beyond that.
Assuming isn't always the best way to solve problems.
While your Phantom is below 30 ft, VPS will try to assist with stability but if the ground surface isn't good, you wil get wandering.
Above 30 ft where you're probably photographing, VPS won't be active and stability is facilitated by the IMU gyros.
Show us one of the images and perhaps someone can chime in with helpful comments.

I never followed up to post some photos, but I thought I would post a follow up on the resolution of my gimbal issue. As I mentioned, I had issues with long exposures and stability from the outset with my P4P. While troubleshooting on my own, the gimbal just didn't seem right so I contacted DJI customer care (cringe). Turns out, I was right. I sent my P4P back and they agreed immediately. They said it had an "Internal Module Failure" that was present from the factory. Unfortunately, I'm getting a refurb unit sent back to me that I haven't received yet. Kudos to DJI though, the entire process on my 4 month old drone didn't cost me a single penny!!! On the positive side, since I was without a drone for 3 weeks now, I broke down and purchased a Mavic Pro. While the camera isn't even close to the P4P, the portability and drone performance is incredible. And, I love being able to take 5 plus second exposures again!!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl