Hand Grab / Broken Sensor Wire - Help

Reaction score
Hello,
Instead of landing my PV2 on the ground I hand grabbed it and while doing so I broke off the very slim wire. I'm not sure if it's a sensor or not. There appears to be 2 of them and they are located inside of the landing legs/skids. Can anyone tell me if I can get by with it, what's it's purpose and is there a simple fix or do I have to replace it? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_3863.jpg
    IMG_3863.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 867
It is a fairly easy fix,
Requires you ( opening up the phantom )
To get to it. I have a spare ( from a water damaged )
Phantom, I could send to you. I need your address.
Email it to me ( [email protected] )
It just PLUGS into the little circuit board, via
U.FL mini PCI plug. You'll need to peel off the white
Cloth tape around the antenna, you should have a spare
If you bought your phantom new.

Cut your armband stickers, with razor blade!
Remove ( 12 ) hex screws, and ( 4 ) Phillips screws on bottom
To open phantom up ( top is connected with wires ) no need to unhook,
Just lay top to the side ( out of your way ) ( or unhook, if easier for you ).
Get to the receiver board ( and unplug damAged antenna ) , been a while for me can't remember if you have to remove
Anything else to get to it? ) remove cloth tape around landing gear ( around antenna end ),
Pull antenna out ( take note how it was routed before you remove, so you can replace new
One the same way ) plug in new one, route it to landing gear, re-tape end around landing gear ( with cloth tape supplied with phantom ) Replace everything, and top with screws! Go fly!

Hope this helps! I can make a video for you, or I'm sure YouTube has one already!
If you feel uncomfortable doing the replacement antenna!

Take care, Fly safe!

Reactions: dirkclod
gfredrone said:
Mine went missing as well.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13020

Gfredrone:
I have 1 extra left, send your addy it is yours!
( [email protected] ) it is from water damaged phantom,
So use at own risk, but they look good, and don't look damaged!
I salvaged what I could, scrapped the rest! Please let me know?

Hope this helps!

I confirmed with the dealer with who I purchased from and their Tech indicated not to worry about the whip that fell off. In any case, for added good measure I purchased the $30 board...I hope I never have to use it!

When you say the whip, do you mean the little wire at the end of the antenna on the leg.
That is the actual antenna, (receiving element) and the bulge under the heat shrink is A
little brass tube soldered on to the shield of the wire and that is the ground plane for your antenna.

If that little wire gets broken off then you have lost you antenna and that will effect performance.

Attachments

• IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 593
I guess it's back to the drawing board...when my replacement receiver antenna board comes I'll have to get down and dirty!

UNREAL! I just did a quick flight in my back yard trying to tune my RP gimbal a bit and lost control signal at close range. It returned home and I took control and landed. Checked the control antennas and now the other one has fallen off. Calling DJI now to see if they will send me a new board with antennas on the house. This should be a warranty issue. WTF!

Swapping out antennas on your own would be very risky and replacing the receiver board looks even riskier. I went under the hood last night and the receiver board looks to be under the main controller board. It is in a very difficult spot to acess and on my opinion will need a professional repair.

Everything should just unscrew in layers. I'm starting to feel like I'm throwing good money after bad at this point with my P2V and RP gimbal experience.

Diner21959 said:
Swapping out antennas on your own would be very risky and replacing the receiver board looks even riskier. I went under the hood last night and the receiver board looks to be under the main controller board. It is in a very difficult spot to acess and on my opinion will need a professional repair.

Not at all hard just take your time I did mine in less than 30 minutes when I did upgrade
you do not need to remove all just pop the connector off and snap the new connector on don't have to change the whole board

I promise you this dji will send you nothing!
You either send it to them to be fixed (which they more than likely will charge you for parts)
and you pay UPS approx. 45.00 to ship or you just purchase a new one from any of the drone dealers selling them
or get a fpvlr pinwheel antenna and install and have even better than stock range

http://www.helipal.com/djip2-05-dji-pha ... eiver.html stock part
http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=56 upgrade just order cable as well

Hello guys,
I pm'ed about this, but I'm going to post it here as well

First :
YES, you can splice and solder antenna wires!
Watch the LATTER part of this video
http://youtu.be/1bbF77Y1KTE

Secondly
I recommend replacing the WHOLE receiver,
I tried taking off the 2 antennas from a damaged
Receiver board, they DO NOT USE SILICONE, on these connections
They use some sort of SUPER HARD EPOXY, I had to completely ruin
The receiver board to get them loose, and the epoxy does not remove
Easily, took me over 30 minutes, to scrape away epoxy enough to remove
Antennas, pulling the bases with it, I had to pry base away from mini PCI.
Maybe if you are more patient than me, but it completely SUCKED!

A new board is $30 + ship. It is worth the purchase, if something goes wrong
With the receiver, you could possibly crash and burn, trying to save $30

This is ONLY MY OPINION, but I would not risk loosing my bird for that!
New board is quite simple to replace. Just take your time, and you'll have no problem,
Everything unscrews or unplugs!

Hope this helps!

You are dealing with the equivalent of a vertical dipole antenna.

Get someone to measure the exposed wire length.

Carefully cut the outer cable insulation the distance of the exposed wire.

Carefully fold back the braid over the cable, then tape or heat shrink it in place.

Carefully remove the insulation from the center conductor that was exposed when the braid was folded back . Leave a small amount to be sure that the center conductor does not come in contact with the braid. Tape or heat shrink again, leaving only the exposed center conductor exposed.

Congrats, you just built a vertical dipole.

Range test on the ground by having an assistant watch the status lights while you walk away and periodically change from GPS TO ATTI on S1.

If range test is successful, fly it.

I also had one of those tiny antenna wires on my P2 break off. Does anyone know if the antennas (not receiver board) on the P2V and P2 are interchangeable? That is - keep the same receiver board and switch out the broken antenna with one from a P2V?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers