Help, My Drone fell out of the sky, what can i do?

Reaction score
I won't go into the gory details, but my P3S literally fell out of the sky yesterday for no reason and got stuck about 60' up in a tree, not in my own yard! I had flown it many times over the past 3 weeks without error. I added the real propeller guards a couple of days ago, and this was my 2nd or 3rd flight with them on. So I am wondering if that caused this to happen, but they were the genuine real ones, not a knock off. Not only did 2 of the guards completely shatter, but one of the propellers it was supposed to protect broke in half.

I had to pay a tree guy $100 to get it down and don't yet know if it is even going to work. Seems like this device has a fatal flaw in it and am very disappointed that this can happen. I've contacted DJI and they sent me a form to fill out and send back with my flight data needed to be uploaded to their site, but they really should be paying for my $100 bill and replacing my propeller guards, but I know that will never happen. What a drain on my already thin wallet. I will be writing a pretty nasty amazon review on my experience.

Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.

yes, updat
I won't go into the gory details, but my P3S literally fell out of the sky yesterday for no reason and got stuck about 60' up in a tree, not in my own yard! I had flown it many times over the past 3 weeks without error. I added the real propeller guards a couple of days ago, and this was my 2nd or 3rd flight with them on. So I am wondering if that caused this to happen, but they were the genuine real ones, not a knock off. Not only did 2 of the guards completely shatter, but one of the propellers it was supposed to protect broke in half.

I had to pay a tree guy $100 to get it down and don't yet know if it is even going to work. Seems like this device has a fatal flaw in it and am very disappointed that this can happen. I've contacted DJI and they sent me a form to fill out and send back with my flight data needed to be uploaded to their site, but they really should be paying for my $100 bill and replacing my propeller guards, but I know that will never happen. What a drain on my already thin wallet. I will be writing a pretty nasty amazon review on my experience.

Yes, upload your logs so we can try to figure out what happened and learn from this.

If the logs reveal a hardware/software failure DJI will probably cover the props and prop guards.

You should see what the logs reveal and how DJI respond/act before getting too excited.

Reactions: Solly747400
I know you're upset and it would be hard not to be. But, I would confirm what caused it before jumping online giving a review on something so far you can't explain. Get your details and find out what happen so that your review will be more helpful and maybe warn consumers what might cause the issue you experienced. Good luck and I hope you get it figured out.

As others have said, get the details first before jumping to any conclusions. We know it is frustrating but it did not fall for no reason, we just don't know what the reason is yet [emoji848].

I use guards almost all the time too - they are not claimed to be indestructible, just improve protection for others and drone in some situations. Hopefully the very capable folk on here can assist you determine what happened from the logs, so do submit them.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Did it really fall straight down, or was it flying horizontal when it hit the tree? Like either you lost control signal or hit the RTH button and it was doing a RTH and the altitude was not set high enough? Or you hit the RTH and if you were within 65' of the home point it lands at that location. Or the battery level was too low and it landed. Just to name a few very normal reasons this type of thing could happen at no fault of the equipment. Without the logs or more details from you, it's anyone's guess. Also prop guards won't cause a drone to lose control.

Prop guards only protect from a hit straight into them and even then it depends on the speed of the hit. Their purpose is for a slowish speed bounce off and to stop some poor sod losing a nose when you fly into their face.
Weird thing is trees have branches and twigs that point in lots of different direction, so how on earth can you expect a prop guard to prevent something poking upwards into the spinning blades?
Airbags in cars are a fantastic invention but are no use when something lands on the car roof.

Did you use the String that comes with the Prop Guards ( If that was in the kit ) There has been one post here that the String came off & tangled in a Motor & it also crashed . After reading that , I removed mine & installed Carbon Arrow shafts , cut to fit in between the Guards & I have ran into a lot of branches & a Cement Power Pillar with no damage . Speed will be a factor , I will not take mine off , because of where I fly .
DSCN2755.JPG

Reactions: iAm
This happens with so many forums. People make their first post begging for help. Lots of folks chime in and give advice or ask for more details. OP is nowhere to be found. But...it's only been a day and he could be working or otherwise tied up. I wouldn't get too upset yet. I am interested in this thread too. I hope he replies!

This happens with so many forums. People make their first post begging for help. Lots of folks chime in and give advice or ask for more details. OP is nowhere to be found. But...it's only been a day and he could be working or otherwise tied up. I wouldn't get too upset yet. I am interested in this thread too. I hope he replies!
Also noticed that the OP has only ever made one post since being on the forum, this one. And within a few weeks of flying ends up getting his drone caught in a tree. But immediately blames equipment failure. Not too hard to read between the lines here. But who knows, maybe he'll post an update.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Pilot Error. Unless the OP would like to upload the logs to prove otherwise.

Mods, can we just lock this thread up?

Reactions: Suhail78
Pilot Error. Unless the OP would like to upload the logs to prove otherwise.

Mods, can we just lock this thread up?
There's no reason to lock this thread unless there's some kind of inappropriate language used, are there is a duplication where the OP made two threads on the same subject. It should be left open in case he does come back and post a update that we can work with or at least find out what DJI's determination was.

Also noticed that the OP has only ever made one post since being on the forum, this one. And within a few weeks of flying ends up getting his drone caught in a tree. But immediately blames equipment failure. Not too hard to read between the lines here. But who knows, maybe he'll post an update.

I hope so too. The thing with forums for any product is most people look for them when they have a problem. Their posts are usually a complaint or they are looking for advice to solve a problem. It seems that rarely does someone join a forum to praise their product. It's just the way is is. I would guess that there are far more happy customers than unhappy ones...by a large margin.

Personally, I join a forum to learn. I want to learn from peoples mistakes and also I want to learn how best to operate my aircraft. I want to know about new products, add ons, and modifications that made these better and more reliable. I am sure that if I do have issues, I'll be writing about them but only after I have exhausted all my efforts to fix it myself. So far this forum has been a wealth of knowledge and for that I am very grateful.

I hope so too. The thing with forums for any product is most people look for them when they have a problem. Their posts are usually a complaint or they are looking for advice to solve a problem. It seems that rarely does someone join a forum to praise their product. It's just the way is is. I would guess that there are far more happy customers than unhappy ones...by a large margin.

Personally, I join a forum to learn. I want to learn from peoples mistakes and also I want to learn how best to operate my aircraft. I want to know about new products, add ons, and modifications that made these better and more reliable. I am sure that if I do have issues, I'll be writing about them but only after I have exhausted all my efforts to fix it myself. So far this forum has been a wealth of knowledge and for that I am very grateful.

Touche,exactly how I feel and I'm New here myself...this forum is full of knowledge

Reactions: Summerpaws
Yes, they do. Just ask GoPro.

There's a difference between falling out of the sky and aggressively accelerating into the ground

:eek:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic