Homemade mod for P3

Reaction score
We should start a thread here with all the home made mod one can make with the lack of parts availability for the P3 now, like from dataway

http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...-weight-updated-with-comparison-photos.42196/

I was doing a lot of crash testing very close to buildings, see my post

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/ultrasonic-sensor-error.40601/page-6#post-377088

so I fabricated a gimble protector with a few length of .0625 stainless mig welding wire in about 5 mintues. I have not done effect on long range signal test on the CAGE yet, but it stays on perfectly and it will not even budge with a 10 lb weight on it. It should not affect range since it is on the bottom and inside of the sensors.
The natural arch fit the turning arc of the gimble perfectly so there is no interference whatsoever.
I use 4 arches for maximum protection with a total weight of 16g but you can get away with 3 or even 2 to cut down to 8 grams. It also gives the landing antenna a lot more rigidity.
bottom view.jpg
front view.jpg

It's metal. I wonder if it interferes with signal and/or compass calibration of the phantom. You don't calibrate near metal objects because it will throw off the compass off. With the airflow, there could be magnitization of the metal through static electricity which would affect compass. Keep trying.

That's pretty ingenious. I'm wondering how that would hold up if you crash on top of something solid.

UAV-BITS makes a lightweight carbon fiber option. Yes, yes... I know it's not as much fun though :)

Last edited:
So far, the bird is rock stable with no effect. The wire is stainless and is not ferrous metal.
There is no effect so far on compass calibration. Whether it will affect the range, I will have to try out with and without it on. My testing and flying for this bird is mostly for very closeup inspection of building and range is not a factor in this case.
I just want to protect the gimbel when I am doing the crash test. I am now able to duplicate VPS error 100% of the time under very control conditions and this cage protected the bird twice when I was "SUCCESSFUL" in flipping the bird.

I think the cage give you a much better protection from all sides since I KNOW I am going to crash into bushes and branches below during my tests.
Since All the weight is transfer to the body and does not rely on the landing gear's strength, it is a lot more solid. I put a 10 lb weight on it and it will not even move.
Whether it will affect range, I do not know. I will do a A/B test when I have more time.
So far I have flown over 1200M with the cage on with no reduction of signals. This is under city conditions.

FYI, I always put the camera facing forward with lens cap on when I do the test.
So far, no damage whatsoever from 1 to 3 feet off the ground.
If I can take off the camera like my old P2, it will save all these problems.
I will cut the wire and move the WEB forward if and when I have more time.
Attached side view and backview of the cage.
back view.jpg
back view.jpg
side view.jpg

There is no magnetism on it whatsoever, even with a rare earth magnet on it.
There is 1000X more ferrous metal on the gimbel motors themselves when I tested it. ( All the gimbel motors has to be ferrous for it to work obviously )
The cage protect the Yaw assembly much better this way too.
So far, I crash it twice, no calibration is off, not even a scratch except for a couple of chipped propeller. I ordered and received 12 props for testing (P310 type) and have another 12 coming with my batteries.
Your design was the first thing that I tried with a piece of lexan zip tied to the landing gear. Under extreme hard landing, the landing gear bends in and the camera will make contact with any protrusion on the ground. Also, under extreme tilt angles, the lexan piece actually made contact with the YAW arm assembly unless you put it quite a bit to the back of the bird.

I did move it back because it limited the camera in very high wind. About 1/2 inch back and works pretty good now

The plate design that you and many others have is by far the simplest and will work for the odd minor crash that one may encountered.
I must stress that what I am doing is some what of a special case in that I am trying to duplicate crash conditions since a lot of my flying is in building inspection that involves VPS and roof lines.. That is why I am trying to give my bird as much protection as possible. I guess there is not TOO MUCH protection in flying.

Where did you get this or did you make it, if so how?

I don't want to take up his thread with many posts or details. I made it. 3/16 plexi. I drew it out. Traced it to plexi. Cut it with a fine tooth bandsaw. Polished the edges with 220 then wet sanded at 800 grit until edges were shiny. Removed the plexi cover. Drilled three holes on each side and attached with white zip ties. Flys very well. Very durable. Looks professional and doesn't distract witht the look and feel of the bird. I do not make them for anyone. I just shared so people can use the idea as they see fit. Plexi can be cut precisely with a band saw but with patience, you can use a fine tooth jig saw.

It also holds my Trackimo
8AE5612D-0DEB-4B50-9CEE-FC199BFE7E1F_zpsbc2lrhku.jpg

By the way, it costs me almost nothing since I have a couple of 25 lb spool of this ferrite free .0625 316N welding cables.
It does look ugly for testing purpose. If everything works after range test and all my crash test, I will clean it up by just using 2 wires in a cross and tig weld it together in the middle. Aerodynamically, it is perfect, and it only weights 8g.

Have you tried smoothing the edge of the plexi-glass by flaming ?

By the way, it costs me almost nothing since I have a couple of 25 lb spool of this ferrite free .0625 316N welding cables.
It does look ugly for testing purpose. If everything works after range test and all my crash test, I will clean it up by just using 2 wires in a cross and tig weld it together in the middle. Aerodynamically, it is perfect, and it only weights 8g.

Have you tried smoothing the edge of the plexi-glass by flaming ?

No, never tried that. I do have a hand held torch. I'll try it with some extra I have laying around. mine was left over from making deer blind windows.

How does the gimbal lock fit with those plexiglass guards installed? Just from eying it up from the side, it looks like the lock would potentially no longer fit.

How does the gimbal lock fit with those plexiglass guards installed? Just from eying it up from the side, it looks like the lock would potentially no longer fit.

It just fits. I haven't had a problem putting it on. there's enough room to put it on.

I can't read anymore, you are seriously crash testing a p3 pro? I don't want to know how that ends up for ya. More money than sense.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair