Has anyone here NOT crashed a drone?

january 2016, i bought my p3s,, never flew anything other than a paper airplane, bought prop guards , spare props thinking i would need them........many hours of flight later, still on the original set of props, the guards are still in the package. fly smart, fly safe , most incidents/accidents are caused by the operator.

I just got a Phantom 3 Standard as my first drone. I plan on being super conservative with it. I got to do mostly family aerial video and high B roll. Nothing too far away.

I’m a little concerned because it seems like everyone says that no matter what you will eventually crash your drone. I don’t really have the funds to replace it. So I am wondering if it’s possible to not crash if you’re careful.
Ja, semms to be possible. Almost 400 flights on a 4P4p and no problems so far. Fly over water und under bridges often and still on the 1st set of props. Switched from Apple back to Android and somehow they fixed something and absolutely no software crashes etc midair anymore. Viel glueck 2 you all

While it may be likely, based on the number of people who report that they do crash, it is certainly not inevitable. In the absence of catastrophic hardware failure, which is rare, crashes are caused by pilot error - either undue risk taking or lack of skill or attention to detail - either of which increase the probability. Would you make the same statement about manned aviation, and if not, why not?
I have been a (manned) pilot for 46 years and no accidents, but I was IN the aircraft, actually manipulating controls and had a much better visual sense of my surroundings. In RC, many people with with no experiece, are self taught. Not so in commercial or military aviation

Hi flyers!! I'm new here, got my first drone a P3S two month ago, on the first day i had a small crash ;)
hit a small bush (i was flying just to low and thought my drone was in front of the bush, but it was behind) nothing really happened, my drone still fly's today, but i was ashamed my kids witnessed all this! ;p

Nedo

if you like, here is the crash video:

I have been a (manned) pilot for 46 years and no accidents, but I was IN the aircraft, actually manipulating controls and had a much better visual sense of my surroundings. In RC, many people with with no experiece, are self taught. Not so in commercial or military aviation

Agreed, but we were not discussing the relative likelihood of crashing vs. commercial or military, but rather whether UAV accidents are inevitable. My point was that with appropriate skill and care, they are not inevitable.

Reactions: Pharm
Never crashed in over 195 flights,unless permanently parking my first drone in the top of a very tall Red Oak tree in the middle of a dense forest counts as a crash!!!

Reactions: OOO and Pharm
I have crashed various tricopters and a hex, several times. But those were all DIY, ardupilot based, and required A LOT more skill to fly than the friendly Phantom 4 Pro.

This aircraft is so polished and easy to fly that it takes some effort to crash it. It can be done, obviously, but I have to chuckle at the people nervously writing about using ATTI mode like the thing is going to instantly spiral out of control unless you concentrate so hard that you pop a blood vessel.

What people have said is right on. Pay attention, RTFM, don't be an idiot, and chances are you'll never crash a P4.

Reactions: sar104
I’ve had mine for almost 2 years. Never crashed, never a rough landing, never a “flyaway”.

My “keys” to not crashing (yet)? Not getting in a hurry, understanding how it works, understanding it’s limitations, not flying in high wind, never flying near trees, buildings, or large, nearly extinct animals, knowing the AC, following a pre-flight checklist, etc. When flying fairly long Litchi missions, I review the mission with a fine tooth comb before takeoff.

Yes, it COULD happen to me but if it does, it will almost assuredly be a mechanical or firmware/software error rather than pilot error.

You are a liar. Anyone who claims to be perfect is full of it. Not one tiny bit of pilot error? Sorry but try telling that story to little children who don't know any better.

So your answer should be, yes it could happen. Which is what his question was.
Please try to pay attention. His question was “Has anyone NOT crashed...?”, not “Could it happen?” or “Is it possible to crash?”

So, no, my answer should NOT be “yes it could happen” since that would be a rather silly answer to the question “Has anyone NOT crashed...?” (in addition to the embarrassment of not using quotes, capitalization or a comma where they’re needed).

Last edited:
You are a liar. Anyone who claims to be perfect is full of it. Not one tiny bit of pilot error? Sorry but try telling that story to little children who don't know any better.
Once again, I implore you to pay attention. I did not say I was perfect nor did I say I’d never had any pilot errors (I’ve had my share). I said I’d never crashed or had a rough landing and outlined the reasons why. I’m not quite sure how you misread and/or misinterpreted such a simple, straightforward comment. So, in essence, you’re saying that everyone else here who has also posted that they’ve never crashed is a liar and thinks they’re perfect? To out of the blue publicly call me a liar due to YOUR mistaken interpretation seems a bit over the top and perhaps indicates a bit of overcompensation for some other inadequacy on your part. Don’t be dismayed though. There ARE medications and other therapies that can help.

Last edited:
And here we go again . @Uncle Stumpy we do not call others here names and it stops here . If you want to disagree do but do so civilly .
Everyone

Be Nice.jpeg

Now back on topic :)

I just got a Phantom 3 Standard as my first drone. I plan on being super conservative with it. I got to do mostly family aerial video and high B roll. Nothing too far away.

I’m a little concerned because it seems like everyone says that no matter what you will eventually crash your drone. I don’t really have the funds to replace it. So I am wondering if it’s possible to not crash if you’re careful.
Hello there,
I hate to say this, but I have had my Phantom 3 Pro and Standard for over a year now and have not had any accidents. The only thing I can say is always go through your pre-flight checks and follow the rules, you should be fine. However, I have had a few close calls, but they would have been pilot error if had crashed, safe flying.

Trees are your enemy. My crash was because of a small thin tree branch. Everyone will tell you preflight checks and you should listen to them. A lot of guys might tell you to stay away from water but if you do everything right before you take off your coolest videos will be around water

Canyons are my enemy and I love to fly in narrow canyons :) Be extremely careful while flying in a canyon.

Two kinds of drone pilots. Those who have crashed and those who will.
I’ve had mine for almost 2 years. Never crashed, never a rough landing, never a “flyaway”.

My “keys” to not crashing (yet)? Not getting in a hurry, understanding how it works, understanding it’s limitations, not flying in high wind, never flying near trees, buildings, or large, nearly extinct animals, knowing the AC, following a pre-flight checklist, etc. When flying fairly long Litchi missions, I review the mission with a fine tooth comb before takeoff.

Yes, it COULD happen to me but if it does, it will almost assuredly be a mechanical or firmware/software error rather than pilot error.
Canyons are my enemy and I love to fly in narrow canyons :) Be extremely careful while flying in a canyon.

I am jealous that you even have a canyon to fly in!

Reactions: Newbieguy and OOO
I think you're fine if your filming b roll. Just do a preflight check before take off and check after landing. Don't do extreme maneuvers if you're not ready. Some people want to learn more and get good results by practice. Don't fly with many seagulls or pigeons around. Happy flying!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl