Help w/ repairing a broken Phantom 4

Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking for some guidence on repairing/replacing the front left camera on a crashed Phantom 4. This is one of the cameras used for obstactle detection.

When the drone crashed, the main power connector broke off the main circuit board and tore the ribbon cable going to one of the front cameras. I can solder the power connector back to the board however I'm not sure what to do about the torn ribbon cable. This type of replacement ribbon cable is not included with the replacement cable set sold by DJI. Also, there is some white epoxy covering the area where this cable connects to the board making it a bit messier to replace.

Questions:

1. Will I still be able to fly the Phantom 4 even if one of the front obstacle detection cameras is disconnected/not functioning?

2. Do you know where to purchase a replacement camera and ribbon cable?

Attached some images of the damage.

191818y3hjxbdbzhwbefff.jpg

191916u7o6niq6fz7jbbfb.jpg

2. Do you know where to purchase a replacement camera and ribbon cable?
It looks like you have to buy the entire battery cage assembly to get it:

Search for:
DJI Phantom 4 Drone - NEW Forward/Front Obstacle Sensors Module & Battery Cage
on ebay

Ended up replacing the P4 processor board and front obstacle detection camera. All of the damaged pieces have been replaced and everything seems fine however when I power on the phantom I can't seem to get it to connect to the smartphone app (it says "aircraft disconnected"). I verified with another (functional) P4 that the controller/app work fine. Any tips or suggestions on how to debug/troubleshoot this connectivity problem?

Because you replaced the processor board, you have to rebind the RC to the drone. For that you must have a working camera assembly. Is yours OK?

Yep, thanks! Linking the drone to the RC is exactly what was needed. Looks like everything is functional except for the compass. I'm replacing the housing soon and will update here on the status afterwards. Thanks again for the help

My experience with the compass errors is this. If you tried the compass dance to calibrate away from metal and it didn't help, the leg assemblies must be replaced. The good news is they are rather cheap. Even Amazon is reasonable and fast.

I need a processor board that is on the camera board. The snap in plug broke off when replacing land arms.

I was told by a parts company that you have to buy the entire camera. Board is not sold separately.

Could anyone help?

I can use acetone and remove socket. Then take another photo. Ok?
OK, I have that board with a good connector but a bad board.. I have soldered these before and great care must be taken. You may want to take it to an expert. Do a close up of the board. Is the connector completely torn off or just a couple.

OK, I have that board with a good connector but a bad board.. I have soldered these before and great care must be taken. You may want to take it to an expert. Do a close up of the board. Is the connector completely torn off or just a couple.
It completely off . Showing like bare pins on board and also on connector. Would you be interested in repairing?

I can try but can't guarantee it can be done. If it can't I won't charge you. I would check and see if there is a local electronic repair shop

Reactions: jbuy41
I can try but can't guarantee it can be done. If it can't I won't charge you. I would check and see if there is a local electronic repair shop
Thanks. I'll try
Ok, here is the image of socket after I removed glue. Maybe not repairable. Probably the ribbon connector needs replacing.

What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20171006_110238.jpg
    IMG_20171006_110238.jpg
    776.6 KB · Views: 446

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1