Hand catching DJI 4

I've hand caught a few times and agree with the thought that you'd have to be pretty reckless to get injured by it. Of course things happen, hindsight is always crystal clear and I understand why it is frowned upon. My biggest fear is having the weight of the aircraft damage the landing gear when it shuts down (the first time I did it I grabbed the gear very low and it made a 'cracking' kind of noise that I was not comfortable with). All hand catches since then I grab as high up on the leg as I can.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

My biggest fear is having the weight of the aircraft damage the landing gear when it shuts down (the first time I did it I grabbed the gear very low and it made a 'cracking' kind of noise that I was not comfortable with). All hand catches since then I grab as high up on the leg as I can.

Very true. When I make the hand catch/landing I get my thumb up on the frame while the rest of my hand is on the left rear landing strut. Seems pretty secure and does not introduce any extra stress on the structure.

AD

Reactions: ChuckPheltnic
I ALWAYS use a neck strap on the transmitter when catching/ landing, let the transmitter lean down on you chest then it makes it easy to drop the left stick down to center

I don't use auto land, I just set it down nice and gentle, I think auto land is a bit harsh

It doesn't land on the ground, you hand catch during auto landing as I said. The bird thinks it has landed, and shuts the motors down. This frees you from having to use the controller at all.

If you use auto land, you don't even need to touch the controller while hand catching.

www.multicoptertec.com
Nevert thought about that one! I bet that would make it the easiest. Two hands available to sieze the bird from the sky. I always hand catch these days... Landing is sometimes the easiest part of flying the thing.... With hand catching you just have to ensure you stay effing still and let the bird determine it has landed and is no longer descending... takes all of 3 seconds or less... As has been stated ad nauseum... STAY UNDER your bird so the blades never come near you... and obviously you don't want the bird so low it's all up in your face.

Nevert thought about that one! I bet that would make it the easiest. Two hands available to sieze the bird from the sky. I always hand catch these days... Landing is sometimes the easiest part of flying the thing.... With hand catching you just have to ensure you stay effing still and let the bird determine it has landed and is no longer descending... takes all of 3 seconds or less... As has been stated ad nauseum... STAY UNDER your bird so the blades never come near you... and obviously you don't want the bird so low it's all up in your face.

My dog got out once and tried to mouth catch my first P3S and took a blade to the nose... His nose is black and he had a pink/white streak on his nose for weeks... He's fine and doesn't even look at the P4 when I fly it now.

I hover it in arms reach and grab under the battery pack behind the gimbal between the landing gear then shut it down with the remote by pulling back on the stick (my stick actually clicks and sits down and while I don't think it's supposed to do that it works for me and I just click it down into place and it holds itself down)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I used multicoptertec's technique this weekend. Works like a CHAMP! tell it to land and grab it firmly from underneath. No controller necessary :)

I do it on my p3p when there's a risk of people rushing to it to see (everybody wants to watch dont' they?! especially kids )...during an event filming for example, and when there's not enough area to land safely..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl