HELP IMU initialization failed Barometer error

Reaction score
Hi everyone I've had my Phantom 3 Pro about 4 weeks and flown it about 5 times with no problems, crashes or heavy landings. Everything is upto date with firmware and software etc I have since downgraded the firmware but still the same so Im back on the latest again and calibrated the compass several times with success. When I calibrate the IMU it says successful but errors still there.

I'm a bit lost as to what to dry next hopefully someone can help before I contact DJI

Thanks in advance

Adam

What is the exact error message displayed in DJI GO? When do you see it?

What is the exact error message displayed in DJI GO? When do you see it?

The top middle tab is red and with the text "Main Controller data error" and when you touch that to open it up it then says IMU initialization failed please restart and Barometer error please restart

Many people see this error message after crashing or dropping their Phantom. Others said it just popped up out of nowhere -- like in your case. The only two fixes I came across were banging on the side of the Phantom (like this) or replacing the memory card in the IMU. If you contact DJI support for help, they are going to suggest you send it in for repair.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Many people see this error message after crashing or dropping their Phantom. Others said it just popped up out of nowhere -- like in your case. The only two fixes I came across were banging on the side of the Phantom (like this) or replacing the memory card in the IMU. If you contact DJI support for help, they are going to suggest you send it in for repair.

Yeah thats the only two ideas I have seen, here are the screenshots of the errors and the IMU readout after calibration

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161106-103513.png
    Screenshot_20161106-103513.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,268
  • Screenshot_20161106-103519.png
    Screenshot_20161106-103519.png
    747.6 KB · Views: 751
  • Screenshot_20161106-103524.png
    Screenshot_20161106-103524.png
    643.4 KB · Views: 872
  • Screenshot_20161106-103547.png
    Screenshot_20161106-103547.png
    610.1 KB · Views: 1,178
I don't know that this will get you anywhere, but you could try reverting the firmware to 1.8.8 and then upgrade to 1.9.6.

Did the firmware successfully downgrade and upgrade?

Did the firmware successfully downgrade and upgrade?

Yes it did and looking at my screenshot of the IMU readings my values look fine so I don't think hitting it would cure the problem. Not sure if the internal SD card would help, I would like a way of knowing if the internal sd card is faulty without taking it apart first

I would like a way of knowing if the internal sd card is faulty without taking it apart first
Me too. I don't know if that's possible though. If you don't want to tinker, then contact DJI support and send it in for repair.

Me too. I don't know if that's possible though. If you don't want to tinker, then contact DJI support and send it in for repair.

This is so dam annoying though as I've only just got it and basically been kept wrapped up in cotton wool, I would understand it if I had crashed or knocked it

Where did you buy it from? If you're still within the return range for that seller, you might be able to return it.

I've connected the Phantom 3 to laptop using flight data mode this is allowing me access to the internal card. I'm copying all the flight data to laptop then I'm going to check for errors on the card and then reformat it via my PC laptop

Where did you buy it from? If you're still within the return range for that seller, you might be able to return it.

From a seller on Ebay, it was new and sealed but he is not a dealer so don't think I'll get much luck there

I bought my Advanced on EBay new knowing that DJI won't cover a warrant claim I saved $500 Aust a third off normal retail (my son talked me into it ) huge saving but if you have a flyaway ?
I asked him about the one years warranty they offered and saying DJI won't cover it .His reply was that they were a large company that by source thier products from all over the world ?
Nice little side step of the question or maybe the answer No warranty
Anyway I hope you can resolve your problem .Mine has bee trouble free so far but I should keep quiet it might hear me.

I've connected the Phantom 3 to laptop using flight data mode this is allowing me access to the internal card. I'm copying all the flight data to laptop then I'm going to check for errors on the card and then reformat it via my PC laptop

Well no luck there, the card is write protected so can't format it!

You got it. It can only be formatted if you remove it first.

you'll need a new IMU. i have several if you need one and it's not too hard to replace them. you need to open up the shell and pop the black box open and disconnect it,
reconnect a new one, calibrate the IMU and you'll be back in business.

Attachments

• DJI-Phantom-3-Main-Board-500x500.jpg
    DJI-Phantom-3-Main-Board-500x500.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 2,491
Reactions: Adam Squibb
you'll need a new IMU. i have several if you need one and it's not too hard to replace them. you need to open up the shell and pop the black box open and disconnect it,
reconnect a new one, calibrate the IMU and you'll be back in business.

How much is an IMU, are you in the UK? I've just emailed DJI to get a RMA number but the turnaround on these things is very slow I hear

i sell them for $50. i am in US but can send to UK. i think for the package small enough for that would be $20 priority to UK (5-7 days)

Reactions: Adam Squibb

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers