Hero 3 stops recording/locks up

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the quad world, and have the Phantom 2 in Naza-M mode with H3-3D gimbal, GoPro Hero 3, Storm All-in-One Deluxe, and the iOSD Mini, and noticed the gimbal gets incredibly hot after a few moments of operation. As a result, the GoPro will stop recording and eventually will shut off/lock up (which I imagine is due to some heat protection in the battery but I'm not sure).

I noticed that this problem started after installing the Storm All-in-One FPV system. Even though recording stopped (after approx. 30 seconds or so), I was able to view my first two successive flights on the FPV monitor. After removing the Hero 3 from the gimbal, I noticed that the red light was on in the back and the camera would not respond to any of the buttons.

I've flown the P2 numerous times before installing the FPV system and iOSD Mini, and was able to record all flights without issue. Has anyone else experienced this type of issue? If so, any insight as to what I should start checking would be greatly appreciated.

The Gopro is know to lock up once and a while, this isn't something that's limited to the Phantoms, I've had mine lock up when using it on the Phantom and when not. There's not much you can do about it except to pull the battery on the Gopro to reset it and start over again. I've got to the point to where I no longer use the bracket to secure the Gopro to the gimbal, I use a hair tie instead, that way it's much easier to pull the camera should I need to reset it.

A couple of things you can do that might help.

First make sure you have the latest firmware in the GoPro.
Second is to reformat the card in the GoPro.

Tom

madsonp and tom3holer - Thanks for the information. It would be unfortunate if I have to pull the GoPro battery constantly to keep in a workable state. I have updated the firmware to the latest available, reformatted the microSD card, and run a test on the kitchen table; it ran for 21:25 before shutting off - but it didn't lock up (!). The H3-3D gimbal was hot to the touch as before, but perhaps the firmware update helped prevent camera lockup. I will have to play with it some more to get consistent performance, but it seems like the extra steps shouldn't be necessary.

I'll recheck my wiring/soldering to see if the iOSD Mini, Boscam TS-352 vtx, and P2 are in fact connected as they should be, and hopefully it will be something relatively simple that I can fix on my own. If not, it may be time to enlist the aid of professionals to get/keep the FPV setup working with the GoPro as it should.

It might have been on the 60 Minutes TV show (US version) that they had interviewed the founder of GoPro. The founder acknowledged some software (firmware) problems with the Hero 3, which they attempted to resolve with subsequent firmware updates.

I know because I had one of the early production Hero 3 cameras with the lockup, random shut-offs, and now and then the wifi would turn on even though I had absolutely not engaged the wifi button.

GoPro replaced my original Hero 3 Black Edition with another, but the image quality was wonky--blown out highlights, over saturated colors. I could do nothing to reset it, and GoPro would not replace it. (I have used GoPro cameras for a number of years, and none behaved like this!)

In a mixed blessing, that wonky Hero 3 BE was stolen, so I bought a new Hero 3+ BE, and it's been pretty good.

I will add also that the manual of the Zemuse gimbal states that it runs hot. DJI FAQ addresses that concern: "This is normal. There is a built-in circuit board which will get hot when it is working." Mine was HOT like yours and I was afraid it was going to cause problems with the GoPro. So I researched it. In the few flights that I had with my set up before I lost it (unrelated to your concerns), I had no problem or any lockups with the camera with the hot gimbal.

My experience with the Hero2 and 3 and 3+ is that lockups are usually related to a memory card. I bought two identical SanDIsk Ultra 32 GB #10 cards - one causes occasional lock ups, the other has never had a problem.

Hope you can get it sorted out.

bmyke said:
I'm pretty new to the quad world, and have the Phantom 2 in Naza-M mode with H3-3D gimbal, GoPro Hero 3, Storm All-in-One Deluxe, and the iOSD Mini, and noticed the gimbal gets incredibly hot after a few moments of operation. As a result, the GoPro will stop recording and eventually will shut off/lock up (which I imagine is due to some heat protection in the battery but I'm not sure).

I noticed that this problem started after installing the Storm All-in-One FPV system. Even though recording stopped (after approx. 30 seconds or so), I was able to view my first two successive flights on the FPV monitor. After removing the Hero 3 from the gimbal, I noticed that the red light was on in the back and the camera would not respond to any of the buttons.

I've flown the P2 numerous times before installing the FPV system and iOSD Mini, and was able to record all flights without issue. Has anyone else experienced this type of issue? If so, any insight as to what I should start checking would be greatly appreciated.

I came across this problem too, and I fixed it.
Many GoPro forums have threads about it and they all miss the point.
My solution doesn't solve 100% of the problem, but I found a way to avoid it.
First of all, to cut the usual BS:
1) It is not the type of card, or it's formatting.(But don't put 20p SD cards in your4K able gopro!)
2) It is not the heat of the connection or the gopro itself.
3) It is not the firmware version as far as I know.
The winner is... :idea:
The wi-fi ! a problem that I have noticed a while ago, but at first it was not really obvious. until I started to do some timelapse, framing through my android and launching the recording. Suddenly the recording was stopping, for no reason. Sometimes quickly, sometimes not. Completely unpredictable. And yes the only way to record again was to remove the battery and put it back. So I started recording my timelapses and P2 videos by hand and since that, NO MORE PROBLEM ! I still use the app on my S3, but only for framing. When the frame is ok, I stop the Wi-fi on the gopro, and stop the app in the phone. I launch the recording manually, and everything is just fine. Always.
Hope it helps!

Another issue about things that run hot are GoPro cameras. The Hero 2 and the Hero 3-series both run hot in short order. The Hero HD--predecessor to the Hero 2--can run hours and get only warm, but it wasn't as sharp optically.

I'd be sending GoPro in for warranty, it's a known issue on the Black 3s & 3+s. I've had two replaced under warranty - it takes two weeks plus.

Thank you all for the great feedback on various things to consider while figuring out this problem. All were very insightful, but I found the memory card posts interesting as this was the first time that I tried using the 2K Wide mode in flight. Checking my card, it seems to be rated at 30mb/s which probably can't handle the higher data rate. l Before I try sending the Hero 3 in for warranty work, I will try using a higher rated card to see if the conditions change.

I went through a phase with GoPro tech support about the problems.

They sent me through a flurry of speculative troubleshooting.

At one point, they suggested that it was my card. My card was the exact same brand and model card that they had recommended on their website. So, with that information, I returned the card to the vendor and got a new card.

RESULT: Same problems. I felt bad for the vendor who had to erroneously take back a non-defective "defective" product.

The pattern that I have seen is that they push products to production without thorough testing, but that's nothing new, particularly in the software industry.

I had lockups also. The recommended cards by GoPro don't always work I have heard. The best card by those that are in the know was reported to be the Lexor 600x. I have that now and have not had a lockup since.

Tom

Just an update... When this issue occurred, I tried recording in 2.7K Wide, but after reducing resolution to 1080p 60 Wide I've not experienced any issues. Still waiting for the new micro SD card to arrive (one of the recommended cards from GoPro), but I'm glad that I can use the FPV system and record until it gets here.

Flying Cephlopod said:
I went through a phase with GoPro tech support about the problems.

They sent me through a flurry of speculative troubleshooting.

At one point, they suggested that it was my card. My card was the exact same brand and model card that they had recommended on their website. So, with that information, I returned the card to the vendor and got a new card.

RESULT: Same problems. I felt bad for the vendor who had to erroneously take back a non-defective "defective" product.

The pattern that I have seen is that they push products to production without thorough testing, but that's nothing new, particularly in the software industry.

I would have just purchased another memory chip and tested to see if it was the chip before mailing back the memory chip for a new one.

I'm surprised that know one jumped on the fact that you said the problem started after installing the Storm FPV. Why don't you test the GoPro with the TX & isod disconnected (both power & data). I've been troubleshooting computers for over 40 years and one of the basic troubleshooting practices is to undo any changes made just prior to a new problem occurring. All the other input is where I would go after this if it doesn't change anything. It is true that the GoPro will occasional stop recording.

Previously I've used the GoPro in 1080p 60 Wide without issues. The day I observed the problem was the first time that I tried 2.7K since purchasing the GoPro; it was just on a whim prior to flight after seeing some videos online. I changed the mode just before take-off; until that time the thought never occurred test out different modes as I haven't experienced any other issues using the camera. Afterwards, I noticed running the GoPro at home in 2.7K mode would cause it to heat up and stop recording/lock up, whereas lower modes had no problems.

I've flown several more times since (just yesterday in fact), and the gimbal was barely warm and the GoPro recorded in 1080p 60p Wide for a total of 29 minutes over two flights.

I noticed that if I take the card out of the Go Pro and put it in the card reader to pull the footage off, when I try and use it again in the Go Pro, 9 times out of 10 it will lock up and stop recording. If I format the card in the Go Pro, it will record for hours non-stop.

Bluegrass said:
I'm surprised that know one jumped on the fact that you said the problem started after installing the Storm FPV. Why don't you test the GoPro with the TX & isod disconnected (both power & data). I've been troubleshooting computers for over 40 years and one of the basic troubleshooting practices is to undo any changes made just prior to a new problem occurring. All the other input is where I would go after this if it doesn't change anything. It is true that the GoPro will occasional stop recording.

This! ^^^. Then make sure that the wifi is OFF on the GoPro, and your smartphone App if you have one!
This is not a guess, this is a fix. Fact. Try it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl