Hand catching DJI 4

Hold the left stick down until the motors stop.

Practice holding your Remote Control with (probably) your not favorite hand and working the left stick with your thumb or pointing finger. Catch bird by closest leg and just hold it stationary right there while the other hand holds left stick all way down. Bird turns off and everyone is happy. This works best at shoulder level or a tiny bit above to cause you to reach up under the bird out of the danger of the props.

hand catching is not a safe idea.
yeah I know it looks COOL but what happens if when you are trying to catch it and you miss it and get your hand tangled up in the props.
trip to the er.
good luck.

yeah I know it looks COOL but what happens if when you are trying to catch it and you miss it and get your hand tangled up in the props.
trip to the er.
good luck.
Yea..It's generally not safe, but only hand catch when you need to like on highly uneven terrain or sandy/dirty grounds.

Last edited:
If you do...I say catch it from the back..it has been working for me.

trip to the er.
good luck.
Yeh it's not safe. Had to hand catch mine or it would of gone in to a wall. Props mad a mess of my arm
DSC_0788.JPG

Many of us hand catch the P4 for a variety of reasons. Come at it from the back with the copter slightly above you. Slowly reach and hold a landing leg and slide the power lever back for 3 seconds until it shuts down.

Do NOT pull the copter towards you or move it around until it stops. Very important!

Anyway, I would love to know the story, in detail, of that arm hit in the message above.

Trying to catch a P4 that's about to run into a wall is not a normal landing.

AD (Hit my 200th flight on Jan 1)

Last edited:
Reactions: uavflyr
I hand catch all the time. It's either land on my arm or land on dog shît

Neon Euc

Also check out this video from Tom's Tech Time:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have hand caught since the Phantom 1.1 days (GoPro/mounted). Never had even close to an incident or accident. I have had many more 'tip over' incidents on landings on stock phantom landing legs. Since flying my P4, I have never landed on solid ground and always hand catch. Understanding the danger of hand catching and the risk of serious injury I always, use caution and take my time finding that hover point where I feel comfortable in before reaching up with right hand and grabbing leg up close to the underside of Phantom. To me it's not about "looking cool", I would just rather know once I grab it, it's safe from flipping over and causing at the least some prop damage. ~JMHO

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You would have to be beyond clumsy to "miss it and get your hand tangled up in the props".
It's very simple, you don't put your hand up into the props or do it anywhere near your face or body.

Driving on the highway, walking down stairs, cooking, boiling water, using a knife or a ladder are all much more dangerous than hand catching a Phantom.
There are safe ways reduce the risks of all those daily activities to an acceptable low level.
The same goes for hand catching a Phantom.

Watched a 3 minute video, picked up some gumption and hand caught my P4P on my fourth flight out in fairly windy conditions - was pretty simple after all, you can totally do it! Key is to not get next to your bird, stay under it, catch with right and prepare your left hand (or vice versa if you're on a different controller mode) to power down as soon as you have it in hand. As with all things drone flying if you panic you'll effup, so play it cool :sunglasses: It's a good skill to have if you don't have a clear place to land ;) plus it's kinda BA.

I don't get it? What is it with wanting to catch one with 4 rotors spinning at high speeds which could easily bugger up your digits along with other things. personally, I don't want to be anywhere near the bloody blades lol

Reactions: Kernow kev
I don't use auto land, I just set it down nice and gentle, I think auto land is a bit harsh

i agree, you have to be pretty spastic, not to be able to catch this. Hover it right above your head, in front of you, and you reach up and cut power. Props are no where near your appendages.

Making a sandwich is harder. I'll always catch, I've had a gust of wind almost turn it over a foot from the ground. Auto land is too harsh for me.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic