Hijacked p3

Reaction score
I'm totally devastated at watching my p3 fly off when it was landing on Friday. Its not so much the list p3 but the 16gig card full of work,family, photos. Should dji have firmware that superseded the latest hijacking hack that any drone hater can learn off YouTube.dji should be in bed wit YouTube to remove any hack videos like other subjects it does not like.

Reactions: Kejoal11
I'm totally devastated at watching my p3 fly off when it was landing on Friday. Its not so much the list p3 but the 16gig card full of work,family, photos.
That's the first time I've heard of a Phantom being hijacked.
What happened to make you think that's what happened?
Can you give some details.
The recorded flight data from your app should help see what happened.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it shows you.

Reactions: Neon Euc
It has a password error in flight,when the local troll hacker across the road is online I get a high magnetic frequency, he has a satellite dish antenna. There's a hack just out on YouTube fyi

That's the first time I've heard of a Phantom being hijacked.
What happened to make you think that's what happened?
Can you give some details.
The recorded flight data from your app should help see what happened.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it shows you.
I'm no bunny ,u think I'd be posting about a hijacked drone for the fun of it.and yes I will post details from phone when I can as the phone went blank and won't start,can I plug in my new phone to my controller to retrieve info logging in to dji go on Mrs phone did not work to see flight record

I'm no bunny ,u think I'd be posting about a hijacked drone for the fun of it.
Since it's the first time I've heard anyone report a Phantom being hijacked, I'd be very interested to learn as much about it as possible.
can I plug in my new phone to my controller to retrieve info logging in to dji go on Mrs phone did not work to see flight record
That won't help much because the data is recorded by the app on the phone or tablet you used.
Nothing records to the controller.

Since it's the first time I've heard anyone report a Phantom being hijacked, I'd be very interested to learn as much about it as possible.

That won't help much because the data is recorded by the app on the phone or tablet you used.
Nothing records to the controller.

I can't find any recent reports, articles or videos about hijacking DJI equipment, other than the commercial and military counter-UAS technology. Anyone else heard anything about this?

Well not directed to pc. But it is what he thinks. Hard to take that out of his mind. Yes it can be landing and still fly away without s hi jack. They would have to be mighty fast to do it and find the exact frequency your bird is on. To your controller. Which in theory is not enough battery life to highjack a bird. Anyway. Sorry for your lost. Good luck. As stated above. Info is on device you used. Not controller. You did lose a lot from the sad card. But 16 gigs does not hold too much.

I'm no bunny ,u think I'd be posting about a hijacked drone for the fun of it.and yes I will post details from phone when I can as the phone went blank and won't start,can I plug in my new phone to my controller to retrieve info logging in to dji go on Mrs phone did not work to see flight record
How about a link to the Y/T Drone Hijack video you are referring to ??
BTW... why would you put personal info on your Drone SD Card ??
Why not have a dedicated SD Card just for the Drone?? They are not
that expensive anymore.

I'm totally devastated at watching my p3 fly off when it was landing on Friday. Its not so much the list p3 but the 16gig card full of work,family, photos. Should dji have firmware that superseded the latest hijacking hack that any drone hater can learn off YouTube.dji should be in bed wit YouTube to remove any hack videos like other subjects it does not like.
Jammers only force the drone RTH or land. Your drone flew away during landing, hence it rules out jammer or hacking. I believe mostly your gyro or/and compass played a role. Did you have a hard landing before the fly away?

Sure is odd how long it’s taking for the first person to ever experience his p3 being “hijacked” to provide the evidence he can easily upload.

Well, the OP said above his "phone went blank". So, we're probably never going to see anything to substantiate the claim of hijacking. Too bad, if it's true it would be very interesting to debug how exactly it happened since it's a pretty new and rare type of event. More than likely, however, it was a failure of something much more mundane like pilot error, mis-programmed RTH, compass, gyro, or perhaps even when the phone fried, as suggested above by others.

The OP hasn't been back since he reported this.
I very much doubt his Phantom was hijacked and I have a feeling the OP isn't going to be posting any further information.

The OP hasn't been back since he reported this.
I very much doubt his Phantom was hijacked and I have a feeling the OP isn't going to be posting any further information.
I will PM you some links from my browser bookmarks when back home- probably irresponsible to post search terms here. One details the methods and hardware (including code) for a proof of concept where a phantom 3 standard was hijacked in flight and controlled by the attacker. There are other articles explaining how drone, car and other GPS can be spoofed with fake position data within a 600m range of the transmitter. As terrifying and irresponsible as it is seemingly these threats are real and possible. Most of the control methods involve an initial scan with a packet sniffer to obtain certain unique information from packet headers that ultimately allow the attached to masquerade as the controlling device.

There are other articles explaining how drone, car and other GPS can be spoofed with fake position data within a 600m range of the transmitter.
Well, pulling off such a stunt requires quite sophisticated software and hardware. However 600m is highly doubtful. It should be way way closer than that. I really doubt a backyard hacker was able to replicate such device and software. Such level hacker would probably make tons of money with his skills somewhere not trying to steal someones obsolete P3 drone. The thing you have to understand is that this hardware/software combo should basically broadcast multiple satellites to have full control of the GPS coordinates. Over broadcasting just one satellite's signal wouldn't likely even work, or it might introduce only a slight position error.

Most of the control methods involve an initial scan with a packet sniffer to obtain certain unique information from packet headers that ultimately allow the attached to masquerade as the controlling device.
Well - this seems more feasible than the GPS-hack above. However bear in mind that the attacker in that case would need to possess a "remote" with higher output power than yours. Yet if two TX at the same time drone would highly likely auto-select different channel due to noise. And if your RC follows the channel change it's under your control again. If both auto-follow they'd start clashing again. I don't see how either of those controlling devices could maintain a stable connection for long enough to actually guide the drone to a desired destination.

And I still think that building any of these 2 different solutions for sake of hijacking a freaking P3 drone - doesn't make sense, given all the effort it would actually need.
I just don't buy it.

Well, pulling off such a stunt requires quite sophisticated software and hardware. However 600m is highly doubtful. It should be way way closer than that. I really doubt a backyard hacker was able to replicate such device and software. Such level hacker would probably make tons of money with his skills somewhere not trying to steal someones obsolete P3 drone. The thing you have to understand is that this hardware/software combo should basically broadcast multiple satellites to have full control of the GPS coordinates. Over broadcasting just one satellite's signal wouldn't likely even work, or it might introduce only a slight position error.

Well - this seems more feasible than the GPS-hack above. However bear in mind that the attacker in that case would need to possess a "remote" with higher output power than yours. Yet if two TX at the same time drone would highly likely auto-select different channel due to noise. And if your RC follows the channel change it's under your control again. If both auto-follow they'd start clashing again. I don't see how either of those controlling devices could maintain a stable connection for long enough to actually guide the drone to a desired destination.

And I still think that building any of these 2 different solutions for sake of hijacking a freaking P3 drone - doesn't make sense, given all the effort it would actually need.
I just don't buy it.
I’m not trying to convince you of anything, that is Its not important to me if you buy it or not- do your own research- you might be surprised what you find.

Or check this out if your interested https://media.defcon.org/DEF CON 24...ttack-Vectors-And-Countermeasures-UPDATED.pdf

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.