Help, My Drone fell out of the sky, what can i do?

Why would you write a "nasty" Amazon review before you find out if it was pilot error or a DJI problem? That really isn't fair at all.

Bud

I won't go into the gory details, but my P3S literally fell out of the sky yesterday for no reason and got stuck about 60' up in a tree, not in my own yard! I had flown it many times over the past 3 weeks without error. I added the real propeller guards a couple of days ago, and this was my 2nd or 3rd flight with them on. So I am wondering if that caused this to happen, but they were the genuine real ones, not a knock off. Not only did 2 of the guards completely shatter, but one of the propellers it was supposed to protect broke in half.

I had to pay a tree guy $100 to get it down and don't yet know if it is even going to work. Seems like this device has a fatal flaw in it and am very disappointed that this can happen. I've contacted DJI and they sent me a form to fill out and send back with my flight data needed to be uploaded to their site, but they really should be paying for my $100 bill and replacing my propeller guards, but I know that will never happen. What a drain on my already thin wallet. I will be writing a pretty nasty amazon review on my experience.

Nice idea. Can you elaborate on how you attached the shafts to the guards? Are they permanently attached or temporary?

Thanks

Bud

Did you use the String that comes with the Prop Guards ( If that was in the kit ) There has been one post here that the String came off & tangled in a Motor & it also crashed . After reading that , I removed mine & installed Carbon Arrow shafts , cut to fit in between the Guards & I have ran into a lot of branches & a Cement Power Pillar with no damage . Speed will be a factor , I will not take mine off , because of where I fly .View attachment 73809

Why would you write a "nasty" Amazon review before you find out if it was pilot error or a DJI problem? That really isn't fair at all.

Bud

The guy posted once and vanished. :eek:

Rod

Reactions: Matchlock
I never noticed actually, but I don't think I cared a whole lot for him anyway.

His personal set of ethics really has been tarnished for some reason. Oh well, each to his own I guess.

Thanks for the note.

Bud

The guy posted once and vanished. :eek:

Rod

I won't go into the gory details, but my P3S literally fell out of the sky yesterday for no reason and got stuck about 60' up in a tree, not in my own yard! I had flown it many times over the past 3 weeks without error. I added the real propeller guards a couple of days ago, and this was my 2nd or 3rd flight with them on. So I am wondering if that caused this to happen, but they were the genuine real ones, not a knock off. Not only did 2 of the guards completely shatter, but one of the propellers it was supposed to protect broke in half.

I had to pay a tree guy $100 to get it down and don't yet know if it is even going to work. Seems like this device has a fatal flaw in it and am very disappointed that this can happen. I've contacted DJI and they sent me a form to fill out and send back with my flight data needed to be uploaded to their site, but they really should be paying for my $100 bill and replacing my propeller guards, but I know that will never happen. What a drain on my already thin wallet. I will be writing a pretty nasty amazon review on my experience.

Hi, for some say their perfect phantoms don't fall out of the sky live in a dream world. Drones of all kinds fall out the sky. Why put the boots into a guy that has posted an issue. This happens in to many forums. I for one am disappointed in this forum just by what I read.

Hi, for some say their perfect phantoms don't fall out of the sky live in a dream world. Drones of all kinds fall out the sky. Why put the boots into a guy that has posted an issue. This happens in to many forums. I for one am disappointed in this forum just by what I read.

Maybe if you post the flight log, you might get some assistance :)

My disappointment lies when people blame their equipment when it probably pretty obvious this was pilot error due to being a novice with his Phantom. When your on these forms for a while you will come to realize that probably 90% percent of people that blame their equipment turns out to actually be a mistake that they made, and maybe half of those don't realized it when the event occurred. And the other half do realize it was their mistake and are just trying to put blame elsewhere.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
My disappointment lies when people blame their equipment when it probably pretty obvious this was pilot error due to being a novice with his Phantom. When your on these forms for a while you will come to realize that probably 90% percent of people that blame their equipment turns out to actually be a mistake that they made, and maybe half of those don't realized it when the event occurred. And the other half do realize it was their mistake and are just trying to put blame elsewhere.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Hi William, I agree. I had a cx20 go ballistic and eventually fall out of the sky in a wheat field , ever try to find a drone in a wheat field which was harvested two days later. I believe lack of GPS reception may have been at fault. I also have a p 2 that I was flying that suddenly refused to listen and and crashed. Why I have no idea. Ask me to send you a flight log. Wouldn't know what you are talking about. With the cx20 I flew it on manual ok but when I turn on auto it started out OK then kerbam. My first drone was a zero x. That thing is bullet proof . Only manual fly, crashed(learner pilot) so many times, hates wind but it has never let me down. I would like to know why things happen be it pilot error, set up error or whatever. I got a racer to check out, kept throwing props. I found three clock wise motors and a 1 anti clock had been installed. They were all turning the right way. Used a lockson nut on one of the clockwise and never had an issue since. He is chasing up another anti clock wise motor. Why won't my F550 transmitter recognise the receiver. It used to, the support app hasn't helped because it bears no resemblance to what comes on my transmitter( devo 8 s) screen. I will get it sorted one day.

Is there a 99% chance that the OP did something wrong and just does not want to admit it? Probably. But there is that 1% of crashes that I am part of where your phantom falls without any warning or any way to avoid it. My standard fell into a tree and was left with a motor functioning very oddly when i got it down. Sent it to DJI and they confirmed an ESC failed in fight and there was no possible way for me to avoid it. Fixed it for completely free.
That's a rare case though and i am betting on more the OP knows what he did wrong and doesn't want to hear it again from here.

Drones don't just fall out of the sky!! :)
They also can disappear you fly in the bermuda triangle, then re appear over rosswell 50 years ago.

But we should answer his question. NO, prop guards will not cause drone to crash. branch goes through hole in guard, it will support branch while prop comes around, and two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.
and NO they do not replace your tree bucket service, they pay postage, so if you can get shipping label on the drone in tree, postman's problem maybe.

Mine absorbed a 25mph landing from 45 feet up a tree, no broken props, some scratches on one, so I replaced all 4.
At least that is what the phone data said it did in the 0 sec flight.
I went with removable, figure popping off would remove energy from being transferred down to the arms of drone.

Hi William, I agree. I had a cx20 go ballistic and eventually fall out of the sky in a wheat field , ever try to find a drone in a wheat field which was harvested two days later. I believe lack of GPS reception may have been at fault. I also have a p 2 that I was flying that suddenly refused to listen and and crashed. Why I have no idea. Ask me to send you a flight log. Wouldn't know what you are talking about. With the cx20 I flew it on manual ok but when I turn on auto it started out OK then kerbam. My first drone was a zero x. That thing is bullet proof . Only manual fly, crashed(learner pilot) so many times, hates wind but it has never let me down. I would like to know why things happen be it pilot error, set up error or whatever. I got a racer to check out, kept throwing props. I found three clock wise motors and a 1 anti clock had been installed. They were all turning the right way. Used a lockson nut on one of the clockwise and never had an issue since. He is chasing up another anti clock wise motor. Why won't my F550 transmitter recognise the receiver. It used to, the support app hasn't helped because it bears no resemblance to what comes on my transmitter( devo 8 s) screen. I will get it sorted one day.

I doubt that a quad (4) would ever get into the air with that combination???????

I doubt that a quad (4) would ever get into the air with that combination???????
Hi , well it did and does now but props were spinning off on one motor. Think about it, we are talking about the thread not the way the motor spins, I have enough experience to know which way props are supposed to spin.

Ok. My p 2 After a complete investigation I can clear the pilot(me) . Found one blade lower that the others (crack in the chassis) opened it up to find that compass lead had come apart. Not the lead connection but the connection onto the fight board. Not clever enough to to fix so looking for another p2 for parts. I am learning. Found another lead(GPS) loose but that may happened when I opened it up. By the look of some of the blades I got when I bought it I would say the previous owner may have been bit rough.

Last edited:
Did you use the String that comes with the Prop Guards ( If that was in the kit ) There has been one post here that the String came off & tangled in a Motor & it also crashed . After reading that , I removed mine & installed Carbon Arrow shafts , cut to fit in between the Guards & I have ran into a lot of branches & a Cement Power Pillar with no damage . Speed will be a factor , I will not take mine off , because of where I fly .View attachment 73809

Did you buy the shafts or make them? If you made them I'm interested in possibly getting some made.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart