HELP picking out a drone

Reaction score
I’m new to this, never even touched a drone and I need some help picking one out. Looking at used phantoms on eBay. My price point is 400 or less. I’d like to be around 2-300 though. I’m not looking to race or do any intricate maneuvers. Just get into the air, fly around, and take photos/video. And maybe try drone fishing like viva frei does (look him up on YouTube)
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I’m new to this, never even touched a drone and I need some help picking one out. Looking at used phantoms on eBay. My price point is 400 or less. I’d like to be around 2-300 though. I’m not looking to race or do any intricate maneuvers. Just get into the air, fly around, and take photos/video. And maybe try drone fishing like viva frei does (look him up on YouTube)
Have you looked into the mavic series

The only fishing you will do with a Mavic Mini will be using it as the lure. It does not have the load capacity to carry bait and tackle.

For fishing, you need a Phantom. If not, go to newer Mavics which can be bought new as low as $400. As with most, better costs more so if plain Jane will do go cheap. Mavic Minis come in cheap, better, best but all take decent pics and vids at reasonable cost. Many, like new but used, available at much less. See @mavicpilots.com. Phantoms under $400 limit you to P3 series all of which will do the job but the Adv and Pro version are much improved over over the Standard. P3 are old enough that most accessories like batteries are aftermarket. P4’s best if you can find a deal.
Good luck choosing

Never flown,,maybe pic up a cheap syma or similar just to get the feel of flight and what they can and cant do,,mini mavic dispite the tests of weight they can carry not suitable for fishing,any weight and the props are screaming, myself has new mini with fishing drop release but there no way I tempted to fly it over water or probably become a ornament for the fish,unlike the phantom they got power to help get out of trouble and fly at easy with some weight under it,,what ever you choose read and learn manual, this will keep you safe and drone in the air,,enjoy you new purchase and share with us what you get,,heaps of flyers here ready to help,,dont be afraid of silly questions,,its how we learn

Reactions: fadetoblack72
what do you think of the mavic 2? Seems to be a nice unit with obstacle sensing. I’m not worried about fishing with it, just video, pics, and flying around.

what do you think of the mavic 2? Seems to be a nice unit with obstacle sensing. I’m not worried about fishing with it, just video, pics, and flying around.
I have the mavic zoom my girl has the pro 2 great drones bought them when they came out with the fly more combo and smart controller good drones if you got the money do your research youtube videos and Google will help you out let us know how it goes and at the bottom of the page is more drone forums lots of good people and good info

you can cheak Dji mini 2 on amazon it also good and ebay too

Phantom 4 would work. Complete package 400.00 shipped conus.

I would look on ebay at the Phantom 3 line up Standard , Advanced and Professional .
Be sure to read the add close and make sure it has the camera as many don't in the price
range your looking for . Also many are listed just for parts . But if you can find one that
is in good shape and all there they are still very useable good quality drones that you could
get years of use from . I still fly my Phantom 1 with my GoPro from time to time and it works
as good as when it was new , but I would try to find one in the Phantom 3 line up for what
you are looking to use it for . Happy hunting but be forewarned it will only be your first drone
I on number 11 now and they all still fly . Another drone you might look at would be a
Parrot BeBop 2 you can find them from time to time for under $200 in good shape but they
are not as nice as a Phantom but a good first drone to see if you want to invest in the real
pro class drones New Mavics and Phantoms or even the Inspires .

Relentless III is a stable unit and has an anti collision module although in the $400 range. Easy to control and good for getting used to
Multi options

If you can buy a ready to fly complete package phantom 4 from Starz for $400, that is absolutely the way to go. He is a guru on this site.

Reactions: cneedelman
Unfortunately at that price point you are looking at toys. check amazon, they have a lot of stuff for that kind of money. With what I have seen on this forum buying someones old drone you get what you pay for ... there is a reason they want to sell it. If you want a toy you fly in your back yard and entertain the kiddies amazon is the place or even Banggood... But if you want a a reliable drone with a decent camera... to DJI or Autel... they have some new drones for around 800 bucks.

Unfortunately at that price point you are looking at toys. check amazon, they have a lot of stuff for that kind of money. With what I have seen on this forum buying someones old drone you get what you pay for ... there is a reason they want to sell it. If you want a toy you fly in your back yard and entertain the kiddies amazon is the place or even Banggood... But if you want a a reliable drone with a decent camera... to DJI or Autel... they have some new drones for around 800 bucks.
A friend of mine did the toy Amazon thing. It flew away in the wind the first time he attempted to fly it.
Silly.

Once you get an idea of what you may like you should check out some of the online camera shops to buy one.
I have bought a couple used from Adorama and B&H. They have a rating of the condition of them like E for excellent, E- means it may be missing something and they'll list what it is.
Sometimes people get drones as gifts or get ones for themselves and hardly ever fly them so they sell them to these camera shops.
I would trust the camera shops more than eBay and I have never had a problem.
Also, go to the manufacturers website and see if they have any refurbished drones.
Those you know will be in great condition.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.