Ground Footage made easy

Reaction score
Its a hand-held steadycam/dolly system to use your bird on ground shots with ease.
I do a lot of beach restaurant/coffeshop videos for clients, and they love the aerial footage but usually want some interior shots too. And with this little gizmo I only have to carry the Phantom for both jobs and get great stabelized footage both on aerial AND ground shots.
I can even attach a video light to it.

Let me know what you think :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I often walk around inside jobs lately and do perfectly fine holding my phantom by one of its arms. Nice idea but I don't see the point, I'd prefer to buy a handheld gimbal for my Samsung note 4 phone which will make it a much much lighter job and holding a much better 4k camera which the gimbal can even be used with a gopro 4 black if needed but my phones video quality is as good and isn't fisheye. Plus I won't look so stupid walking around with a drone on a handle and draw less attention

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
I ofter walk around inside jibs lately and do perfectly fine holding my phantom by one of its arms. Nice idea but I don't see the point, I'd prefer to buy a handheld gimbal for my Samsung note 4 phone which will make it a much much lighter job and holding a much better 4k camera which the gimbal can even be used with a gopro 4 black if needed but my phones video quality is as good and isn't fisheye. Plus I won't look so stupid walking around with a drone on a handle and draw less attention

Well there are several advantages: First of all PRICE: if you buy a hand-held gimbal it will not be cheap. AND its one more piece of equipment (2 if you ad a camera) to carry with you.
I usually ride a motorcycle, and I can fit all this in my phantom backpack.
The advantage of holding it with this device instead of holding on on a birds leg is clear: more practical, AND you get perfect FPV view of your phone/tablet to control framing.

About the fisheye... do you see any fisheye on the footage?:) both on ground and aerial shots, when I don't like the fisheye effect, I just remove it with an effect in FCPX.

About the "looking stupid" part... How do you feel while "holding my phantom by one of its arms"? :)

Reactions: AmosMoses
I felt very very very stupid walking around holding a phantom, sorry I looked like an asylum patient. Have you seen the size of smart phone gimbals? Eh the screen is right in front of you for fpv how do you hold your phone while looking like one flew over the cooks nest for fpv?

Last edited:
I feel very very very stupid walking around holding a phantom, sorry I looked like an asylum patient. Have you seen the size of smart phone gimbals? Eh the screen is right in front of you for fpv how do you hold your phone while looking like one flew over the cooks nest for fpv?

"I ofter walk around inside jibs lately and do perfectly fine holding my phantom by one of its arms." - How do you feel then? :)

Myself I'd use one of my DSLR inside for far better footage with a fast lens.

There is a deference between a professional and a amateur. Video taping inside a client's establishment shooting footage holding either a quadcopter or cellphone is a true sign of an amateur.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
There is a deference between a professional and a amateur. Video taping inside a client's establishment shooting footage holding either a quadcopter or cellphone is a true sign of an amateur.
Absolutely Jason, you are dead right. There are cases of Hollywood films that make millions of dollars being made by very clever students by only using cheap cameras like phones, but they are on their way to greatness with their education and ingenuity. I would hope that we on the otherhand wouldn't resort to walking around with a bladeless phantom that's looking like a 3d printed handbag. The 2 times I have done this is to see how the phantom camera would react to the low light and a dry run of sorts before i fly in there but because my lack of professional grade equipment I would much prefer to use my 4k phone on a 3 axis gimbal rather than walk around with a phantom. If seeing guys walking around with a phantom being used as a hanheld camera becomes as common place as those idiots who walk around with an ipad as a camera I'm selling everything I have to do with this hobby. I shudder at the thought...

This kind of speech reminds me of my colleagues (I'm a photographer too) when mirrorless cameras first appeared.
Some said they would not use them for a photography gig because if a customer saw their small cameras, they could think they wore amateurs :)
So.. you guys do video with an amateur drone, but are ashamed of using the same for indoor footage?
of course a dSLR is better for that. But a good one, AND a gimbal for it is MUCHHHH more money and much more material do carry.
Why don't you live up to the same standards with aerial footage? get a drone that carries a dSLR.

Fortunately my customers love the results, and don't care the tools I use to accomplish what they pay me to do.
If appearance is more important than doing it to your customer liking, than probably this product is not for you.
But it that is true.. are you sure you want to be seen flying a white toy-like drone and telling people you are filming? :)

And Mal_PV2_Ireland, I didn't got your opinion: so you think you are stupid if people see you hand-filming with your drone, But you think you look good with your cellphone on a hand gimbal? now that would be cool... "yes sir! I'll make a video of your company with my cell phone and you pay me, right?"

Reactions: AmosMoses
it's a good idea and even has a built in phone holder so you can actually view the shot you're getting. might be better in white so it looks like an OEM part though rather than some high vis aid.

Reactions: macsoft
it's a good idea and even has a built in phone holder so you can actually view the shot you're getting. might be better in white so it looks like an OEM part though rather than some high vis aid.
Thanks, it comes in white too, but I myself like a little bit of contrast :)

Wanted to dislike the device but it's very well thought out (design is great) and I see it serving a real purpose.

IMHO, $35 or perhaps even $40 would be a better price than $45.
Thanks, its all about material spent, time it takes to print (about 5 hours) and time and material spent in R&D.
Plus, $35 is a cellphone hood in all of ebay.
And its about price placement: DroneExpert.nl is selling a similar product for $72.

Hmmmm... I want a ferrari for helping with the 2 AP idea if you get rich from this! :)

Will post up the howto once you have another and are ready to go :)

Reactions: macsoft
One of our first customers review on the Elephantom. Not is favorite color, but seams nice :):
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When your Elephantom arrives, please review it for the forum too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.