Greetings everyone, an enthusiastic hello from the Gulf Coast, USA

Jub

Reaction score
Hello everyone ,

We are new to drones, and our needs as photographers require that we finally take the plunge and purchase one of these mystical marvels of technology. My wife and I have decided to purchase the DJI Phantom 3 SE. For what it is, we think that there is no better choice to, pardon the lack of a better phrase, “pop our cherry on”. It’s not too terribly large of a financial investment. After doing much research online, and talking to a few others, we made the collective decision that this would be the best idea. As for expectations of the photo/video quality, we aren’t expecting what our DSLR’s can do. The 4K video was the ultimate determine factor for us. Having that capability makes it basically the perfect drone in my opinion for a beginner. Please help us get to know our new device and what to expect from it. If everything goes as planned, we will purchase it on Nov. 21. Besides the obvious additional battery and memory cards (by the way is there a max size allowed), what other accessories will be needed? Please keep budget friendly or DIY tips coming in. We have 4 lenses to purchase in Q1 2018, each costing over $2K. We thank you in advance for any help that is or isn’t given.

Clear and windless skies to all,

Jub and the Mrs.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Welcome, where are you on the Gulf Coast? Maximum storage on a micro SD card is 64GB for the Phantom 3 SE. You didn't mention what your budget is. Buying 4 lenses at 2K each makes me think you enjoy extremely high image quality. I think you would be wanting to upgrade to a better camera shortly after your purchase of a P3SE. For less than 2K you get get into a Phantom 4 Pro with an extra battery or two and a much higher quality camera. There are many more advantages to getting a more current Phantom, new or used. Once we know your budget we can help you better.

Our complete budget for the drone is about $1K total. Yes, image quality is very important. We are buying sone very sharp, fast, and expensive lenses to cover a few different photographic needs. Also, this is our first drone ever, besides the toy I’ve been playing with around the house. After extra batteries, a pelican case, and filters, I don’t imagine much will be left, and, if the mrs approves, we can get something like an inspire later if we talk to the bank......, oh, and we are in Gulf Shores, AL.

Understood and good plan, there are a couple good looking deals in the classified section right now. Good luck with your search.

As far as the accessories it seems you have a pretty good grasp of it. Extra batteries, protective case, ND filters, and whatever monitor you will use. Add some sort of shade for the monitor, maybe a small landing pad for the sandy beaches of Gulf Shores and the area and you will have a good package.

We plan on an iPad for it, and I’m assuming one of my DSLR neck straps will work as a lanyard

We plan on an iPad for it, and I’m assuming one of my DSLR neck straps will work as a lanyard

Ipads are great for a lot of things but looking at them in highly reflective and bright sun is not their best feature. If you are going to use one search for Hoodman sun shades, they work well and attach securely. Probably not in your budget yet but look at the Crystalsky monitors from DJI. They excel in being able to view in bright light. There is a section for that in this forum also.

You, kind individual, are a wealth of information, and we thank you as you allow us to pick your brain, and I’m thinking maybe one of my foldable lens cases might be able to work as a screen shade. If not, I’ll have my maker friend 3D print me one

Welcome to the forum, @Jub! :)

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopters.

What ND filter set is recommended for the phantom 3 se? Everything I see on the inter web is contradictory. Not more than 2 sites suggest that one set is better than the other....I’m probably going to need 4,8, and 16 stops for some of the photos I intend to take. One question, is the aperture on this camera adjustable? I see the 4 has one, but I also don’t have a clear answer on this either. Knowing that one fact, I’ll better be able to know exposures and shutter length.

Reactions: OOO
Well, we ended up getting the Phantom 3 Standard. So far we are impressed with the ease of operation and the stills are decent enough..... We were unable to purchase the SE as the supply dwindled before we could attain one. Plus, the savings offset the cost of the case. Overall thrilled with the drone. Nothing bad to say about it...yet

Hello. Order a 15 $ dollar set of windsurfers of the internet to possibly improve you range.

We were looking at the range extenders. Oh, we got an incredible warranty....3 years no hassle replacement. Sometimes Walmart is a good thing.....

Reactions: Newbieguy
I get some pretty impressive range out of my P3S with the windsurfers. I also fly out in the country with very little interference. Congratulations on your purchase and warranty. Happy flying!

Have second battery and a lowepro kit to put in an existing pelican case otw. Looking to get iPad holder (getting inspire mount will have to punch or drill a hole) and the more efficient gimble guard/lens cap. Having trouble locally sourcing filters....

Sounds like you're well on your way.

Adding the Inspire Mount is a great idea. I still can't believe the toy crap they sold with the P3S. It's an easy install and you'll be glad you did.

I just added a Hoodman to my inventory and it's some of the best $$ I've spent so far. My only regret is I didn't do it years ago. I bought 3 different sunshades trying to save a few dollars and the hoodman system is made for the professional who needs to have a clear screen and easy access to the screen (touch screen).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor