HELP with Sunhans 2W WiFi booster amp on P2V with RE-700

I have a re500 phantom vision. Originally getting about 600 ft video then added external antenna and get about 1200ft. When I try the sunhans amp I loose the connection. I think I am overdriving the amp.

are you positive that the sunhans amp you have is a 2.4ghz? and not a 5.8ghz?

have you tried switching which antenna on the extender that you have the external antennas plugged in to?

When I first moded my range extender I dint get any jump in range at first. useing just a 6dbi antenna. It was as if nothing changed at all.

But It turns out I was hooked to the wrong antenna jack inside. So I was just increasing the range from the extender to my phone thats only a few inches away and wasn't hooked to the receiving antenna that the camera sends to.. But Once I moved it over to the other connector inside the booster my range went a lot further then before.

I got the 5.8Ghz LHCP helical antenna from Taobao. That thing is so bad I had to take it off and replace it with TP-Link omdirection 6db antenna. Not sure if the 5.8Ghz 2W Sunhan is doing anything either.

is that 5.6 set up you are talking about on the control side of things and not the video 2.4ghz side of your set up?

I have not played around with any helicals yet but from what I understand about them is they can boost range but are very directional and you have to stay pointed right at the phantom for them to have long range.

So far the best flight range I have had has been with a cheapo $8 flat 5.8ghz directional antenna on the controller. That got me out to around 1.3 miles and I could of gotten farther if I didnt forget to go in the naza assistant and change my max limit of 2000m I was out at 2200m in atti mode but because I could not see it very well at that point I switched to gps and it backed right to the 2000m mark and just would not go any further. I also have to keep that antenna pointed pretty much right at the phantom to not lose my connection and have it go in to fail safe and start trying to come home.

The 2.4Ghz Sunhan 2.5w amplifier I got from Taobao says 2w on the box and instruction manual but the seller assure me it is 2.5w. Anyway with the clover leaf antenna and sunhan I couldn't see any improvement over the stock extender. My current max range is still less than 300m.

That sounds and looks like a heck of a lot of extra gear to have for no improvement.
Id try just using a 6dbi ommi directional on both the controller and your range extender.

So far thats been my best set up with balancing range but not being to directional. with about .6-.9 miles flight range and about 3500-3800 feet video range most of the time. Tho I have a few times gotten 4800 feet video but had to fly real high and was out in open county with out much to block me.

My flat panel antennas will give me more range but they get real hard to keep pointed right at the phantom to keep a connection so I went back to just mostly using the 6dbi ommi's which I dont have to keep directed right at it as much.

P.S. I blew out my 2.5W Sunhans. I just stop working today. I had an antenuator on (also bought from Taobao).

When you say you were hooked to the wrong antenna jack are you referring to the range extender two antenna connections? I have seen posts that say it does not matter which one you connect to. I assumed both antenna connections were for connecting to the phantom. Is this a wrong assumption? If so which goes to which? The attached pic is the inside of my extender pre mod.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421073327.769879.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421073327.769879.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 646
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421073350.550151.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421073350.550151.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 590
Are you using this amp? it requires a 12v/2A power input. I was using a 5v & experienced the same problem. the RE700 20db/100mw output should not effect this amp. I experimented with expensive 6db attenuators, which made no difference. The wrong input power will cause the issue you describe.

Attachments

• 1421077932617-385750249.jpg
    1421077932617-385750249.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 604
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z ... p64jg1478f

I am using this amp. My box looks different from yours but the instruction says the model is SH-2500. And 2000mW on the box and manual. I am 1000% positive it is 2.4Ghz. It says so in the manual too. I am powering it using a 3s Lipo battery.

I cannot try switching the output since the amp seems to be fried eventhough I have an antennuator.

When you say you were hooked to the wrong antenna jack are you referring to the range extender two antenna connections? I have seen posts that say it does not matter which one you connect to. I assumed both antenna connections were for connecting to the phantom. Is this a wrong assumption? If so which goes to which? The attached pic is the inside of my extender pre mod.

of hand I cant remember which one was the one that worked best. I think it was the one that connected in to the spot on the lower right of the pic you attacked.

Ive seen other people in the videos on how to mod them saying they didnt think it mattered which one and others mod both. But there info was obviously not right being they dont use a diversity antenna system were it will try to switch between which ever one if getting the best signal. But changing from one to the other made a huge difference.

Tho the reason why they might think it did not matter is because of them knowing that both antennas send and receive But just not both to the same source. 1 sends and receives to the phone or tablet while the other one sends and revives to the camera. Some of the dual antenna wifi network extenders I have played around with are the same way to. and hooking up to one will not increase the range as good as the other.

If i added a 2w booster between my range extender and external antenna how much more range should I expect?.

Shouldn't it meet my default TX range?

Let's assume you have a nice clean signal with a rock solid mod and a nice clean environment with zero inteference.

Assuming your RE is 100 mw, you're potentially increasing the signal strength 20x. Inverse square law applies. So potentially you could quadruple your range.

I tested my modified range extenders yesterday running just using the amp and the DC jack included.

I was very disappointed, I saw shortened range.

I originally got out to 2500'+ before getting any signal connection errors.
Now I have dropped back to about 1800' while using the amp.(re700 results)

I modified it by adding an external jack.

After adding the amp it seems to cut down more on the range by about another 400' give or take 50'.

I can see the phantom clearly and have my antenna pointed almost right at it.

Is there something I am missing with the antenna orientation?

Range extenders modified are the re700 & re500 with a 5dbi antenna. Same flying area and same conditions ( a little more sun I guess)

Can you tell us more about your "5dbi antenna"?

Here's how to max your FPV range:

Test the stock range, make sure it makes sense.

Replace the 500 with the 700. Test it. Make sure the range you get makes sense.

Mod the 700 with TWO GOOD antennas. Mod it with two. Not one. Two. Test it. Make sure it makes sense.

Mod the camera with two good antennas. Test it. Make sure the range makes sense.

At this point you should have good FPV for more than a mile.

If not, then something is wrong. Either you messed up a mod, or you have wifi interference, or you're not in line of sight, or you're not aiming correctly, or you're using crummy antennas, etc.

If you have more than a mile FPV and you want more range, consider adding an amp.

IMO, there is no point in adding an amp if you can't get a mile out of your FPV without an amp.

My point is, it's much easier to find good range if you move forward one careful and patient step at a time as outlined above. Otherwise you're gonna find yourself scratching your head because you have no idea where the problem lies.

Hope this helps.

The antenna is a 5 dbi wifi antenna. (Not sure on the actual name)
I only have 1 currently on the 500 and 1 jack reserved on the 700.

I have not modified the phantom itself because I was getting full signal when my connection was breaking. I also still had a line of sight. It has never triggered the failsafe on me.

My furthest is 3800' with the 700 before I modified it. That is when I ran into the shortened range issue.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.