Help Grounded! Yellow Zone Acting Like Red No Fly Zone

Reaction score
I am getting a graphic warning that I am in a Red No Fly Zone whenever I attempt to fly within the inner yellow circle around KMRH, Beaufort, NC. I also get an audible warning of “Minus 1008”. I am unable to power up within the inner yellow circle but have no problem outside the inner circle although within the outer yellow circle.

I have unlocked the DJI Geo Fence. I have spoken with the airport manager, the National Parks Service, the FAA who in turn checked with DoD. There are no TFR’s. No one knows why I am getting a Red No Fly Zone restriction in a Class G airspace.

I am flying a P4 with Litchi.

I have not updated the drone nor the Litchi in about 8 months. The reason why is because of the nightmares (Yes, plural) I went through when updating my P4 and DJI Go 4. It’s why I switched to Litchi.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless!
Bill
Beaufort2.jpg

It just got stranger. I am currently outside of all restricted airspace and switched to DJI Go 4 app (was using Litchi) and take a look at the warning that just popped up. I am being warned of an approaching NFZ. I am not flying, just powered up.
NFZ.jpg

Strange indeed. Just for the **** of it I googled your warning earlier, “minus 1008” It brought up a thread on DroneDeploy forum from 2017 that concerned this code. It was only two posts that I could see, one the issue, and the other a suggestion to power down and reboot everything——-that apparently fixed the issue.

I don’t have a P4, so I’m just passing on info. Suggest you Google Minus 1008 and check it out. On my search it was at the top of the result page. Good luck.

I had a similar issue more than a year ago and what fixed it was deleting the DJI GO app and reinstalling. Something. Got corrupted. The clean install of the app totally fixed it.

Reactions: BigAl07 and BH1959
I had a similar issue more than a year ago and what fixed it was deleting the DJI GO app and reinstalling. Something. Got corrupted. The clean install of the app totally fixed it.
Jephoto-Although I was using Litchi at the time, I still had the Go 4 installed. Do you think that it would still effect it? Many thanks for your input. God Bless!

I get those same NFZ warnings as well on my P4 even though im far away from a No Fly Zone.
Im on the latest P4 firmware and havent used Litchi at all.
Im also using the latest GO 4 app version.

Im also interested in knowing Why this happens?

Reactions: BH1959
Jephoto-Although I was using Litchi at the time, I still had the Go 4 installed. Do you think that it would still effect it? Many thanks for your input. God Bless!
Honestly don't know. Still flying P3 Pro.
But it sounds like an issue I've had 2 times in past 3 yrs.
went to fly a few location on Chicago's lakefront and was flabbergasted by inability to take off because of " NFZ" problems.
Then I switched from my usual iPad to my iPhone and Voilá! Took off & flew immediately.
Found some posts recommending I delete GO & reinstall. Fixed. Something got corrupted in the software.

Easy to test it- use e another device & see if anything is different.

Sounds like deleting the app then reinstalling it fixes the issue.

Not sure if this helps but I was advised that if you take off from a position that is outside a yellow zone, and then fly into it, you could have problems. The solution is to take off from inside the yellow zone, then if you fly outside then back inside the yellow zone you should be ok.

I haven't been able to test this out yet, but once winter is over, and the weather improves I will do some test flights in this type of situation to confirm.

To date I have tested without flight (props removed and started the motors) from just outside a red zone. I only tested with the DJI app. It is a bit confusing and takes a few minutes to allow authorization. Once authorized, it did allow the motors to start. I was about a mile or so from the end of a runway. I then moved inside the red zone and tried the same thing. The motors would not start. I took photos of my Phantom 4 to prove the props were removed as documentation for my testing. I want to test this in more depth, and will contact the local airport to get their permission before I do a live flight test. Not that I plan on having a mission near a runway, but I want to know first hand what will happen, how much control I have and if I can navigate out of a red zone before the drone auto lands. I want to repeat this test around the yellow zone limits to also confirm that particular situation, and add it to my flight log and documentation of flight operations, flight experience and flight testing.

I have never had a problem with keeping my Phantom 4 Pro (controller and drone), Mavic Air (controller and drone), iPhone, DJI Go 4, and Epson BT-300 up-to-date. Note how many items MUST be kept in sync. You can't update any one of them and leave others back dated and assume they have been tested in the combination you choose to have.

Getting back to the flight restriction, I ran into an area that was restricted by my DJI Go 4 app. Then I used the AirMap app to file a flight plan. It was approved and my geo-fence from the DJI Go 4 app seemed to be removed. I need to do more research on this to see what really happened. I agree that flying in geo-space protected zones is an unwelcome part of flying drones.

Reactions: BH1959 and dmiles
Some of my updates are current.
My App is current at 2.1.4.
The firmware is 02.00.016.
Flight controller 03.02.35.06
Remote controller is 1.9.3
This is why I don't up date any longer. What I have works perfect . Why screw with it.

I returned to the same location today with my P4. This time everything has been uninstalled/reinstalled and updated, including my ipad. Unfortunately the results were the same. I am still getting grounded with a NFZ warning from both Litchi and DJI Go 4 although I am in Class G airspace. Again-I have spoken with the FAA, the airport manager and the National Park Service. Where I am attempting to fly is NOT a NFZ. And yes, I unlock at the DJI Geo fencing, which also shows that there is no NFZ. Can anyone think of anything that can be done to correct this problem with a false red zone/NFZ situation?
God Bless!
Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.