Hands on experience Phantom 3 - 4K plus Inside the hood Pictures

Sensor size is definitely critical, but I've always been big on optics quality and lens elements, and of course, composition.....

Sensor size is definitely critical, but I've always been big on optics quality and lens elements, and of course, composition.....
Sensor size is not so much important in professional camera that cost 2k dollars and have huge quality optic. But I hope you all knows that is not the case. We're talking about optict still worse than many phones around. My note 4 has a better optic for examplr and can shot completely noise free pictures in a lot of conditions for example. And can record in 4k too.

Hi, I saw some samples (maybe pre-production units) and don´t like as p2v+. Really I don´t think p2v+ will be better camera (we need see more final production photos to compaer), but I for sure that p3 don´t need be better in photo because, only, it´s newer model (hero3 black, to me, worse than hd2 in photos). Maybe yes, maybe no (for video, I for sure YES). Of course more options, but really p2v+ takes great photos and great look to me.

but I would buy p3, even worse "photo" camera (I saw hero3 black "photos" was worse than hero2, but I prefered it.... no problem).

Regards

I didn't like the quality of the camera of the PV2+. Max iso only 400 and shutter time only up to 1/30. This means that you have very limited possibilities for lowlightprojects.
Apart from that, the lens was very bad; the fisheyedistorsion off course and the right size of image was always very blurry. So I had to crop the picture all the time. I saw on the forums that I was not the only one with these problems.

If I compare what i have seen so far of the P3 (with thanks to Mohan and others),that camera-system performs way better.

Reactions: Meta4
Sensor size is not so much important in professional camera that cost 2k dollars and have huge quality optic. But I hope you all knows that is not the case. We're talking about optict still worse than many phones around. My note 4 has a better optic for examplr and can shot completely noise free pictures in a lot of conditions for example. And can record in 4k too.

You should look to a camera-system a chain. The overall quality is not better than the individual qualities of its parts. But every part has its own 'weight' and in my opinion the sensor is the most critical.
Off course a very good sensor and a bad lens doesn't make sense. But as fas as I can see it, the lens is not the limiting factor of the P3. The sensor is.

By the way; composition is not a camera-property.

You should look to a camera-system a chain. The overall quality is not better than the individual qualities of its parts. But every part has its own 'weight' and in my opinion the sensor is the most critical.
Off course a very good sensor and a bad lens doesn't make sense. But as fas as I can see it, the lens is not the limiting factor of the P3. The sensor is.

I agree, but because of that I think something more could have been done by dji moreover looking at what kind of quality come out from consumer phones nowadays. In the middle of 2015 launch an aerial camera with only 12mp (so you can't even reduce size to reduce noise) that as seen since now still have noise issues even in good light conditions makes me a little disappointed. Then OK has some useful shot options like timing and more ISO settings but for example what seen here even with only 2sec shutter speed is blurry...

Maybe they will do that in p3.2 when some competitor will raise the crossbar.

Last edited:

Duh....

When the P3 arrives i guess a firmware update for the bird and firmware update for the controller will be required like with the inpsire 1 out the box. Watched a few vids on this now to get to grips with it before it arrives. Apart from compass calibration will there be any other procedures to do, will the batterys need updating all so out the box. cheers

Reactions: Advexure
When the P3 arrives i guess a firmware update for the bird and firmware update for the controller will be required like with the inpsire 1 out the box. Watched a few vids on this now to get to grips with it before it arrives. Apart from compass calibration will there be any other procedures to do, will the batterys need updating all so out the box. cheers

Yes, more than likely the craft will need updating along with the controller, possibly not the batteries. That should be all that is necessary but we will be able to confirm this when first units start showing up early this coming week.

One thing I noticed when reading the Inspire 1 manual was their recommendation to calibrate the compass each time you go to a new area, with no mention of distance...Pg 49

I agree, but because of that I think something more could have been done by dji moreover looking at what kind of quality come out from consumer phones nowadays. In the middle of 2015 launch an aerial camera with only 12mp (so you can't even reduce size to reduce noise) that as seen since now still have noise issues even in good light conditions makes me a little disappointed. Then OK has some useful shot options like timing and more ISO settings but for example what seen here even with only 2sec shutter speed is blurry...

Maybe they will do that in p3.2 when some competitor will raise the crossbar.

Personally I'm not so afraid of noise. The visibility of noise is highly dependent of the (printed) size of the endproduct and also in a lesser extent the content of the image. Further, I have learned to live with noise (film grain) and even love it sometimes because it can enhance the dramatic feeling of the image. (Most of the time I'm doing theatrical photography.)

I'm much more worried about the very limited dynamic range, especially the shadow part of it. Shooting in DNG gives you some extra latitude but it remains still limited.
Also the colourgamut is limited. The images have a more or less harsh quality because it misses the richness in shades of colour and contrast.

But it is a very small sensor, so with that in mind I will be satisfied.

The key is to know what you've got to work with and accept it for what it is! I too will be satisfied!

Reading this thread is hilarious... Better pictures from a phone..lol

I for one can't wait for my P3 with all its failings and I'm with TonG and edonovanl and hope to make the best of what it has to offer.

Reading this thread is hilarious... Better pictures from a phone..lol

I for one can't wait for my P3 with all its failings and I'm with TonG and edonovanl and hope to make the best of what it has to offer.
You, are ilarious. Not only one phone, at least some. First look then speak.

You, are ilarious. Not only one phone, at least some. First look then speak.

No phone will give you a better picture than the P3.... I did look and totally disagree with what you are saying.
You seem to be totally obsessed with pixels, thinking more means a better picture... Which is wrong

Reactions: domdoha
One thing I noticed when reading the Inspire 1 manual was their recommendation to calibrate the compass each time you go to a new area, with no mention of distance...Pg 49

Yes, I noticed that as well, a bit of a departure from previous instruction. Another thing I noticed, in the DJI Pilot app, under settings, is: Calibrate Map Coordinates (For China Mainland) which as a default appears to be enabled.

I guess the app will soon shuffle itself into its pre ordained correct condition when first connected to the P3.

No phone will give you a better picture than the P3.... I did look and totally disagree with what you are saying.
You seem to be totally obsessed with pixels, thinking more means a better picture... Which is wrong
This is an hilarious idea based on nothing. My n4 shot a lot lot better pictures of p3 (at least to the ones seen here and on rcgrp). Deep colors, lesssss noise, sharper and more naturally vivid pictures, a lot more details. It's not only related to number of pixel, it is something more. The only problem is that is not 95° and don't fly. But a phantom with a camera like some high end phones would be a market killer.
Anyway to avoid extra off topic I give up, as I wrote mine is not a critic to p3 but for what I've seen until now I'd expected something more from DJI in stills. The video (mainly the ones from dji) are in some case impressive.

Last edited:
P3 Pictures

DJI_0098.JPG

DJI_0092.JPG
DJI_0096.JPG

Inspire 1 Picture

DJI_0004.JPG

My thought is if one is going to post pics for comparison, then details need to be included: aperture, shutter speed, ISO setting, white balance, RAW/JPEG, etc. You can take the same picture with a number of different exposure combinations and get bad, good, better, and best pictures of the same scene.

So I don't put too much stock in comparisons unless this data is included...but this is only my opinion...

My thought is if one is going to post pics for comparison, then details need to be included: aperture, shutter speed, ISO setting, white balance, RAW/JPEG, etc. You can take the same picture with a number of different exposure combinations and get bad, good, better, and best pictures of the same scene.

So I don't put too much stock in comparisons unless this data is included...but this is only my opinion...

All this data is embedded on the photo data. The pictures are to illustrate the auto settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing