Hi all, new pilot here that needs help with beginner drone photography - Video compilation

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought the phantom 3 standard and have been taking it out on a few flights in my local area. I am comfortable flying and can handle most average conditions really well, but I am not too sure on how to improve my video techniques.

I have made a compilation of my most recent flight through the DJI Go app, and I think I got some pretty nice shots. I was flying in a local town call Newtownards, which is in Northern Ireland and it's situated at the top of Strangford Lough so there really is some great scenery to admire.

. I really don't have any ideas or preconceptions about how to improve my videos so any help/criticism you can offer would be greatly appreciated! :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi all,

I recently bought the phantom 3 standard and have been taking it out on a few flights in my local area. I am comfortable flying and can handle most average conditions really well, but I am not too sure on how to improve my video techniques.

I have made a compilation of my most recent flight through the DJI Go app, and I think I got some pretty nice shots. I was flying in a local town call Newtownards, which is in Northern Ireland and it's situated at the top of Strangford Lough so there really is some great scenery to admire.

. I really don't have any ideas or preconceptions about how to improve my videos so any help/criticism you can offer would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hey there,

Welcome to the P3S club!

You've got a good start on the video that you've made. From the video, I noticed that your movement in your shots was sometimes "hesitant" and a bit rough. For example, in the third opening the panning is a bit erratic. Try trimming down the videos to parts that contain smooth movement.

Feel free to upload a revised version for review!

Happy flying

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and the advice, it makes a lot of sense and I will take it on board thank you :)

I threw together a shorter clip there, and tried to follow what you said. I'll leave the link here if you wanna check it out and let me know what you think.

Thanks

Hi all,

Not a comment about your video technique, but...
The first shot appears to be of an aircraft landing at a nearby airport. If that's the case, I would advise brushing up on the Part 107 rules regarding airspace in general and flying within 5 miles of ANY airport (not a good idea, and illegal without having taken certain steps ahead of time).

Hi all,

Hi,
Some nice footage there mate.
If you want to make your film more interesting to watch, cut the length of the clips to a maximum of 6 seconds. We apparently get “bored” with a still image after 3 seconds.
Try mixing wide shots with closer footage. Fly towards t(e subject and away. Some look great when you pan out.
Best thing I can advise is to watch the TV and films and look at the length of time they spend on one particular camera angle.
You’ve got some interesting subject matter there [emoji6]

Thankfully there are now strict laws like that where I am from, however I am fully aware of, and appreciate what you are saying :)

In my full footage you can dee where the drone is located above 15m off the ground in a corner of a playing field, approx. half a mile facing perpendicular to the runway, to ensure there would be no interference :) It's also a small airfield that mainly launches propeller aircraft, not a full sized airport. I have lived in the area my whole life so I am familiar with how the airfield operates :)

Reactions: iflyp3s
Hi,
Some nice footage there mate.
If you want to make your film more interesting to watch, cut the length of the clips to a maximum of 6 seconds. We apparently get “bored” with a still image after 3 seconds.
Try mixing wide shots with closer footage. Fly towards t(e subject and away. Some look great when you pan out.
Best thing I can advise is to watch the TV and films and look at the length of time they spend on one particular camera angle.
You’ve got some interesting subject matter there [emoji6]

Thanks for the tips and the complements, its very much appreciated. I'll have to try adding more movement too my shots, I think moving towards/away from the subject is a good start as you day!

Gonna take the P3 out again tomorrow so I will definitely give your suggestions a try :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic