Graceful Yaw with P3A?

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 3 Advanced and find the default yaw response not just too fast but too "instant". I can dial down the gain so it's easier to manage yaw at the stick, but what I'm really looking for is a dampened response to the yaw control. Is there a way to accomplish this in the DJI app? Would Litchi or whatever be better for this?

By dampened, I mean if you give the stick a certain amount of input, the yaw begins very slowly and the rate of yaw increases over a small period of time to the yaw speed that the stick position would correspond to. The goal is a more graceful, pleasing yaw for videos.

Like a fluid head for drones! ;-)

I found some posts here talking about RC hardware mods, adding a switch to change the stick's electrical characteristics, but that's a fair amount of effort and still I think doesn't quite achieve what I want.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks!

I was one who modified my p2+ rc with a switch to give a slow yaw. Worked great. However, if you are trying to do slow pano videos with the P3, just use the point of interest mode, then it will fly in a smooth circle as small as 5m radius, at an adjustable speed. I usually point the camera straight ahead so that it is at a tangent to the circle it is flying. That gears the pan down even more. Provided you have plenty of altitude, the offset of the circle is invisible, and the pan is silky smooth.

Last edited:
I was one who modified my p2+ rc with a switch to give a slow yaw. Worked great. However, if you are trying to do slow pano videos with the P3, just use the point of interest mode, then it will fly in a smooth circle as small as 5m radius, at an adjustable speed. I usually point the camera straight ahead so that it is at a tangent to the circle it is flying. That gears the pan down even more. Provided you have plenty of altitude, the offset of the circle is invisible, and the pan is silky smooth.
Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to use POI mode more. Frankly up until now I've only done manual flying and for some things, like a few weeks ago I just wanted to fly straight down a road, I find it almost impossible.

I'm still new at this so I haven't even played with Course Lock mode yet. D'oh!

I also on an impulse just bought Litchi. At roughly the cost of a nice set of windsurfers it's inexpensive enough and seems very promising if you don't mind putting some work into programming courses. It's certainly popular enough among members here. When looking at Litchi I saw other apps available too such as Autopilot but that's more than twice as expensive and I don't see much mention of it. I wonder what folks here think of it, independently and compared to Litchi.

PS, while digging around just now I stumbled upon this post. Not sure how much of that translates from the P4 to my P3A but I'll see next time I get the drone out of its box. Just looking for the most organic possible movements.

For what it's worth I also found it a pain to get gimbal pitch control where I'd like it, without being too "notchy" in its movement or being to slow and laggy. But I'm sure I'll get it settled.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj